Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    And with the SEC getting involved next year, crowdfunding will have greater legal guidelines that will help protect investors, and hopefully will lead to more oversight of the system. ToA and GM were early breakouts because KS was still in its potato salad days. People stood up and screamed 'WE WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENT AND AWESOME GAMES YOU WANT!' and got money thrown at them site unseen. In some cases this was good(I think of projects like Mighty No. 9, for example)and in others bad.
    I'm pretty sure there are no shortage of people that would characterize Mighty No. 9 as an example of the bad. A lot of people backed out of funding it due to the developing company's lack of candor and misguided conduct.

Next potential Kickstarter Scam Game? even has a "not-dev" coming in to post (who created the thread). The sad thing is this KS has a lot of money tossed at it already.

If it's a scam, it's a much better constructed one than we've seen, save maybe for Pantheon. Just have to wait and see.

If it's a scam, it's a much better constructed one than we've seen, save maybe for Pantheon. Just have to wait and see.
    Dunno some of the buzzwords from the other thread are what I focus on, mainly the 12 years/1 person working on the game kinda stuff.

Quest for earth was title of the MMO they wanted to make with a full galaxy but thats way too ambitious. So they are making a smaller scale game atm.
    From that topic, why does that sound familiar?

Not sure.. 12 years of development, someone easily forks over 250 dollars.. yea a bit fishy

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    From that topic, why does that sound familiar?

Not sure.. 12 years of development, someone easily forks over 250 dollars.. yea a bit fishy
    I mean the Kickstarter is far beyond what ToA/GM had combined but still way too many red flags for my taste.

It is a little different than ToA. I think the only mistake they made was he mentioned that 12 years thing without clarifying it. Obviously he meant it to show that he has been dedicated to this project, but at the same time it makes people question why he hasn´t completed more. Mostly it was just making toilet paper notes, which is meaningless. He hasn´t actually been developing anything for nearly that long.

The only other thing that raises a flag for me was the poster in this forum, but to be honest, he sounds just like a very young fan who went overboard. The devs sound fairly mature, I think if they were spamming forums, they would be a little more subtle about it.

I would never donate to this project at this point, mainly because some of the big technical hurdles they are promising to overcome they haven´t started working on yet. I am not going to be the judge/jury. but in my mind, if you are an indie with no track record, and you are promising to break tech hurdles that other bigger games could not do, you need to do that part of your project first. What is mostly likely to happen with this project is they are going to do the easy stuff, then at the end figure out they can´t do the big tech things, and players will end up with just a very watered down version of many similar games without some of the grande tech promises

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    that 12 years thing

Suggestion:
    Take an art test or coding test and apply for EA or Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    What is mostly likely to happen with this project is they are going to do the easy stuff, then at the end figure out they can´t do the big tech things, and players will end up with just a very watered down version of many similar games without some of the grande tech promises
    Sounds kind of like what's going on with ToA. They keep showing very simple things as proof of progress on their part. But it's to be expected, since they have no money and next to no one doing actual work on the game itself.

OMG such amazing work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv_gq0t7feo

Again, they act like this is progress. Show PLAYER CHARACTERS interacting with a WORLD, and maybe I'll think you've accomplished something.

OMG such amazing work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv_gq0t7feo

Again, they act like this is progress. Show PLAYER CHARACTERS interacting with a WORLD, and maybe I'll think you've accomplished something.
    Remember the days when any stupid youtube video from those fools would have a few thousand views? Man, wonder what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Remember the days when any stupid youtube video from those fools would have a few thousand views? Man, wonder what happened?
    They stopped massaging the numbers harder than an aircraft carrier's worth of Navy personnel on shore leave in Bangkok, Thailand?

And new Dev Blog. Longtime fanboy gets upgraded to team member(who now has decades of programming experience, apparently if you can type 10 PRINT TOA IS GOD! 20 GOTO 10 you're a programmer), another team member realizes what a sham it all is and quits, and more vague progress claims accompanied by another mediocre model video.

Deleted
    And new Dev Blog. Longtime fanboy gets upgraded to team member(who now has decades of programming experience, apparently if you can type 10 PRINT TOA IS GOD! 20 GOTO 10 you're a programmer), another team member realizes what a sham it all is and quits, and more vague progress claims accompanied by another mediocre model video.
    Decades of experience!

We're getting to meet 2 new programmers in the coming weeks. It'll be hilarious if they were long-time fans too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Decades of experience!

We're getting to meet 2 new programmers in the coming weeks. It'll be hilarious if they were long-time fans too.
    Haha the 'team' is bigger than the fan base now, considering they keep recruiting 'programmers with decades of experience' from their fan base.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys seen the thread for a new MMO via Kickstarter?

The Kickstarter video is even more cringe than it was a few days ago.

Oh look build a MMO for 100k!? These guys must be rock stars.

- - - Updated - - -

They've been stuck at the 20kish mark for a week now, so with luck they don't even get close.

Who quit and what did he do for them?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Talon-Thorn? The one obssesed with ToA? The one that made this: http://toa.talonthorn.com/
    This guy here: http://trialsofascension.com/forum/t...lpha-toa.4743/ ?

Oh dear...
    Yeah...

I believe it is pretty clear that the best way to go ahead, lacking a financial supporter (single, or crowdfunded), is to get a really good team of programmers on board by giving them shares of the company. They won't get paid anything until/unless the game gets made and is at least somewhat successful. Now, isn't that how start-up companies do it?
    So...is this how they find all of their 'employees'? Anyone who says they will work for free? Yikes. I guess if they are using willfully free labor we can't fault them for making an actual game. Not sure how that translates legally though...even if you contract help you are responsible for some form of pay. You can't make people work for nothing with official employment b/c that is illegal.

Makes me wonder what types of shady contracts/agreements they are concocting over there.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Who quit and what did he do for them?
    His name was Geoff. Looking at the dev blogs I don't see him mentioned by that name as doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    So...is this how they find all of their 'employees'? Anyone who says they will work for free? Yikes. I guess if they are using willfully free labor we can't fault them for making an actual game. Not sure how that translates legally though...even if you contract help you are responsible for some form of pay. You can't make people work for nothing with official employment b/c that is illegal.

Makes me wonder what types of shady contracts/agreements they are concocting over there.
    They basically give them shares of the profits, however what constitutes a share and what constitutes a profit are up for definition. IMO what it'll amount to is people devoting what time they can until they either get tired of working for nothing or get tired of putting up with the other people on it and then being forced to walk away with nothing, since I pretty much guarantee their contract will stipulate any work they do is the property of the company and not the employees, and terminating employment means forfeiting your shares and any claim to your efforts in perpetuity.

Eventually they'll run out of people willing to try and cobble things together, or they'll be so far behind the curve in development versus advances in underlying technology they'll scrap it and start over(again), or they'll manage to throw some misshapen abomination out there, have it flop miserably and be faced with going back to the drawing board or finally quitting.

At this point, I think they have more 'fans' among us than they do in their own 'community'. But we'll see.

Deleted
    Geoff was CyberNacho, one of the original 2 programmers that got announced after the failed kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Geoff was CyberNacho, one of the original 2 programmers that got announced after the failed kickstarter.
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out. So looks like the inevitable happened, one of them realized this wasn't worth their time anymore and quit. But as we've said, long as they have pie-eyed fanboys ready to do their bidding, they can keep suckering people into donating their help.