Wow Music Identification Add-on

Greetings MMO Members!

I absolutely love the music in Wow and am currently looking for an add-on (if it exists) that would tell me the music file that is currently playing. There are some songs that I am having a tough time finding and having an add-on like this would be great.

An example would be the brass quartet song that plays when you are in stormwind. I used a MPQ program to locate the music files, but have yet to find this one. Same with some of the Pandaria and Silvermoon City music.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know!

Thank You

-Luke

I don't thing such a thing exists to identify the music that the game is currently playing from it's own files.

If you look at the Soundtrack of each game, each track title usually corresponds to wherever it plays.

Is this the one you're looking for?

Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-06-18 at 04:14 AM.

If this were an addon I'd pay to download it.

Yay! That is one of the songs I am looking for.

Even if it just said the filename playing, I could at least look for it. There are several neat songs (such as the Stormwind theme played using asian instruments while your in the vale) such as the Inn song that is different from the CD Soundtrack that are just fun to listen to out of game.

This particular song you found I couldn't find anywhere labeled Stormwind. So if an add-on just said "001_5.2_thunder" that would at least help!

Quote Originally Posted by lukeangel View Post
    Yay! That is one of the songs I am looking for.

Even if it just said the filename playing, I could at least look for it. There are several neat songs (such as the Stormwind theme played using asian instruments while your in the vale) such as the Inn song that is different from the CD Soundtrack that are just fun to listen to out of game.

This particular song you found I couldn't find anywhere labeled Stormwind. So if an add-on just said "001_5.2_thunder" that would at least help!
    According to the comments it's in wow-update-base-16309.MPQ
    and the path is: Sound\MUSIC\Pandaria\MUS_51_ForTheAlliance_02.mp3

Seems to be music that they added with patches and they just added it to the area music loop. Either way, you'll most likely have an easier time finding this stuff on youtube and just using http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ or something.

Deleted
    Hm, worth a try. Can someone test if the following produces any output when the music being played changes?

Code:
    hooksecurefunc("PlayMusic",function(...) print("PlayMusic",...) end)
    I doubt it will but it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Hm, worth a try. Can someone test if the following produces any output when the music being played changes?

Code:
    hooksecurefunc("PlayMusic",function(...) print("PlayMusic",...) end)
    I doubt it will but it's worth a shot.
    I would love to try this, where do I need to paste that? I tried the chat window with no luck (I am a super noob at that)

- - - Updated - - -

I think I figured out that I have to type /run before that command (correct?) if so, it didn't do anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my latest update! I kind of found a work-around for what I am personally wanting to do and figure I would share it here since i asked.

What I ended up doing was downloading the Add-on "Epic Music Player" and using the following code:

/run hooksecurefunc('PlayMusic',function(Sound) print('PlayMusic:',Sound) end)

This particular add-on will not display the current playing zone music, but does have a list of all of the music in the MPQ files and their titles. Using both the code I provided above and the full list the EMP (EpicMusic Player) Provided, I was able to listen to the songs I wanted per title and display the full path and filename in the console window.

Wasn't exactly what I wanted, but since music doesn't play through the interface, this was the only "workaround" I could figure out. Would still love to see an addon that just displays the current song, but this at least worked for me!

Just wanted to update!
    Last edited by lukeangel; 2014-06-19 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Update!!

Deleted
    Well there's an undocumented event START_GLUE_MUSIC which might be something related to zone music, but if you've found a solution that works then that's great too.

If I could still find an addon that shows the current music, I would be all for it!

I looked online for the Glue Music and also found some of this code:

event == "START_GLUE_MUSIC" ) then
    PlayGlueMusic(CurrentGlueMusic);
    PlayGlueAmbience(GlueAmbienceTracks["DARKPORTAL"], 4.0);

Its part of the Wow Interface lua. There is also a "CurrentGlueMusic" and "PlayGlueAmbiance" as well.

I will have to take a more indepth look at this. Looks interesting!
    Last edited by lukeangel; 2014-06-20 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Spelling!

I don't think any addon exists to do that currently, but when I needed to find the name of the song when Arthas was defeated in ICC (Souls' Torment), I used EpicMusicPlayer. Its not exactly what you want, but it has the name of all the songs in the game including MoP. I think they are separated by expansion too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeangel View Post
    If I could still find an addon that shows the current music, I would be all for it!

I looked online for the Glue Music and also found some of this code:

event == "START_GLUE_MUSIC" ) then
    PlayGlueMusic(CurrentGlueMusic);
    PlayGlueAmbience(GlueAmbienceTracks["DARKPORTAL"], 4.0);

Its part of the Wow Interface lua. There is also a "CurrentGlueMusic" and "PlayGlueAmbiance" as well.

I will have to take a more indepth look at this. Looks interesting!
    I checked, and START_GLUE_MUSIC is an event that fires during the login/character select screens, not after the actual UI has loaded.

Hooking "PlayMusic" won't work sadly, because the game calls the music playing function outside if the lua sandbox, prolly from the C code. So the only way to get these sound files is some third party memory sniffing sound program, which would run outside of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    Hooking "PlayMusic" won't work sadly, because the game calls the music playing function outside if the lua sandbox, prolly from the C code. So the only way to get these sound files is some third party memory sniffing sound program, which would run outside of the game.
    Would creating external versions of the music work much like how sound replacement packs work, and therefore have a less risky approach of file access monitoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Would creating external versions of the music work much like how sound replacement packs work, and therefore have a less risky approach of file access monitoring.
    Well you can extract any sound/music file from the game, however finding the stuff you looking for is the hard part.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually you don't have to go that deep.

With Procmonitor you can get the offset of the currently playing sound from the sound.mpq (Or other mqps.):

http://i.imgur.com/lqyiJMt.png

Then with MPQEditor you go into the name breaker, and find the offset (~777):

http://i.imgur.com/wEP1lvF.png

This is the pandaren login screen music. (MUS_50_HeartofPandaria_01)

Edit fixed some errors.

But i'm sure somehow you can get a better offset-hex conversion then my wild guess method.
    Last edited by Resike; 2014-06-24 at 05:01 PM.

Resike - You rock!

I was just about to ask if there was some way to use a process monitor to monitor what files the client was reading.

I will have to play with this and see what I can find out! If I find out something, I will repost here!

Thanks again to everyone! I've come much further on this project thanks to each and everyones assistance!

-Lukw

Deleted
    It might also be helpful to know that Wowhead's zone info pages now contain music playlists: http://www.wowhead.com/zone=1519

Old thread, but the ways to find a musics are:
    1. Leatrix Sound
    2. EpicMusicPlayer Addon
    3. ProcMonitor + MPQEditor + OffsetFinder
    4. WoWHead Zone Music

Recommended : ProcMonitor

As we know MPQ is not using anymore so you shoud use data.xxx extractor and then find the music yourself
    Last edited by jarvis-ai; 2021-11-06 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Update