1. #5301
    We gave you the best advice, shut the fuck up and make the game before you talk shit like James has been doing the past 3 years.

    And it is really hard to take this ´new´ company seriously since James has already done the same thing in the past. ´I am in control of GM now, I am CEO of MMOI and Jason is just a silent member of my board of directors´..

    Oh, but we should believe you now, because you know, it is YOU this time, and not just some random nobody that nobody has heard of before.. oh wait.. you are some random nobody that nobody has heard of before. Care to list the games you have completed? Asteroid clones are great! But nobody should worry, because now Joel is here to save the day.

    You sound so similar to Jason back during the KS. Vetting people who are just throwing themselves at you to work for you.
    Last edited by Azrile; 2015-04-08 at 10:00 AM.

  2. #5302
    If you think he is trying to 'white knight' for the KS backers then you have really missed the point.

  3. #5303
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Is that branding? Can you please define it again?
    Branding/Image also applies to public perception, which is the facet I'm referring to in this instance. It seems you're so bent on arguing, that you're willing to subvert an entire conversation to keep the pressure on. I'm not quite sure what you think you're doing, aside from maybe bolstering your ego by 'white knighting' the poor KS backers. You've misappropriated nearly every one of my points to near ludicrousness. I never said the 'art' was the image. But here you go, down the rabbit hole.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    What exactly is there to be transparent about? How many people are working on this game RIGHT NOW? Who is backing this game? How long will you seek funds from other companies before shelving this project?

    I just don't get WHY you'd want this 'project' to be under your company/personal name. A 3 year project that has had its name drug through the mud and 100k in Kickstarter money basically being wasted isn't exactly the image I'd want to project.
    Right now, we have about 10 people of various backgrounds and various commitment levels, with more in the pipeline being vetted. I am backing this company at present. We will release this game no matter what. Whether it's taking a while because we're financing it ourselves, or with help from publishers or investors. This project will NOT get shelved. It WILL be released to our best efforts.

    We didn't *want* this project. I told James to run. After Interdiction Studios passed on it, we thought about it. We thought about all of the money that people have spent, and how much James worked on this project. I assumed the risk of acquiring a damaged IP so that we may have the tools to fix it, and after this release goes, the next project. Even if the game turns out to be a monumental failure, my hope is that people will *see* what we've done to correct the mistakes. At least then, people will see effort being made to fulfill the commitment.

    You're also exactly right about negative image. Which is why I'm focused on imaging and branding. This company is NOT responsible for wasting KS money - We haven't seen a dime of it. We haven't had our name drug through the mud - We're coming on to finish what was started incorrectly (in my opinion). I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but that's not why I do things. I don't choose the easy path. This was a perfect chance for us to use the attention of GM (however negative) to show people the changes, and to listen to the negative feedback to strengthen ourselves. We're in a great position from a QA standpoint; We've already got a pack of vicious naysayers that'll tear our game to shreds each release. My hope is that as updates continue, the list of qualms shrinks. All we can do is move forward, and see what happens.

  4. #5304
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
    Branding/Image also applies to public perception, which is the facet I'm referring to in this instance. It seems you're so bent on arguing, that you're willing to subvert an entire conversation to keep the pressure on. I'm not quite sure what you think you're doing, aside from maybe bolstering your ego by 'white knighting' the poor KS backers. You've misappropriated nearly every one of my points to near ludicrousness. I never said the 'art' was the image. But here you go, down the rabbit hole.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Right now, we have about 10 people of various backgrounds and various commitment levels, with more in the pipeline being vetted. I am backing this company at present. We will release this game no matter what. Whether it's taking a while because we're financing it ourselves, or with help from publishers or investors. This project will NOT get shelved. It WILL be released to our best efforts.

    We didn't *want* this project. I told James to run. After Interdiction Studios passed on it, we thought about it. We thought about all of the money that people have spent, and how much James worked on this project. I assumed the risk of acquiring a damaged IP so that we may have the tools to fix it, and after this release goes, the next project. Even if the game turns out to be a monumental failure, my hope is that people will *see* what we've done to correct the mistakes. At least then, people will see effort being made to fulfill the commitment.

