Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Fresh 90s having a hard time

Is it me or gear is so much more important in MoP than in previous x-pack? I remember in Cata, me and my friend would queue for 2s with fresh 85 in quest greens/blue, and we still won over 40% of arena games.

Now, even in full timeless gear, we get killed before we can even take one of our enemy below 50% hp...

We thought we could peacefully farm conquest pts to gear up... but it seems we'll have to grind for weeks for honor before we can even tackle arenas...

Sorry if this thread is coming late, i haven't PvPed in MoP until recently, now i'm discouraged of the upcoming grind

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very late into the Arena season, so most of the PvP players will be fully or nearly-fully Prideful geared. You'll probably have to tank your MMR heavily to face players that are equal in gear level. And even there, there are some hardcore tankers in Prideful gear that do that just to stomp fresh 90s/noobs, or to get easy wins for Conquest cap.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    It's very late into the Arena season, so most of the PvP players will be fully or nearly-fully Prideful geared. You'll probably have to tank your MMR heavily to face players that are equal in gear level. And even there, there are some hardcore tankers in Prideful gear that do that just to stomp fresh 90s/noobs, or to get easy wins for Conquest cap.
    I'm gearing my 3rd 90 this section of this season. And I'd be lying if I said it wasn't reeeeally reeeally painful. I justify my useless damage in bgs by CC'ing/utility. If you are both fresh in arena, it is unfortunate that you simply will not beat anyone who has arms if they have prideful .

I usually get pretty close to full grievous before i try and find someone to bomb in twos with.

Deleted
    Weeks? Took me like 2-3 days to get full 522 gear on my rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Trafz View Post
    Weeks? Took me like 2-3 days to get full 522 gear on my rogue
    Maybe not weeks, but unless youre playing like 3 13-14 hour days i just dont buy that .

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    Is it me or gear is so much more important in MoP than in previous x-pack? I remember in Cata, me and my friend would queue for 2s with fresh 85 in quest greens/blue, and we still won over 40% of arena games.
    Whilst I find this extremely hard to believe, I will say that with the inclusion of PvP power in MoP it does infact mean you have to at least get SOME PvP gear before you can start getting regular wins. Though to me that is exactly how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    Whilst I find this extremely hard to believe, I will say that with the inclusion of PvP power in MoP it does infact mean you have to at least get SOME PvP gear before you can start getting regular wins. Though to me that is exactly how it should be.
    You are pretty damn useless at the moment without at least full grievous. (Relative to past expansions, even tiers)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Maybe not weeks, but unless youre playing like 3 13-14 hour days i just dont buy that .
    Took me 3 days of heroic dungeon spamming/JP-HP converting to get full 522 on Characters of mine that had a tank or heal offspec :P. 1 and a half-2hrs per JP cap. So 10000 honor every 7-10hrs. Enough to buy at least 2pc pvp set/Weapon/2trinkets. With a Tanked rating that is enough to start winning matches and filling out with Conq.

Took me 3 days of heroic dungeon spamming/JP-HP converting to get full 522 on Characters of mine that had a tank or heal offspec :P. 1 and a half-2hrs per JP cap. So 10000 honor every 7-10hrs. Enough to buy at least 2pc pvp set/Weapon/2trinkets. With a Tanked rating that is enough to start winning matches and filling out with Conq.
    Ok, so like I said. Full days. doing straight PvE. Sounds healthy lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Three options:
    1) Grind justice points, convert to honor, slowly profit.
    2) Do celestials every week, use a coin, occasionally profit.
    3) Play BGs, get 2-3 shot every game, have a bad time.

Until you get gear, it is what it is.

*edit* Thought of a fourth option..

4) Get carried in 2s, spend gold, expensively profit

But at least you will have full conquest cap which will get you several Prideful pieces and you can fill in the rest with honor items.
    Last edited by Kowloon; 2014-06-21 at 04:33 AM.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are pretty damn useless at the moment without at least full grievous. (Relative to past expansions, even tiers)
    I managed to get Hot Streak in half Grevious half crafted if you at least have your weapons/trinkets you have enough PvP power to start making a dent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was able to cap out my Fury Warrior's Conquest (about 15k-17k was my cap, I think) by 10 or so straight hours of pugging 2s. And when you get to low MMR, you see really hilarious things happen, such as people trinketing Charge stuns. And this was on a Fury Warrior. Heck it would have been a ton easier to cap as Arms, but I can't stand the playstyle.

It was sad that in my 300-400 2s games this expac, I only saw one other Fury Warrior that wasn't me.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    20hrs over 3 days isn't that much >.> and you can start doing Arenas well enough after only about 10hrs of farming.

10hrs over 3 days isn't that tremendous.

Gear scaling has been out of control in MoP compared to any other expansion. A fresh max-level character in wrath and cata would end up doing about 5x their damage during the last tier of raiding/pvp.

In MoP, this number has scaled to over 10x. This is a function of not just too many tiered gear levels, but the way the spells interact with gear, there is some exponential scaling that has happened that is pushing some people to do damage well over 10x what they would be doing as a fresh 90 (up to 20x in some cases).

What this means is that gear >>>>>> everything right now, in both pvp and pve.

Its not so much the gear as it is the PvP power that comes from it. Everyone has the same baseline resilience but PvP power makes it so you can even hurt people.

20hrs over 3 days isn't that much >.> and you can start doing Arenas well enough after only about 10hrs of farming.

10hrs over 3 days isn't that tremendous.
    if you said 1.5-2 hours per justice cap, thats 2000 honor every 1.5-2 hours. thats 10k in 8-10 hours. a grievous weapon and 3-4 pieces isnt going to win you a game as a fresh 90. And spending 10 hours in heroics is awful for someone who enjoys mostly pvp. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it isn't ridiculous to even be semi-competitive.

OT: OP, the short answer is the grind is shitty and its being alleviated in WoD. Its not a good answer, but its the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

20hrs over 3 days isn't that much >.>
    Come on man. 7-10 hours a day for 3 days straight doing the same heroics is insanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you said 1.5-2 hours per justice cap, thats 2000 honor every 1.5-2 hours. thats 10k in 8-10 hours. a grievous weapon and 3-4 pieces isnt going to win you a game as a fresh 90. And spending 10 hours in heroics is awful for someone who enjoys mostly pvp. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it isn't ridiculous to even be semi-competitive.
    OT: OP, the short answer is the grind is shitty and its being alleviated in WoD. Its not a good answer, but its the answer.
    Come on man. 7-10 hours a day for 3 days straight doing the same heroics is insanity.
    That's all I needed to start getting Wins, My gear was PvP Shoulders/Gloves, both Trinkets and Weapon. I started being able to win at that point at about a 50:50 rate in low MMR.

It also helps to be smoking a lot of weed and watching TV shows on my other Monitor while I Tank through Dungeons if I completely just want to gear out in heroics.

But yes, that kind of play won't appeal to most people, just saying there are ways to do it. But most will just have the normal horrible BG grind experience.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2014-06-21 at 04:53 AM.

tip is to be alliance

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently granted a Paladin and it was almost impossible to even begin gearing without pulling my hair out. After a week or two (3 days /played time), I've finally reached an item level of 522 by being full grievous, and still, the gear disparity between full prideful players and I is just way too large.

The gear floor is disgusting.

It's not disgusting to those already in full prideful. They keep shouting from their basement fortresses that all those who don't have it yet suck and should work harder