Question Warlock HP pool ?

Hi,

The question is just a matter of curiosity. If I remember well (but I might be wrong), warlocks didn't always have such huge pools of life, does anyone here remember when it happened, and for what purpose (yes, some might say " to increase life pool ").

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they always had an enormous health pool compared to others. I believe it has to do with Life Tap, but I'm not sure anymore.

Deleted
    the biggest step came with MoP, grimoire of sacrifice + soullink = +20% (+HP CD from void), to compensate the lost "soullinked" HP of your pet.

Back in TBC my lock had more HP than some tanks, because we stacked stamina to lifetap more :P
    Then it slowly backed down, to everyone having roughly the same HP pool, items got more standarized etc..
    And now in MoP locks just have a lot of HP pool boosts again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    Fel Armor grants additional 10% of health for warlocks as passive, so it can give a little bit bigger pool. :P
    And of course if you add Grimoire of Sacrifice with Soul Link you gain additional 20% of health.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I think they always had an enormous health pool compared to others. I believe it has to do with Life Tap, but I'm not sure anymore.
    I might be wrong about Demo, but Destro no longer even has Life Tap. I think only Affliction is left with it (Last time I played Demo was Firelands).
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    I might be wrong about Demo, but Destro no longer even has Life Tap. I think only Affliction is left with it (Last time I played Demo was Firelands).
    Aaah, right. I still live in TBC regarding locks. Not having one doesn't help either..

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks have always had a big HP pool just like hunters used to have.

Demo still has Life tap.

The reason you can see warlocks with such high HP is the passive 10% HP increase, plus 20% increase from using Sacrifice with Soul Link.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    Hi,

The question is just a matter of curiosity. If I remember well (but I might be wrong), warlocks didn't always have such huge pools of life, does anyone here remember when it happened, and for what purpose (yes, some might say " to increase life pool ").

Thanks
    Warlocks always had a bigger life pool compared to others and the original reason was the need to compensate for being forced to gain mana from life tap very often (which is not true for destruction anymore).
    The additional Life used to come from simply more stamina on warlock sets and talents and was later baked in by passive skills. The huge extra-step with MoP however is not linked to life-tap, but comes from the combination of soul link and grimoire of sacrifice. It just compensates for soul link being completely useless otherwise, while your pet is sacrificed (as you can't transfer damage taken to a pet that you don't have).

So the big advantage comes from two sources: One is a passive ability, which is meant to compensate for Life Tap, the other one is simply soul link with a sacrificed pet.

Warlocks have always had large health pulls, they've since the beginning of World of Warcraft means masters of their own life force, using it as a secondary resource. Part of that's gone now, but most of it still exists in some form, hence why it's remained.

I agree, it's a little over the top in some cases, 1.1M Warlocks in Raids, but oh well.

Thanks for all the information, technical and lore !

Having more hp just feels like an glorious morale boost when you see someone in better gear.
    Except those pesky fury tsg...
    Last edited by Narwhalosh Whalescream; 2014-06-23 at 02:29 PM. Reason: sineb

Back in TBC my lock had more HP than some tanks, because we stacked stamina to lifetap more :P
    Then it slowly backed down, to everyone having roughly the same HP pool, items got more standarized etc..
    Yeah, it was the same in Vanilla as well. Fairly sure we always had a above average pool due to life tap. Right now buffed with Soul Line + Sac I have over a million HP buffed.

10+ Year Old Account
    We always had a big healthpool. In vanilla we had 15% stamina from talents. And in tbc, lich and cata we had 10% from talents and another 3% from talents in our demo tree. I remember back in vanilla, it was really a pain to level, because our spells used so much mana, you had to life tap after a few casted spells. As time passed, anf more expansion came, we had less issues with mana over the years. This changed for destro in mop, after the revamp of the class... Now our lvl 60 talents consume health when used. Life tap is now only available for affi and demo. I think also in early wow, blood pact stacked with priest stamina buff.
    Last edited by Lethl; 2014-06-23 at 03:45 PM.

lol, warlocks didn't stack stamina in TBC... we just had talents that increased our stamina by a large amount.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

We have huge health pools yes but our health pool only really starts to get crazy when we use GoSac and Soul link, which we are essentailly sacrificing a damage mitigation CD for passive survivability. We don't have all that many CDs we have 1 actually reduce dmg and then a 30% hp buff for 20 second, other than that we'd be screwed, we have the best passives but severely lack in the individual cds area where as a mage has multiple survival cds and one of them even on a 45 second cd that acts as dmg reduction and healing. In Warlords of Draenor assuming they cut a lot of reduction cds from other classes we might see warlocks having crazy survival due to our stacking passives while no one else has the cds that they used to in order to keep it balanced.

Deleted
    I've thought about this a lot myself because I play a tank and hate stamina trinkets :> But yes they have had enormous health pools throught the whole game almost

Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    We have huge health pools yes but our health pool only really starts to get crazy when we use GoSac and Soul link, which we are essentailly sacrificing a damage mitigation CD for passive survivability. We don't have all that many CDs we have 1 actually reduce dmg and then a 30% hp buff for 20 second, other than that we'd be screwed, we have the best passives but severely lack in the individual cds area where as a mage has multiple survival cds and one of them even on a 45 second cd that acts as dmg reduction and healing. In Warlords of Draenor assuming they cut a lot of reduction cds from other classes we might see warlocks having crazy survival due to our stacking passives while no one else has the cds that they used to in order to keep it balanced.
    Shhh.... Dont tell them!

Basically they've traditionally had a lot of health due to Life Tap.

I used to joke saying that Warlocks actually had no life bar, only a secondary mana bar.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.