    You're also exactly right about negative image. Which is why I'm focused on imaging and branding. This company is NOT responsible for wasting KS money - We haven't seen a dime of it. We haven't had our name drug through the mud - We're coming on to finish what was started incorrectly (in my opinion). I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but that's not why I do things. I don't choose the easy path. This was a perfect chance for us to use the attention of GM (however negative) to show people the changes, and to listen to the negative feedback to strengthen ourselves. We're in a great position from a QA standpoint; We've already got a pack of vicious naysayers that'll tear our game to shreds each release. My hope is that as updates continue, the list of qualms shrinks. All we can do is move forward, and see what happens.
    See that is the thing. You guys may not be the ones that got the KS money but when you took on this game you are now the ones behind the game that had a KS generate 100k and in 3 years hasn't gotten close to producing a game. That may not be fair but it is exactly what it is. Any negative light is going to be shone on the people working on the game.

  5. #5305
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    We gave you the best advice, shut the fuck up and make the game before you talk shit like James has been doing the past 3 years.

    And it is really hard to take this ´new´ company seriously since James has already done the same thing in the past. ´I am in control of GM now, I am CEO of MMOI and Jason is just a silent member of my board of directors´..

    Oh, but we should believe you now, because you know, it is YOU this time, and not just some random nobody that nobody has heard of before.. oh wait.. you are some random nobody that nobody has heard of before. Care to list the games you have completed? Asteroid clones are great! But nobody should worry, because now Joel is here to save the day.

    You sound so similar to Jason back during the KS. Vetting people who are just throwing themselves at you to work for you.
    Fair points. I have nothing to say to satisfy your arguments. All I have is a commitment. If that's not good enough for you, then I'm sorry. I'm not asking for your trust. I'm asking for your attention. If you don't like something - Say it. But please - At least make it constructive. Calling me a random nobody doesn't really help anything. You've said it yourself - No big-time dev would take this on. Maybe I'm a dreamer. Maybe I'm stupid. Who knows? Time will tell. All I can do is try my best, and deal with people like you making assumptions and personal attacks.

    I've never said I was special. I never said we were perfect. Is that what you really took away from all that I've typed? I never said that people were 'throwing themselves at us.' Again, more presumption. Silliness.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    See that is the thing. You guys may not be the ones that got the KS money but when you took on this game you are now the ones behind the game that had a KS generate 100k and in 3 years hasn't gotten close to producing a game. That may not be fair but it is exactly what it is. Any negative light is going to be shone on the people working on the game.
    ...and we're painfully aware of that reality, but our own desires are not the priority; Getting the KS backers a game is. We'll either be forged in the flame of criticism, or burn up in it. Either way is fine by me. At least at the end of the day we can say we gave it our all.

  6. #5306
    What is the point of backing this game? You aren't the one that got the KS money so why do this to yourselves? You are like trying to be the hero of the day and save GM from incompetence but you keep one of the people that is incompetent involved in the project. You are supposedly going to toss your own money at this project to fulfill KS backers and to also finish this game in hopes that it does what exactly?

    You are like trying to fulfill the KS agreement by giving people t-shirts and then being okay with the game if it gets released and it is a total failure? I mean you think a failed game will look good for your new company?

  7. #5307
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    If you think he is trying to 'white knight' for the KS backers then you have really missed the point.
    Not even sure what I am doing here LOL.

    But one point to remember, James is the one who wasted the KS money, and he is still a key part of the new company to the point where he was calling himself CEO of it. No doubt a big part of their branding will be to diminish the appearance of James going forward, but he is still going to be the main one making the game.

  8. #5308
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Not even sure what I am doing here LOL.

    But one point to remember, James is the one who wasted the KS money, and he is still a key part of the new company to the point where he was calling himself CEO of it. No doubt a big part of their branding will be to diminish the appearance of James going forward, but he is still going to be the main one making the game.
    I wouldn't let that James guy anywhere near a project if I was trying to build something. That type of person just makes the company look even worse. And by type of person I mean clueless/incompetent.

    As to what you are doing here Azrile, calling attention to potentially scammy things and pointing out what can and can't be done with Unity. I mean look at what GM produced in 3 years...yeesh that video gives me nightmares. Same thing with ToA you called attention to a lot of shit they were doing and look at how they turned out.

  9. #5309
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    What is the point of backing this game? You aren't the one that got the KS money so why do this to yourselves? You are like trying to be the hero of the day and save GM from incompetence but you keep one of the people that is incompetent involved in the project. You are supposedly going to toss your own money at this project to fulfill KS backers and to also finish this game in hopes that it does what exactly?

    You are like trying to fulfill the KS agreement by giving people t-shirts and then being okay with the game if it gets released and it is a total failure? I mean you think a failed game will look good for your new company?
    I'm a traditional person. I've known James, and I've worked with him. I believe in him. Has he made mistakes? Many. Will I allow him to repeat those? No. I'd like to think that my work will stand on its own, and people can judge for themselves at how I conducted myself, and how this company handled the project. Some projects just fail. Even your favorite AAA devs have had massive failures. It's part of the game. However, if somebody sees that we honored pledges, and fought until the very end, I'd say that at least gets us a few respect points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Not even sure what I am doing here LOL.

