Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    What makes Mass Effect this generation's most accessible sci fi universe?

    It seems like most of the people I know who enjoy something in space other than Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy only have experienced Mass Effect. They have never heard of masterpieces like BSG and B5. Star Trek never interested them.

    What makes Mass Effect the most accessible sci fi universe?

    Babylon 5 is better written and the Mass Effect devs took much inspiration from Babylon 5.

    I didn't know Rampage Jackson and Freddie Prinze Jr enjoyed Mass Effect.


    Do you think they will ever make a sci fi universe that is better and would appeal to an audience beyond gamers, hardcore sci fi fans, and celebrities?

  2. #2
    it doesn't. there are other sci-fi games with a more accessible, plausible, and quite frankly more interesting, universe than mass effect.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    3,982
    I love how easy it is to know this is OP's thread based only on the title.

    Also, the answer to your question is nothing because it isn't.

    What makes pineapple the best pizza topping? See, I can ask nonsense questions that contain at best opinions stated as fact and at worst blatant falsehoods. It's fun!

  4. #4
    I suppose great writing (all the way until ME3's ending) with a very good cast of relatable characters goes a long way. There's really not that many space sci-fi games at all, and as far as RPGs go... Well, there's basically only ME. Go long enough in the past and there's KotOR, but if you want to play a modern space RPG, ME is your only bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

  5. #5
    You'd have a point if ME3 and Andromeda wasn't dog shit.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    You'd have a point if ME3 and Andromeda wasn't dog shit.
    Nothing wrong with ME3 besides the cheap as sin endings.

  7. #7
    Old God Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    10,514
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Do you think they will ever make a sci fi universe that is better and would appeal to an audience beyond gamers, hardcore sci fi fans, and celebrities?
    What you are experiencing is confirmation bias... nothing more... nothing less... I've been gaming since the 80s and never once considered playing a Mass Effect title... Played most of the Star Wars ones, Played most of the Star Trek ones, even tried the BSG one... avidly watched anything BSG, and I still rewatch the B5 shows.

    There is nothing about Mass Effect that attracts me.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  8. #8
    Always found it lacking compared....to even Star Wars EU, honestly.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    What you are experiencing is confirmation bias... nothing more... nothing less... I've been gaming since the 80s and never once considered playing a Mass Effect title... Played most of the Star Wars ones, Played most of the Star Trek ones, even tried the BSG one... avidly watched anything BSG, and I still rewatch the B5 shows.

    There is nothing about Mass Effect that attracts me.
    I think you're missing out then, as a Sci-Fi fan.

    The story isn't particularly ground breaking, but it is a good story and the game play is pretty good.

    If you enjoyed those things, I think you'd enjoy Mass Effect 1- 3 anyway.

    What was it about ME that just doesn't appeal to you?

  10. #10
    Old God Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    10,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I think you're missing out then, as a Sci-Fi fan.

    The story isn't particularly ground breaking, but it is a good story and the game play is pretty good.

    If you enjoyed those things, I think you'd enjoy Mass Effect 1- 3 anyway.

    What was it about ME that just doesn't appeal to you?
    I dont do shooters for one.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I love how easy it is to know this is OP's thread based only on the title.

    Also, the answer to your question is nothing because it isn't.

    What makes pineapple the best pizza topping? See, I can ask nonsense questions that contain at best opinions stated as fact and at worst blatant falsehoods. It's fun!
    came in to say this, but since you already said it - quoting for truth.

    look. I love mass effect, but honestly OP....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I dont do shooters for one.
    I used to not do shooters, and then i decided that some stories are worth playing and third person shooters don't feel as bad as first person (mass effect 1 and 2 in particular have a pause function, which makes combat feel a lot less like a shooter and a bit more like an rpg)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I love how easy it is to know this is OP's thread based only on the title.
    Right?

    I literally only clicked it to see if anyone had already pointed this out.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    3,795
    Because there are many Space Opera shows and books while there aren't that many games (that aren't strategy or some shit). In fact I don't know any other space opera game like mass effect that isn't 20+ years old.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    it doesn't. there are other sci-fi games with a more accessible, plausible, and quite frankly more interesting, universe than mass effect.
    I disagree. Mass Effect has some of the best lore in modern sci fi gaming.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    You'd have a point if ME3 and Andromeda wasn't dog shit.
    ME3 was fantastic. Ending sucked, but the game was top notch. Awesome depiction of PTSD and the cost of war despite it's fictional setting. The game was unmatched emotionally and did a great job portraying what it wanted to portray.

    Ending sucked.

    Andromeda was another story. Was a fun game, terrible ME game.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I think you're missing out then, as a Sci-Fi fan.

    The story isn't particularly ground breaking, but it is a good story and the game play is pretty good.

    If you enjoyed those things, I think you'd enjoy Mass Effect 1- 3 anyway.

    What was it about ME that just doesn't appeal to you?
    Is a "ground breaking" story even a possibility anymore?

    With the shear mass consumption of media that most of western society has access to, I it seems we've already "seen it all." Fundamentally there aren't new stories left to be told, just different details and different levels of quality. The best we can essentially get is a different story, well told.

  16. #16
    Just this week I've started probably my 5th attempt at the ME series. I've heard for years how great they are, but the first game feels so dated at this point. Driving around in the Mako(?) kills it for me everytime. I hoping this time is different, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

  17. #17
    I don't know about that. I tried ME 1 and got bored pretty early on. Anecdotal at best, but still. I got more into Halo, personally.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

    "May the Goddess smile upon you."

    "Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

  18. #18
    The first game was solid, even if it reminded me quite a bit of Star Control 2. The second game faltered a bit, with a bit too much focus on the FPS mechanics, while the storyline and RPG-side suffered a bit; and the last boss was stupid. The 3rd game was cheap fan service by the B-team that took the story in a different direction and had no idea how to end it, since the primary writer was pulled off of ME for SWTOR; needless to say, I think it was pretty garbage. Don't even get me going on the complete failure of endings that destroyed the entire galaxy, until they ret-conned it because they forgot their own lore (that's how bad the B-team is). We just don't talk about the 4th game.

  19. #19
    I am Murloc! Dellis0991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Detroit,Michigan,USA
    Posts
    5,374
    I loved ME all the way up til 3's ending dirty dick ending, the only thing that made me feel a bit better was when the devs later said that good destroy all reapers ending was canon and that the commander survived. I wished and hoped for a dlc or even a 4th ME (not Andromeda....because it was a piece of shite) to complete Shepard's story but nope.

  20. #20
    Halo 1 > all of mass effect
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •