Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    If you think he is trying to 'white knight' for the KS backers then you have really missed the point.
    Not even sure what I am doing here LOL.

But one point to remember, James is the one who wasted the KS money, and he is still a key part of the new company to the point where he was calling himself CEO of it. No doubt a big part of their branding will be to diminish the appearance of James going forward, but he is still going to be the main one making the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post

But one point to remember, James is the one who wasted the KS money, and he is still a key part of the new company to the point where he was calling himself CEO of it. No doubt a big part of their branding will be to diminish the appearance of James going forward, but he is still going to be the main one making the game.
    I wouldn't let that James guy anywhere near a project if I was trying to build something. That type of person just makes the company look even worse. And by type of person I mean clueless/incompetent.

As to what you are doing here Azrile, calling attention to potentially scammy things and pointing out what can and can't be done with Unity. I mean look at what GM produced in 3 years...yeesh that video gives me nightmares. Same thing with ToA you called attention to a lot of shit they were doing and look at how they turned out.

What is the point of backing this game? You aren't the one that got the KS money so why do this to yourselves? You are like trying to be the hero of the day and save GM from incompetence but you keep one of the people that is incompetent involved in the project. You are supposedly going to toss your own money at this project to fulfill KS backers and to also finish this game in hopes that it does what exactly?

You are like trying to fulfill the KS agreement by giving people t-shirts and then being okay with the game if it gets released and it is a total failure? I mean you think a failed game will look good for your new company?
    I'm a traditional person. I've known James, and I've worked with him. I believe in him. Has he made mistakes? Many. Will I allow him to repeat those? No. I'd like to think that my work will stand on its own, and people can judge for themselves at how I conducted myself, and how this company handled the project. Some projects just fail. Even your favorite AAA devs have had massive failures. It's part of the game. However, if somebody sees that we honored pledges, and fought until the very end, I'd say that at least gets us a few respect points.

I completely agree that James has misspoken a LOT since the inception of GM. I've taken him to task on multiple occasions regarding this. He understands that he's partially-responsible, which is why he's here to try and rectify a lot of these issues. I admire that.

I stand by James. He's not perfect, and I'm working with him on that, but he's a man I admire, and will work with moving forward. We're making some big moves, and hopefully it doesn't blow up in our faces. Then again, you'll never know unless you try. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

As to what you are doing here Azrile, calling attention to potentially scammy things and pointing out what can and can't be done with Unity. I mean look at what GM produced in 3 years...yeesh that video gives me nightmares. Same thing with ToA you called attention to a lot of shit they were doing and look at how they turned out.
    Which is the type of feedback I appreciate ENORMOUSLY. I never said we were perfect, and I'm *always* willing to bend an ear to hear a potentially-better solution.

James is all over their forums again... And guess what, that other guy.. the one from the videos who blamed everything on Jason and nothing on James... he is going to be their new community manager... I really did not see that coming...

I hate being a dick.. but

I've known James, and I've worked with him. I believe in him.

Have you ever seen him finish a project? has he accomplished ANYTHING except talk on the forums? We posted a long list of his half-done crap that he brags about one day,then abandons the next.

Again, not to be a dick. But he was working on GM for three years and was able to produce nothing except a horrible video with extremely bad performance issues. Nothing else he has worked on.. actually works. He has the attention span of a gnat and the fact that he lives with his mother and does´n´t even have ID yet.... I just have a hard time taking seriously that you believe in him... why? There is nothing in his professional life ( not that he is allowed to have one) would indicate that he is anything more than MAYBE some schlep you let volunteer to do QA

** I apologize in advance to all you schleps I ask to do free alpha testing for us later on **
    Last edited by Azrile; 2015-04-08 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
    I'm a traditional person. I've known James, and I've worked with him. I believe in him. Has he made mistakes? Many. Will I allow him to repeat those? No. I'd like to think that my work will stand on its own, and people can judge for themselves at how I conducted myself, and how this company handled the project. Some projects just fail. Even your favorite AAA devs have had massive failures. It's part of the game. However, if somebody sees that we honored pledges, and fought until the very end, I'd say that at least gets us a few respect points.
    jrhager did you WATCH that video that was released for GM? You believe in someone that produces THAT after 3 years of work? Fighting to the end for 'respect points' really means nothing if you fail to release the game. You may not see it that way but that isn't how it will be remembered. It'll be like talking about ToA and the many failures it had and there will be no mention of the 'respect points' (not that they really earned any).

