Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Behaving and Guilds

So I got into this little "discussion" with someone last night. Im a pretty reasonable person and all that but in wow, the most fun things I find in game is raiding and mucking around in /1 in raids and /2 in trade. Now I dont spam anal or thuderfury or anything like that, Im a classier type of troll than that. It revolves around obscure humor for the most part and poking fun at my self and some of my friends. I try to find ways to have fun in game and to make people laugh and the such I dont get too derogatory or hateful or anything like that because thats not fun. Now as I was into my mucking around while raiding and I got a whisper that was something along the lines of with how much you mess around in gen chat i would never invite you to my guild. My response was that it must be boring af. They went on to say a guild policy they have is their membres cant talk in gen or trade and have to "behave". So my question is do any of you guy's and gal's guild have a policy like this where you have to "behave".
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Ive seen it in the past. Always remember there is a large portion of the WoW community who take the game way too seriously.
    Fanboy (Fanboi): A Term used when someone disagrees with you on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate your counterpoint back so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming you into silence and thus them winning through dominance.

10+ Year Old Account
    guilds can take their "reputation" seriously. it takes all types to make the world go round.
    Hi

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Back in TBC when I was the GM of a very big levelling guild I set some behaviour rules, But they were just don't swear or insult people in public channels, don't spam, And don't swear in guild chat before 8PM, just because I knew of several young players in my guild.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly prefer those guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a behavior policy in general: Don't be a jerk. That includes trolling trade chat in a nasty way or in a way that may embarrass other guild members. Apart from that? Joke away!

Some people want their guilds to be rigid and business-like. I've been in guilds like that before, and sometimes it's nice to be able to focus on the task at hand. Although in my experience, those were also the more volatile guilds because they often would strip every bit of fun out of the game.

These days, I can't see myself ever going back to one of those guilds. Too much like a job and not enough like a game for my tastes.

Of course, this also assumes you're not talking about being an embarrassment to the entire guild with your shenanigans. Nobody wants their guild name associated with the server's version of the village idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Our policy has always been "Don't be a d!ck" We used to have loads of trolling with stuff like, "Keith Ledger was the best Joker!" Or back when H-Pott was current getting on /2 and saying junk like OMG. She killed off Herimone!! One of my favs one summer was "Avatar was a great film. Way to go Peter Jackson!"

When I was a guild officer we had one guy during WotLK start invites for a raid on his lvl 10 alt and wait to see how long it took ppl to figure it out. I looked the other way on that one.

But unless it was racist, sexist, or gross..pretty much anything went.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah im not a dick to anyone but its ammusing how people assume youre a dick if you muck around in gen or trade chat. And that with random shit that is said that people take serisouly.
    14/14h and finally done

If your in a guild who is actively recruiting players and is looking for more mature players, your not going to get many new recruits if you have a guildie flaming and acting a fool in trade/gen chat. its good to have plenty of comedians in a guild, but some people just take things too far sometimes. I do agree that a ban on gen/trade chat is a bit ridiculous though.

Don't think most people / guilds would mind about the sort of thinsg you say you do. I understand why guilds would have a problem with people being obnoxious or rude in public chat though.

We did. We were a respectable guild and we wanted to stay that way. if any member would misbehave in any manner, especially in public channels, they'd get gkicked. I had policies for this written loud and clear on our site. It only happened once that someone, some social, had to get kicked though. Similarly, other respectable guilds asked for the same.

It's normal to behave properly. you're representing your guild. Behave.

Deleted
    been subject to it in the past. Did not last long until I was being myself in trade and general. Being overly serious in a raid is not healthy or fun, and I am a sociable type of guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    been subject to it in the past. Did not last long until I was being myself in trade and general. Being overly serious in a raid is not healthy or fun, and I am a sociable type of guy anyway.
    This^ I've been in a hardcore guild that had rules and the liking while raiding and it just made things boring and anti social for the most part.

Heaven forbid you tried having a discussion about something during anything, because "need to focus" as if talking and playing a video game was the most difficult thing in the world.

They also lack any humor and personality, while yes I understand people "wanna be the very best like no one ever was" I think some guilds go too far into making WoW feel like a chore/job more then entertainment. Which, in my opinion, causes people to be bored of the game more when the environment you're in is too serious. I've also felt the "serious" guilds are the ones more with ragers, or even the guilds that attempt to be "hardcore" have the most aggressive environment.

I do think it is nice to worry about your guild image though, then again it depends on the people in the guild. While yes some stupid stuff can be said in general chat during raids, I will admit I've seen some hilarious things said as well. Obviously though if a member is being an all out douche to other people, then yes put your foot down, but if it's just to crack a joke then it's what ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    seems like some guilds have a zero tolerance policy on shenanigans. To be honest I couldnt join a guild where I couldnt engage in some kind of tom foolery.

I do find it interesting that high end guilds dont really care what their members do some at least.
    Last edited by Redpanda; 2014-06-20 at 10:32 PM.
    14/14h and finally done

My guild doesn't really have a rule for this sort of thing, but it is sternly suggested by the officers that you represent the guild in a good light. Basically, if we want to troll, we have to do it on alts outside of the guild. I think that's pretty reasonable.

If people wanted to laugh they would watch a comedy Then again some people (you maybe?) play a lot and need to experience everything from this one game. "Other people log on to only raid and don't want distractions? Blasphemy! They must be boring weirdos!"

Doesn't really need explaining once you give it a little thought. You're an ambassador for your guild whether you want to be or not. Personally I have been in your position many times; I can't help myself from commenting on whatever the "derp-of-the-day" is; but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Make sure you don't make you're guild look like a bunch of fools "

Thats why I save most of it up for random Battlegrounds ;p

Or did anyway. Unsubbed. Gonna have to get used to using the past tense
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless the guild is a top 10 world guild, why the hell should you act professional? My guild was number one on my realm and we all ragged on people in general/trade. It's not like we treated people like they were dirt, but our guild leader didn't care what we did because anyone stupid enough to think that's how the whole guild acts is stupid. Any time someone came to him complaining about a guild members attitude, he'd reply "I'm not their boss, it's them you have an issue with, not me or the guild, settle it with them." If you're a good player and can work well with other raiders, I don't see why a guild wouldn't want you. Now if you're a good raider but you constantly bitch at people, sure that's not something you want in your guild, but if it's harmless trolling, who cares?
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard of it, but I haven't enacted anything like that in my guild. I think if a member were to act like a total ass in trade I would probably say something, but it would have to be pretty bad lol. I'm sure what you were doing was harmless and that person was just taking the situation way too seriously.

On the other side when I first transferred to my new server, before I decided to create a guild, I paid attention to who the trolls were in trade. I made sure to avoid the guilds that the really bad ones were in. Harmless trolling here and there is one thing, but some of those guys take it way too far and I wouldn't want to be in a guild with them.