    But one point to remember, James is the one who wasted the KS money, and he is still a key part of the new company to the point where he was calling himself CEO of it. No doubt a big part of their branding will be to diminish the appearance of James going forward, but he is still going to be the main one making the game.
    I completely agree that James has misspoken a LOT since the inception of GM. I've taken him to task on multiple occasions regarding this. He understands that he's partially-responsible, which is why he's here to try and rectify a lot of these issues. I admire that.

    I stand by James. He's not perfect, and I'm working with him on that, but he's a man I admire, and will work with moving forward. We're making some big moves, and hopefully it doesn't blow up in our faces. Then again, you'll never know unless you try. ;-)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    As to what you are doing here Azrile, calling attention to potentially scammy things and pointing out what can and can't be done with Unity. I mean look at what GM produced in 3 years...yeesh that video gives me nightmares. Same thing with ToA you called attention to a lot of shit they were doing and look at how they turned out.
    Which is the type of feedback I appreciate ENORMOUSLY. I never said we were perfect, and I'm *always* willing to bend an ear to hear a potentially-better solution.

  10. #5310
    James is all over their forums again... And guess what, that other guy.. the one from the videos who blamed everything on Jason and nothing on James... he is going to be their new community manager... I really did not see that coming...

    I hate being a dick.. but

    I've known James, and I've worked with him. I believe in him.

    Have you ever seen him finish a project? has he accomplished ANYTHING except talk on the forums? We posted a long list of his half-done crap that he brags about one day,then abandons the next.

    Again, not to be a dick. But he was working on GM for three years and was able to produce nothing except a horrible video with extremely bad performance issues. Nothing else he has worked on.. actually works. He has the attention span of a gnat and the fact that he lives with his mother and does´n´t even have ID yet.... I just have a hard time taking seriously that you believe in him... why? There is nothing in his professional life ( not that he is allowed to have one) would indicate that he is anything more than MAYBE some schlep you let volunteer to do QA

    ** I apologize in advance to all you schleps I ask to do free alpha testing for us later on **
    Last edited by Azrile; 2015-04-08 at 10:23 AM.

  11. #5311
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
    I'm a traditional person. I've known James, and I've worked with him. I believe in him. Has he made mistakes? Many. Will I allow him to repeat those? No. I'd like to think that my work will stand on its own, and people can judge for themselves at how I conducted myself, and how this company handled the project. Some projects just fail. Even your favorite AAA devs have had massive failures. It's part of the game. However, if somebody sees that we honored pledges, and fought until the very end, I'd say that at least gets us a few respect points.
    jrhager did you WATCH that video that was released for GM? You believe in someone that produces THAT after 3 years of work? Fighting to the end for 'respect points' really means nothing if you fail to release the game. You may not see it that way but that isn't how it will be remembered. It'll be like talking about ToA and the many failures it had and there will be no mention of the 'respect points' (not that they really earned any).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
    I completely agree that James has misspoken a LOT since the inception of GM. I've taken him to task on multiple occasions regarding this. He understands that he's partially-responsible, which is why he's here to try and rectify a lot of these issues. I admire that.

    I stand by James. He's not perfect, and I'm working with him on that, but he's a man I admire, and will work with moving forward. We're making some big moves, and hopefully it doesn't blow up in our faces. Then again, you'll never know unless you try. ;-)
    And taking him to task accomplished what exactly? From what I understand this James guy continues to make an ass of himself on the forums. Partially-responsible? That dude got all sorts of tools PAID for to create a game and didn't even get CLOSE to accomplishing that in 3 years. Again go look at the video from January. That guy is far more than partially-responsible. He's the one that was putting out videos that just looked awful and showed how poor a job was being done with the KS money.

  12. #5312
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    James is all over their forums again... And guess what, that other guy.. the one from the videos who blamed everything on Jason and nothing on James... he is going to be their new community manager... I really did not see that coming...
    He was the former community manager that came back after Jason left. Not sure what your point is...

  13. #5313
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
    He was the former community manager that came back after Jason left. Not sure what your point is...
    Usually when you take over a project that was a massive failure you start by cleaning house, not by empowering the same clueless people to continue to do the same shoddy work.

