1. #7081
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    So many things that could be said, but um...so this happened.
    Surprising, to say the least. Supposedly he may post his reasons, but if he does I rather doubt he'll publicly state all of them.

    More importantly though: who will pilot the Raknar along very specific waypoints in a cave now?

  2. #7082
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    So many things that could be said, but um...so this happened.
    So they lost that Creative Director who didn't create or direct much of anything, and co-founded ........... what exactly does that group do? He's leaving the monies?

    lol
    [...] so if you think you have the chops to work with us [...]
    Nobody has the chops to........
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2016-01-18 at 09:08 PM.

  3. #7083
    And the churn continues. Can they keep slapping people on top faster than they slide out from under the bottom? Also, testable by end of first quarter? Of what, their 20th anniversary of 'development'?

  4. #7084
    Do not worry, next week Brax is going to announce that his mom has joined the team, and she also has 10 years of programming experience.

    Their test will be exactly what Proctor does.. it will be a character running around an empty world doing nothing. In other words, what most people can do in an hour in Unity. It will be a fraction of what they had on demo island.

  5. #7085
    Man I haven't checked here in months now, what's new? Any major goss or shenanigans lately?

    EDIT:

    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Jesus, that is just 'lol'-worthy.
    Last edited by Exerionx; 2016-01-19 at 07:11 AM.

  6. #7086
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    21,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Do not worry, next week Brax is going to announce that his mom has joined the team, and she also has 10 years of programming experience.

    Their test will be exactly what Proctor does.. it will be a character running around an empty world doing nothing. In other words, what most people can do in an hour in Unity. It will be a fraction of what they had on demo island.
    It's amazing that everyone posting on their forums are programmers with 10+ years of experience. It would normally be difficult to find experienced people in a high tech profession that are willing to work for free, but somehow ToA forums are 100% these people.

    Like....ok. Real talk here. This has gone past the point of being a scam (which in hindsight looks more like a scam from negligence and ignorance than intention) and into the realm of really awkwardly bad. They really need to just go away, get whatever people they think they need, and stay under the radar like an indie team until they have some form of a product.

    When like...1 or 2 people can make games like Terraria on their own, I really don't want to hear status updates over a decade from a group of people trying to make an MMO and not producing a single piece of playable content. At this point, I'd love to see ToA actually become a game(weirdly enough)...but it seems like it will take everyone originally associated with it to leave and let people who actually work or strive to work in the industry manage it.

    I can't tell if the people in charge are sociopaths or just the dumbest people on the planet. They say that trying the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of stupidity. Well...
    BAD WOLF

  7. #7087
    I think of this scene from My Cousin Vinny:

    This is what ToA is doing, has done from the beginning. They care more about how it all looks than they do about producing anything. It's in how they present everything they have done, are doing and will continue to do. They shine it up in the best possible light imaginable, they make mountains out of molehills, because they are afraid if they do anything less, the thin tissue of support they have will vanish.

    Look at how much interest dropped off after the second KS, when people who had been rabidly supporting them turned and fled to other games. They're terrified of this happening again, cos they know this time there won't be any recovery. They want as much support, as much attention as they can grab onto, to hope beyond hope that if they can reach a playable state, push the game out for some kind of sale, they can keep holding on to the dream.

    Otherwise they have to admit to themselves they spent 15 years on something that went absolutely nowhere. That's a hard admission to make, IMO.

  8. #7088
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Otherwise they have to admit to themselves they spent 15 years on something that went absolutely nowhere. That's a hard admission to make, IMO.
    Yet back when the project started 10+ years ago they pretended to be a team that was working together producing a game. Then they did that magic vanishing trick for a number of years. I mean outside of talking a good game Brax and Co has hardly ever 'worked' or spent time on it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    It's amazing that everyone posting on their forums are programmers with 10+ years of experience. It would normally be difficult to find experienced people in a high tech profession that are willing to work for free, but somehow ToA forums are 100% these people.

    Like....ok. Real talk here. This has gone past the point of being a scam (which in hindsight looks more like a scam from negligence and ignorance than intention) and into the realm of really awkwardly bad.
    It is funny how they keep finding these 10+ year experience people that are also clueless when it comes to Unity and other programs though. I also love how they gloss over one of the Co-founders leaving and just continue like nothing happened.