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree that James has misspoken a LOT since the inception of GM. I've taken him to task on multiple occasions regarding this. He understands that he's partially-responsible, which is why he's here to try and rectify a lot of these issues. I admire that.

I stand by James. He's not perfect, and I'm working with him on that, but he's a man I admire, and will work with moving forward. We're making some big moves, and hopefully it doesn't blow up in our faces. Then again, you'll never know unless you try. ;-)
    And taking him to task accomplished what exactly? From what I understand this James guy continues to make an ass of himself on the forums. Partially-responsible? That dude got all sorts of tools PAID for to create a game and didn't even get CLOSE to accomplishing that in 3 years. Again go look at the video from January. That guy is far more than partially-responsible. He's the one that was putting out videos that just looked awful and showed how poor a job was being done with the KS money.

James is all over their forums again... And guess what, that other guy.. the one from the videos who blamed everything on Jason and nothing on James... he is going to be their new community manager... I really did not see that coming...
    He was the former community manager that came back after Jason left. Not sure what your point is...

He was the former community manager that came back after Jason left. Not sure what your point is...
    Usually when you take over a project that was a massive failure you start by cleaning house, not by empowering the same clueless people to continue to do the same shoddy work.

jrhager did you WATCH that video that was released for GM? You believe in someone that produces THAT after 3 years of work? Fighting to the end for 'respect points' really means nothing if you fail to release the game. You may not see it that way but that isn't how it will be remembered. It'll be like talking about ToA and the many failures it had and there will be no mention of the 'respect points' (not that they really earned any).

- - - Updated - - -

And taking him to task accomplished what exactly? From what I understand this James guy continues to make an ass of himself on the forums. Partially-responsible? That dude got all sorts of tools PAID for to create a game and didn't even get CLOSE to accomplishing that in 3 years. Again go look at the video from January. That guy is far more than partially-responsible. He's the one that was putting out videos that just looked awful and showed how poor a job was being done with the KS money.
    I have to say - I've been crunching numbers, and the tools that we acquired from Jason are a FAR cry from the entire money that was pledged. As far as milestones, I agree. They got too caught up in the details, and lost track of the top-down sight. I'm aiming to correct this.

- - - Updated - - -

Usually when you take over a project that was a massive failure you start by cleaning house, not by empowering the same clueless people to continue to do the same shoddy work.
    There was nothing that led me to believe that this particular action was needed and/or justified. Again, it all comes down to leadership. I believe that the team was solid, and was mis-managed. That's my personal belief, and changes will be made should progress not continue.

and if you put that in even a single player game, you are looking at 10 FPS. Gassy did some nice work though. I said before, he should be putting his stuff up for sale on the asset store.
    10 FPS would be worth, but I doubt it would run that low. The unreal engine has always been pretty darn solid and the new one is looking like it will continue that. OK a beast of a rig would be required but it'd run well IMO. Saying that didnt the previous unreal engine get released for general use not that long ago?

If it is, may have to grab that and have a little prattle around in it.
    Last edited by khalltusk; 2015-04-08 at 10:32 AM.

Haha, as soon as this thread is about to wither away, it rises out of the ashes like a phoenix. Thank you jrhager84 for doing the exact same thing as the ToA-scrubs did before you, come in here and defend the game.

No matter how much you keep posting here on this irrelevant thread, it's not gonna help you. Start making the game. If I was an actual developer, not a self-proclaimed one, I would not give a flying fuck about what's going on in this thread. I would work on the game, not waste time arguing "but we're SO a gaming company! You'll see!"