  14. #5314
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    jrhager did you WATCH that video that was released for GM? You believe in someone that produces THAT after 3 years of work? Fighting to the end for 'respect points' really means nothing if you fail to release the game. You may not see it that way but that isn't how it will be remembered. It'll be like talking about ToA and the many failures it had and there will be no mention of the 'respect points' (not that they really earned any).

    - - - Updated - - -

    And taking him to task accomplished what exactly? From what I understand this James guy continues to make an ass of himself on the forums. Partially-responsible? That dude got all sorts of tools PAID for to create a game and didn't even get CLOSE to accomplishing that in 3 years. Again go look at the video from January. That guy is far more than partially-responsible. He's the one that was putting out videos that just looked awful and showed how poor a job was being done with the KS money.
    I have to say - I've been crunching numbers, and the tools that we acquired from Jason are a FAR cry from the entire money that was pledged. As far as milestones, I agree. They got too caught up in the details, and lost track of the top-down sight. I'm aiming to correct this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Usually when you take over a project that was a massive failure you start by cleaning house, not by empowering the same clueless people to continue to do the same shoddy work.
    There was nothing that led me to believe that this particular action was needed and/or justified. Again, it all comes down to leadership. I believe that the team was solid, and was mis-managed. That's my personal belief, and changes will be made should progress not continue.

  15. #5315
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    and if you put that in even a single player game, you are looking at 10 FPS. Gassy did some nice work though. I said before, he should be putting his stuff up for sale on the asset store.
    10 FPS would be worth, but I doubt it would run that low. The unreal engine has always been pretty darn solid and the new one is looking like it will continue that. OK a beast of a rig would be required but it'd run well IMO. Saying that didnt the previous unreal engine get released for general use not that long ago?

    If it is, may have to grab that and have a little prattle around in it.
    Last edited by khalltusk; 2015-04-08 at 10:32 AM.

  16. #5316
    Haha, as soon as this thread is about to wither away, it rises out of the ashes like a phoenix. Thank you jrhager84 for doing the exact same thing as the ToA-scrubs did before you, come in here and defend the game.

    No matter how much you keep posting here on this irrelevant thread, it's not gonna help you. Start making the game. If I was an actual developer, not a self-proclaimed one, I would not give a flying fuck about what's going on in this thread. I would work on the game, not waste time arguing "but we're SO a gaming company! You'll see!"

    Grown the fuck up.

  17. #5317
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    Haha, as soon as this thread is about to wither away, it rises out of the ashes like a phoenix. Thank you jrhager84 for doing the exact same thing as the ToA-scrubs did before you, come in here and defend the game.

    No matter how much you keep posting here on this irrelevant thread, it's not gonna help you. Start making the game. If I was an actual developer, not a self-proclaimed one, I would not give a flying fuck about what's going on in this thread. I would work on the game, not waste time arguing "but we're SO a gaming company! You'll see!"

    Grown the fuck up.
    Waste time arguing? I was unaware that I was a programmer, so I didn't really realize that talking on here was impeding progress on the game. Funny how your ENTIRE comment is riddled with insults and flippant remarks, and you close it with 'Grow the fuck up.'

    Maybe heed your own advice? Just a thought.

  18. #5318
    I believe that the team was solid, and was mis-managed. That's my personal belief, and changes will be made should progress not continue.

    You sound exactly like Jason from 2012. You think leadership and team-building is enough? it isn´t. This is computer programming, not marketing. You do not know enough to recognize incompetence. You will fall into the same trap Jason did. You will have to trust James and the other guys when they make excuses for failures. It will never be their fault, they just need XXXX now because YYYYY did not do what they thought it would. Read the chat logs, that is exactly what he did to Jason. Nothing was ever his fault, and there was always a miracle fix coming in a few weeks. He has already pulled it on you with this UMA2 stuff. I am in no way a network expert, but I know UMA, and there is NOTHING coming that is going to help your game in any significant way.

  19. #5319
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
    Waste time arguing? I was unaware that I was a programmer, so I didn't really realize that talking on here was impeding progress on the game. Funny how your ENTIRE comment is riddled with insults and flippant remarks, and you close it with 'Grow the fuck up.'

    Maybe heed your own advice? Just a thought.

    I like this guy . I hope the transition goes well and people who donated get the game they wanted.

  20. #5320
    Quote Originally Posted by Adalaar View Post
    I like this guy . I hope the transition goes well and people who donated get the game they wanted.
    Lol yeah because they are TOTALLY going to make it happen with the same guy who produced that video after 3 years of work. THAT is the person doing the coding not this person talking a good game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •