Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Actually, i'd say:

7.5% hit > 7.5% expertise > 21250 haste ratiing (less if you use haste food and haste elixir, wich you should) > 15% expertise > crit > mastery >>>>>>>> parry=dodge

He should be tanking in retri gear with a full haste gem.

Overall if he times his interrupts and moves out of the cleave, there isn't really much to it.

If he takes Holy Avenger and gets instant Bastion stacks and does an eternal flame, there isn't much to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kethmil View Post
    Actually, i'd say:

7.5% hit > 7.5% expertise > 21250 haste ratiing (less if you use haste food and haste elixir, wich you should) > 15% expertise > crit > mastery >>>>>>>> parry=dodge
    Why do it that way when you have so much expertise rating you can't have less than 15%? That was a choice back in T14 gear, but nowadays we have items with over 1000 expertise rating on them.

Yeah, of course.

With current gear levels you get to 15% expertise anyways. But i'd never give up on haste for getting to 15% expertise. Even considering now getting to lower expertise in order to increase my crit.

I prefer pointing newcomers to that gear strategy than just saying 15% expertise. You'd be amazed how many paladins i've seen gemming expertise...

Though sometimes i wonder if advising going haste heavy to someone who dies in test of confidence is the best advice. May be he should go mastery heavy, dunno.
    Last edited by Kethmil; 2014-06-27 at 06:36 AM.

Yeah, of course.

With current gear levels you get to 15% expertise anyways. But i'd never give up on haste for getting to 15% expertise. Even considering now getting to lower expertise in order to increase my crit.

I prefer pointing newcomers to that gear strategy than just saying 15% expertise. You'd be amazed how many paladins i've seen gemming expertise...

Though sometimes i wonder if advising going haste heavy to someone who dies in test of confidence is the best advice. May be he should go mastery heavy, dunno.
    If you are in normal mode SoO you have enough gear to not need to worry about expertise capping.

If somebody is dying to test of confidence, they need to make sure that they have ShoR active when he does the Titanic Smash and Piercing Corruption. They don't need to kill the mob and its melee physical attack does fuck all damage (not to mention the Titanic Corruption isn't even attacking most of the time), so just sit on 5 holy power for a couple of seconds if they feel like they have to. They should try to have at least 3 Bastion of Glory stacks for after the Burst of Corruption, and they must interrupt the Hurl Corruption cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Myunihausen View Post
    Hello Pallies, do any of you have any tips for prot pallies in the test of confidence? one of our raid tanks is getting destroyed every time. I do not know anything about that test really other than what little I can read (many non helpful posts and dungeon journal) the burst and piercing are whats doing it. Do you switch seals? spam flash of light? what cd's do you guys use to survive those 2 attacks?
    If your raid pally tank is getting destroyed he is most likely not interupting, standing in what is easily avoidable and even more probably a clicker trying to fumble around clicking the screen while moving around the mob to avoid the conal attack.

The only thing you can do to improve his chances of not getting smacked around other than building player skill is to ensure that he takes the boss for a bit and builds up vengeance, saves his wings, and haste pot for being downstairs and maximizes his output and healing for the 45 seconds it should take him to kill it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, of course.

omg mastery builds are so clunky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daimonelm View Post
    The recommendations of AMR are pretty good. Sockets and enchantments are not the problem here. The items themselves are the problem. He should try to collect especially items with haste and mastery. It makes things much easier for him. His shield of the righteous and his eternal flame directly depend on the resource generation, which is way better with more haste.
    parry and dodge on the other hand are relatively bad stats for a protection paladin.
    the only thing you need to realize with Mr. Robot is that you should always go to the customize screen and boost the haste to equal hit and expertise and choose the minimum stam option. some do not know to do that and are not getting fully optimized, which is NOT the reason this guy is getting dead. you could go in wearing un-gemmed, un-reforged gear and still be able to survive the aloted amount of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
    Hey wait a sec, tanks need to use cds on this test???
    no. a well geared one doesn't so long as you have your normal rotation going and your heal up at full holy power.

however we many are probably guessing that this guy who is stumbling at a preliminary boss is most likely not WELL geared.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nightfalls View Post
    You are self-contradicting, good sir.
    I do not see any contradictions there. He merely stated that the pally in question is wearing warrior/dk tanking gear not pally tanking gear which should be 100% haste/mastery save the neck which does not have a haste master variant offered.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

While i know nothing about paladin tanking, i know that one of the two most common ways to die during the test is by not interupting the bolt or getting hit by the smash, the rest really doesn't do that much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I do not see any contradictions there. He merely stated that the pally in question is wearing warrior/dk tanking gear not pally tanking gear which should be 100% haste/mastery save the neck which does not have a haste master variant offered.
    Thok begs to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Thok begs to differ.
    Thok drops literally 0 str necks, so I'm not sure what he's begging to differ?

Quote Originally Posted by Serani View Post
    I was just going to ignore his post as another "I don't understand Thok but want to quote him" post.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

The bit of strength you lose by getting the agility necklace from Thok is completely irrelevant. Of course, if you want you can just take the hit/mastery or crit/mastery strength necklace. Not going to make a shred of difference in the long run.

edit: it is haste crit. Whatever. Not going to make you die or survive on Test of Confidence either way.

Using intellect one here, hit/haste from dont remember wich boss now, until i can keep haste cap while using juggernaut's or thok's drops for me.

Using str gear is overrated imo.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    He merely stated that the pally in question is wearing warrior/dk tanking gear not pally tanking gear which should be 100% haste/mastery save the neck which does not have a haste master variant offered.
    I have to say, as a DK tank, I use mastery set, not dodge/parry other than 2 piece tier, and I've cleared 3/14H, I've figured even on my pally, I do the same, go DPS geared (aside from trinkets/shield obviously).

But OT as most others have said, he is most likely not doing the basics in the phase in which he might be dying, I could suggest if he's doing bad in there, keep him out, just have him on boss/adds while the MT does all the work (that's what I was doing my first couple downs of him)

Quote Originally Posted by Aus Nate View Post
    I have to say, as a DK tank, I use mastery set, not dodge/parry other than 2 piece tier, and I've cleared 3/14H, I've figured even on my pally, I do the same, go DPS geared (aside from trinkets/shield obviously).

But OT as most others have said, he is most likely not doing the basics in the phase in which he might be dying, I could suggest if he's doing bad in there, keep him out, just have him on boss/adds while the MT does all the work (that's what I was doing my first couple downs of him)
    DKs can either go Dodge/Parry or Mastery, either is a viable gearing strat. Pallies CANNOT go dodge/parry and be viable as a tank.

DKs can either go Dodge/Parry or Mastery, either is a viable gearing strat. Pallies CANNOT go dodge/parry and be viable as a tank.
    Except in this specific situation, you could be wearing intellect/spirit plate and it wouldn't make a difference, because dying to the Test of Confidence is 100% bad play.

Nobody is going to argue that, but having proper gear can go a long way to carrying a bad player.