Grown the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    Haha, as soon as this thread is about to wither away, it rises out of the ashes like a phoenix. Thank you jrhager84 for doing the exact same thing as the ToA-scrubs did before you, come in here and defend the game.

No matter how much you keep posting here on this irrelevant thread, it's not gonna help you. Start making the game. If I was an actual developer, not a self-proclaimed one, I would not give a flying fuck about what's going on in this thread. I would work on the game, not waste time arguing "but we're SO a gaming company! You'll see!"

Grown the fuck up.
    Waste time arguing? I was unaware that I was a programmer, so I didn't really realize that talking on here was impeding progress on the game. Funny how your ENTIRE comment is riddled with insults and flippant remarks, and you close it with 'Grow the fuck up.'

Maybe heed your own advice? Just a thought.

I believe that the team was solid, and was mis-managed. That's my personal belief, and changes will be made should progress not continue.

You sound exactly like Jason from 2012. You think leadership and team-building is enough? it isn´t. This is computer programming, not marketing. You do not know enough to recognize incompetence. You will fall into the same trap Jason did. You will have to trust James and the other guys when they make excuses for failures. It will never be their fault, they just need XXXX now because YYYYY did not do what they thought it would. Read the chat logs, that is exactly what he did to Jason. Nothing was ever his fault, and there was always a miracle fix coming in a few weeks. He has already pulled it on you with this UMA2 stuff. I am in no way a network expert, but I know UMA, and there is NOTHING coming that is going to help your game in any significant way.

Deleted
    Waste time arguing? I was unaware that I was a programmer, so I didn't really realize that talking on here was impeding progress on the game. Funny how your ENTIRE comment is riddled with insults and flippant remarks, and you close it with 'Grow the fuck up.'

I like this guy . I hope the transition goes well and people who donated get the game they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalaar View Post
    I like this guy . I hope the transition goes well and people who donated get the game they wanted.
    Lol yeah because they are TOTALLY going to make it happen with the same guy who produced that video after 3 years of work. THAT is the person doing the coding not this person talking a good game.

What exactly is your intent as far as "giving the backers a game"? Is it just going to be playable? Is it going to be within the scope presented to the backers? What games have your developers worked on so we have an idea of their work?

These are just a handful of questions that need to be taken into consideration when trying to instill some kind of acceptance into people, especially those who have frequented this thread. We've seen the same things come from the ToA crowd, and look where they are.

What exactly is it that YOU do as far as GM is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    10 FPS would be worth, but I doubt it would run that low. The unreal engine has always been pretty darn solid and the new one is looking like it will continue that. OK a beast of a rig would be required but it'd run well IMO. Saying that didnt the previous unreal engine get released for general use not that long ago?

If it is, may have to grab that and have a little prattle around in it.
    Yeah, Unreal is free now, which is probably the thing that forced Unity to make Unity Pro 5.0 free, which was like a Christmas present for me, complete surprise that saved me $1500.

People do benchmarks all the time comparing Unity to Unreal. There really isn´t that much of a difference as far as what kinda FPS you can get with the exact same scene. I may be remembering it backwards, but Unity 4.0 vs Unreal, Unreal did better up until you started using more than one light source or something like that. The difference was never big enough to make me use it. For unreal, you need to know C++ which is ´real´ programming. Unity uses C# which is more like javascript and built for accomplishing things for games. That was always my reason for using Unity and Hero Engine ( HE uses it´s own script language that is similar to C#)

I believe that the team was solid, and was mis-managed. That's my personal belief, and changes will be made should progress not continue.

