Thread: X Rebirth 2.0

10+ Year Old Account

X Rebirth 2.0

I've found this game on Steam. Been watching videos about if for a bit, and all I can think about is how much I've wanted a sci-fi spaceship sim that could catch my interest, gameplay-wise, as much as the ancient X-Wing VS TIE Fighter game did when I was young. (EVE doesn't cut it for me, the game is more about playing a space-faring business venture than about playing with spaceships)

Has anybody else tried this game out yet? With the current Steam sale it would cost a little over $30, and I'm hesitant to spend THAT much on yet another game right now. (I've already dropped a good amount of money this sale, and I'm trying not to go overboard)

I heard that the game was pretty terrible at first, but that they've come out with a 2.0 not too long ago that implemented a research paper's worth of changes to the game. So I'm wondering if it's supposed to be pretty good now.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2014-06-22 at 08:14 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Couldn't find it!

Can't help but notice the date on that thread, though, since Rebirth 2.0 has happened since then.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Don't. I quit it (again) last week after it fucked up my computer's sound.

Check out Star Citizen. If you're interested, it's just now in alpha but you can get access for $35 which then carries on to the full game on release whenever it comes out which includes a single player campaign and a massive persistent multiplayer game.

Or just one of the older X-games. I'm playing Albion Prelude at the moment, but since it requires Terran Conflict to be installed I'd start with that first to see if it's a game you like.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's 50% off right now. $24.99 USD.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd also recommend playing X3 TC or AP instead. Rebirth is just a heavily simplified version made to 'appeal to a wider audience' and all they accomplished was creating a mess that neither traditional 4X fans or new players enjoyed.

I'm aware that it's been through several updates but the core of what made X3 so brilliant has been entirely stripped out of Rebirth.

The problem i had with the most recent version of this game is that your stuck in one ship. This pissed me off to the point of not buying it. From everything i read and herd about it your in the same ship for the whole game, you cant move to a new ship like in the previous games.

Deleted
    They are bringing out an expansion in December, which is free for the people that already bought it, if you activate it on steam before 1 november.
    http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=371656

Thought I'd mention it in case you don't check their forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    Check out Star Citizen. If you're interested, it's just now in alpha but you can get access for $35 which then carries on to the full game on release whenever it comes out which includes a single player campaign and a massive persistent multiplayer game.
    Elite: Dangerous will be out much sooner than Tech Demo Citizen and you can buy yourself into closed beta right now.

Star Citizen and Elite cater to two different crowds. To me Star Citizen so far seems the more arcade-y while Elite is for the more "hardcore-ish" sim fans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Star Citizen and Elite cater to two different crowds. To me Star Citizen so far seems the more arcade-y while Elite is for the more "hardcore-ish" sim fans.
    Yep, and X is an economic/empire building game. So no reason the 3 games can't coexist next to each other (somehow many people seem to bash one or the other all the time)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    Elite: Dangerous will be out much sooner than Tech Demo Citizen and you can buy yourself into closed beta right now.
    Can't you still pay your way into Star Citizen's alpha? Though you are right is mostly a tech demo pretty extensive though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Can't you still pay your way into Star Citizen's alpha? Though you are right is mostly a tech demo pretty extensive though.
    Yes, you can, but you guys are derailing this thread!
    So...wooooooooooo expansion in December wooooo!

They need to fix the mini-freezes when you navigate the computer on the ship. I thought it might be a loading issue so I tried putting the game on my SSD. No change.

Deleted
    As a fan of the X series. I got to recommend you stay away from it. Far, far away.

Stick with the older X games. X3:Terran conflict is good and due to being out for some years has lots of mods and patches. Some of wich add tons of Ships, stations, weapons, factions and so forth.

X Rebirth, is a horrible dummed down game, that forces you to stick to one ship. Unlike the Previous X Games were you could fly everything. From small Fighters, to big Construction Ships that are bigger then stations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    As a fan of the X series. I got to recommend you stay away from it. Far, far away.

Stick with the older X games. X3:Terran conflict is good and due to being out for some years has lots of mods and patches. Some of wich add tons of Ships, stations, weapons, factions and so forth.

X Rebirth, is a horrible dummed down game, that forces you to stick to one ship. Unlike the Previous X Games were you could fly everything. From small Fighters, to big Construction Ships that are bigger then stations.
    Yeah, I also prefer X3. However, with enough tweaks Rebirth could still turn out to be fun. Maybe a bit like Starpoint Gemini 2, easy but fun.