    It may not be a scam anymore (I still feel it was 10+ years ago and think some donation money might have been...used up in wrong ways). So moving past the scam state into...tragedy is pretty sad to watch. It is funny looking at their forums from last year and this year how things have changed. So many less people and no more rapid new posting fanboys popping up either. Youtube videos and posts on their forums have pitiful view counts when last year it was all inflated.

    The problem is they dug their own grave, even if they do get to the point with releasing something even remotely playable I think they buried any hype/attention they would have gotten. Now everything they do is sub 500 views and no hype at all. They would have been better served staying quiet and working on their project but as you say, they are attention seekers and they go about it the wrong way.

  9. #7089
    I still think that they're are terrible at word choice. It is one thing to say you have 10+ years of experience programming, and another to say you started programming 10+ years ago. Heck, I started programming HTML as a freshman in HS, which would be about 10 years ago; do I have 10ish years of programming experience? No, I say what it really is: started 10ish years ago, dabbled a bit, began again in college a few years ago, dabbled a bit more; I am a novice at most. I tinkered with the SC2 editor, does that make me a programmer? I downloaded Unity (and here it sits with nothing done for over a year), does that give me a year of programming experience. I made a basic HTML website with some CSS a few years ago, does that make me a professional?

    I'll just say, that there has been a particular person that has plagued my family...just about all my life (23). She lies, and deceives, puts blame on others, has poor word choice, and lies, and deceives, and lies some more, and just overall is a terrible person. For instance, she said that she has considerable experience in a particular program that goes with her job. Well, she refused to actually do the work with that program and had someone else do it, but still states that she is the one with experience. Worst part is, the next company she worked for, has my mom (that other person) and her, and she actually has the nerve to ask my mom about using it (when my mom knows explicitly that she knows nothing but still claims to know, well, everything). Or changing her own personal 'logs' to better fit her agenda, than, you know, reality (and what system logs and program logs and security tapes would actually show).

    To me, it all looks like exaggeration and bragging, with little to no humility. Because word choice coming from a (supposedly professional) company/business is very important. And I don't just mean this for just ToA, but also for Greedmonger stuff, and in general for just about anything as well.
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible! ~Kamina, Gurren Lagann

    ...You'll kill my dick?! What the hell does that even mean? I'll kill your dick! ~Grayson Hunt, Bulletstorm

  10. #7090
    Quote Originally Posted by Gattsu125 View Post
    To me, it all looks like exaggeration and bragging, with little to no humility. Because word choice coming from a (supposedly professional) company/business is very important. And I don't just mean this for just ToA, but also for Greedmonger stuff, and in general for just about anything as well.
    Unfortunately, people tend to believe what they're told unless given good reason to question it. Even then, if others around them believe it, the 'Emperor's New Clothes' phenomenon kicks in often as not. So it generally ends up being more about faith than about facts.

    Certainly some of their supporters have faith that ToA is going to be a real playable game just as the devs claim, just like there are people out there who believe Donald Trump's really going to build a wall along the Mexico border, or Hillary Clinton's going to make sure everyone gets free college educations.

  11. #7091
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    This is what ToA is doing, has done from the beginning. They care more about how it all looks than they do about producing anything. It's in how they present everything they have done, are doing and will continue to do. They shine it up in the best possible light imaginable, they make mountains out of molehills, because they are afraid if they do anything less, the thin tissue of support they have will vanish.

    Look at how much interest dropped off after the second KS, when people who had been rabidly supporting them turned and fled to other games. They're terrified of this happening again, cos they know this time there won't be any recovery. They want as much support, as much attention as they can grab onto, to hope beyond hope that if they can reach a playable state, push the game out for some kind of sale, they can keep holding on to the dream.

    Otherwise they have to admit to themselves they spent 15 years on something that went absolutely nowhere. That's a hard admission to make, IMO.
    There was never any chance with 3 posers who had no programming skills and no funds, managing the technical details of such a project. Any hope of recovery already disappeared with Teddy and the second ks failure. They sound like 8 year olds but pathetic and ignorant, "I can build the best video game with no skills and money cause I've played some."