You sound exactly like Jason from 2012. You think leadership and team-building is enough? it isn´t. This is computer programming, not marketing. You do not know enough to recognize incompetence. You will fall into the same trap Jason did. You will have to trust James and the other guys when they make excuses for failures. It will never be their fault, they just need XXXX now because YYYYY did not do what they thought it would. Read the chat logs, that is exactly what he did to Jason. Nothing was ever his fault, and there was always a miracle fix coming in a few weeks. He has already pulled it on you with this UMA2 stuff. I am in no way a network expert, but I know UMA, and there is NOTHING coming that is going to help your game in any significant way.
    Far from it. I know enough to get by, but certainly am no expert. In that sense, I *do* have friends who *are* experts. People who I can rely on to help me if/when needed. Also, from a team standpoint, the additional of new members will ensure that everything moves forward smoothly. If someone is disjointed, it will become apparent quickly. The reason we need the new avatar system is to go with Atavism. Atavism is on our short-list, as we own the license for it. However, we're currently exploring other options that would be better-suited. It also comes down to cost-benefit and time to recode. We don't want to start over, but we'll go as far back as we have to to ensure that we have a stable platform to deliver this game. If you have any ideas - I'm ALL ears. Seriously. Feedback is important. If you dedicated HALF the time helping me as you did criticizing me, then we'd probably release this year! hahaha

I appreciate the kind words. It's had its bumps, but we're making progress.

I was unaware that I called you a programmer, can you point it out for me? You are working on this "project", yes?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhager84
    I'm glad I don't share the same bleak vision as you in regards to this acquisition. I meant you're the minority, as the majority of feedback I've seen personally has been a LOT more positive than your remarks. Even the negative has been constructive, and has helped us move forward. There really isn't anything resembling legitimate critique in your responses, really. You hate the game. Ok. Noted. We're making it better. You think we're doomed. Great. I disagree.
    Are you not?

If yes, why are you here? Surely, there must be hundreds of different ways for you to spend your time, rather than sitting here on MMOC and defending yourself?

And indeed, my comment is a ridicule of you, because that's what you are. A joke. You cherrypick the questions you want to answer and avoiding shit like this:

You mean the ´image´ of the priest and the elf on the website? Yeah, Unity Asset Store $25 each I believe. I think the hog-man is $35.

Here, I will help you out if you want to sue Unity for stealing the copyright on your branding

Elf Girl $10
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4286

Your amazing branding.. you didn´t even bother to use your own render... nope, just stole the picture directly from the artist.

Here is pig head $40
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3770

Again, didn´t even bother to do your own render, just stole it from the artist and put it on your website for branding.

And here is the Priest also $40

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2259

But you are in luck, those last two were done by the same artist, so when you sue them for copyright infringement, you only need to sue two people.

Is that branding? Can you please define it again?
    You argue around definition of words (branding) but don't have shit to brand.

So yes, grow the fuck up.
    Last edited by Maddoc; 2015-04-08 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    What exactly is your intent as far as "giving the backers a game"? Is it just going to be playable? Is it going to be within the scope presented to the backers? What games have your developers worked on so we have an idea of their work?

These are just a handful of questions that need to be taken into consideration when trying to instill some kind of acceptance into people, especially those who have frequented this thread. We've seen the same things come from the ToA crowd, and look where they are.

What exactly is it that YOU do as far as GM is concerned?
    Our goal is to provide the backers with a game that is as close to the original concept as possible, within the scope of our abilities. Our old Creative Lead (of which we're trying to get back) did QA for Sony. Others do freelance work for various mobile games/indie titles/etc. Nobody is a 'rockstar' if that's what you're going for.

I handle the business side of MMOI/GM. I ensure top-down operation, and make sure milestones are being hit. (read: I'm the whip-cracker). I also handle fiscal planning, critical pathing of labor and resources, and maintaining sustainable growth rates. I field PR, and help source labor and tech (servers, etc.) I also finance a lot of this right now.

I´ve read the plans for GreedMonger. There is no way they are going to pick people up off the street and accomplish anything like they have planned. If James keeps being the man, it is never going to get made. If they turn it over to someone competent, they are going to start from scratch. Nobody competent is going to look at what happened so far with this game and want to join the team. Again, you have the same problem as ToA.. There are some unique ideas, but anyone that could accomplish them would just do it themselves and stay away from the mess. If I had the networking chops to do the housing and plot system that GM wants to do, I would not join GM, I would just do it myself with a fresh kickstarter and no bad press. The same way if I wanted to make a game with permadeath and spider characters, I wouldn´t join ToA, I would just do it myself. GM and ToA, less than zero right now.