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gattsu125 View Post
    -snip-

    To me, it all looks like exaggeration and bragging, with little to no humility. Because word choice coming from a (supposedly professional) company/business is very important. And I don't just mean this for just ToA, but also for Greedmonger stuff, and in general for just about anything as well.
    To me, it looks like ToA and GM people are pioneers of a new mental disorder. I mean this in a very genuine clinical sense. I've never seen such delusions and extreme extents to keep it up, or such a need for approval from strangers. At least one of them can see the bs for what it is.

  12. #7092
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Oh my fucking God /facepalm
    Haha yeah that quote from Varl about "sixteen years in total" "ever going to be and end to game development". Like really? How much work did you REALLY fucking do Varl? Close to none.

    Even funnier that he wanted to have 'direct GM' involvement with people in a fucking MMO. That guy was delusional as all hell. Still amuses me he quit though, wonder what the REAL reason was.

  13. #7093
    They always said that was the kind of thing they wanted to do. And if that was his primary reason for involvement, then yeah...he's superfluous. I can't help but think it probably went further than that, but the end result is the same.

    One down, two to go.

  14. #7094
    Yeah, except no, it wouldn't work; especially not in an MMO and it amazes me that seems to have been a big reason for Varl leaving.

    On one hand, a part of me feels happy that there are some people who see only the positive aspects of an idea because they just can't imagine why or how it could go badly. On the other hand, a part of me sometimes wakes up in a cold sweat at 03:00 and thinks, "Holy shit, there are people out there who will do something with the best intentions because they just can't imagine why or how it could go badly".

  15. #7095
    Man this thread is STILL DELIVERING!

    So Greed monger drama is back, Why oh why is he at it again?

  16. #7096
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Man this thread is STILL DELIVERING!

    So Greed monger drama is back, Why oh why is he at it again?
    Azrile pointed out some new plugin for Atavism came out, so that probably helped spur it back into 'development'. That and his incessant need to have his ego stroked, see his post a couple pages back where he feels the need to point out he's not going to argue with people on here. When he could have just...not posted on here at all...

  17. #7097
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Azrile pointed out some new plugin for Atavism came out, so that probably helped spur it back into 'development'. That and his incessant need to have his ego stroked, see his post a couple pages back where he feels the need to point out he's not going to argue with people on here. When he could have just...not posted on here at all...
    Yeah and he is full of it... I'm not using ANYTHING related to Atavism in any way... It's called GameMachine... Look it up before you guys go spreading false information...

  18. #7098
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOIJamesPro View Post
    Yeah and he is full of it... I'm not using ANYTHING related to Atavism in any way... It's called GameMachine... Look it up before you guys go spreading false information...
    LOL - good job with taking the high road and staying away! Please come again.

    Here's a link to gamemachine (I think) since Mr. Proctor feels the need to be ever so transparent.

    Welcome to Game Machine
    Game Machine is a modern platform for large scale realtime games such as mmo's and moba's. Massive scalability and ease of use make it the most productive platform for creating complex multiplayer games.

  19. #7099
    Quote Originally Posted by NotADevAlt View Post
    LOL - good job with taking the high road and staying away! Please come again.

    Here's a link to gamemachine (I think) since Mr. Proctor feels the need to be ever so transparent.
    Yes that's it. As you can see it's a Framework NOT a kit like Atavism... Before I was invited to beta test the LandRush Plugin for it everything was custom coded by ME... Some of the stuff I coded overlaps with LandRush but LandRush provides more functionality then what I had coded to date so I'm using it and my other custom code is being brought into it and updated to work with LandRush's systems.

    Also believe me... I AM taking the high road by not posting everything I would like to. Somethings are better left unsaid... Haters are going to hate regardless of what I or anyone else says.

  20. #7100
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    They always said that was the kind of thing they wanted to do. And if that was his primary reason for involvement, then yeah...he's superfluous. I can't help but think it probably went further than that, but the end result is the same.

    One down, two to go.
    It's funny that the only thing he could do was plan GM interaction with players. I'd like to know if there's any successful people in the gaming industry with their only "skill" being making shit up for GMs to do with players.

    Quote Originally Posted by MMOIJamesPro View Post
    Also believe me... I AM taking the high road by not posting everything I would like to. Somethings are better left unsaid... Haters are going to hate regardless of what I or anyone else says.
    Well the thing here is people are hating because of your actions. So it's justified hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •