Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is this how pvp is going to be for the next 6 months?

"WTB arena boost 150g per win"

Yeah... that's basically all it is right now

Never seen it not be that way. People are always wanting to buy points, rating or teams.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

Well... thats the negative effects of the current gearing system and the insane gear dependency wow pvp has become.

If you dont have full pvp-gear you wont get anywhere in rated pvp. Thats all.

I for one liked how gw2 handled it and gave everyone a full set of pvp-gear at max lvl and you could go in and be
    competitive right from the bat. You had your skills and your class and only that determined your success.

Blizzards fault. The gear gap is so fucking wide now the difference just between grievous and prideful is huge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Hmm maybe I can buy a RBG boost, I want those pvp mounts and titles.

It will stay in WoD too, it's a common thing now and wont go away soon. It can however be less of an occurance should the gear gap levels be reduced.

The problem is not gear. Getting gear is fun; working for it is fun. Being stronger with it is ultimately the most rewarding. Take your lumps now, dish 'em out later. That's fun. That's what keeps us playing each new season.

The problem is that 2s has become a farmfest for free and easy conquest points, and there is no more "earning" your gear. Now you pay for it, or get it for free most of the time.

The answer is not to remove the gear advantage that the game and FUN is based around, the answer it to remove the free points advantage. PvPers protect their 3s ratings for prestige and end of season rewards as well as a higher conquest cap. Then they fart around in 2s. This is a cool approach, I like it. HOWEVER, 2s should NOT be giving the same conquest as 3s or 5s.

My proposal would be to reduce the conquest gained from a 2s victory to 25 up to a rating of 1500 at which point it begins to scale up giving 180 at 1800 and so on. If you want free points in 2s, it should not be any easier than free points from randoms. In fact, random bgs are MUCH harder to grind points than 2s ever will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Riplin View Post
    The problem is not gear.
    It is when the iLvL gap is too big, bigger than it has ever been. People feel forced to get carried to the good gear because any other gear is utter crap in comparision. No one likes to lose lose lose until they can start having fun.

Well right now you see a lot of that. People who pvp often have full sets on their mains and a few alts so conquest is for people who haven't pvp'd often or additional Alts.

The gear gap is being addressed in WoD where they will scale your ilvl UP in instanced PvP so for example you hit 90 now in 450 gear and go into a BG they will scale it up to lets say 515 gear. This is a good change and they will be able to increase it with new seasons of PvP. I like to think of it as a free Crafted set pretty much.

But back on topic until WoD you will see new players and alts trying to get capped conquest gear. I believe we have another month or so before you can do a full 27k conquest grind in 2's in a day if you put the time in.

Personally I am more curious about inflated ratings and how high things will get before WoD comes out. Thank goodness we got this season but with the amount of time we still have left another season would be best but wont happen.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It is when the iLvL gap is too big, bigger than it has ever been. People feel forced to get carried to the good gear because any other gear is utter crap in comparision. No one likes to lose lose lose until they can start having fun.
    I've done this many times. Hit 90. Spend some time on Timeless Isle and get an easy set of 496 gear. Enter random BGs, run Tol Barad and WG every time they are up. Full set of Grevious in NO time. At that point, you are competitive and can have fun.

I've done this many times. Hit 90. Spend some time on Timeless Isle and get an easy set of 496 gear. Enter random BGs, run Tol Barad and WG every time they are up. Full set of Grevious in NO time. At that point, you are competitive and can have fun.
    It's only a difference of 30 ilvls after all. Right guys? Right...?

Deleted
    If by competitive you mean being able to stay alive for long enough
    for the full geared guy thats boosting you to kill both enemies then yes.
    Full griev is competitive in the current state and lapse of this pvpseason.

Lmao I cant even find any random people to play 2s with casually anymore....everyone is "WTS arena wins pst"

The fact that gear is the only way that most players can consistently win, and that without gear they can't do a fucking thing except lose 99% of the time, why on Earth would that motivate people to behave in this way?

Yes, it is mostly a Blizzard problem, but Blizzard seems committed to having gear fuck up PvP, because people wouldn't PvP without gear, except that PvP is shit when it is all about gear.

With the hotfix today, expect participation to lessen a bit as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see multiple reasons:

- the state of melee vs casters in 2s: so many warrior/resto druids you face and dks or ww monks / hpriests, as a caster it's nearly impossible to outplay them in 2s, you really need 2 dps to deal with them (which works in 3s)
    - the state of boomkins (and ferals to a lesser extend): if you play double dps vs a boomkin you might as well leave 90% of the games
    - since it's a massive pain to queue into all those melee, people revert to dropping rating to simply cap
    - since there is no penalty (gonna be hotfixed now) to leave arena to drop rating, it happens on a massive scale
    - good pvp'rs try to make a buck out of this by dropping their mmr and sell conquest point boosts
    - the whole say 0 to 1600 bracket is totally messed up, so that new/undergeared players constantly meet players who are boosting or who purposely dropped mmr
    - result: the only way to get your catch up cap is to join the system, either by having a friend that is boosting you under the actual mmr or by getting a boost for gold

The new hotfix should somewhat restore the purpose of mmr: preventing people from playing way under the mmr they should play at, or in other words restore mmr balance.

You People cry over the gear gap differences that you can't get anywere near any rating With bad gear?
    well thats bullshit i went to 1800 in arena With a 522 rogue in 2's, queued With a 1700 ish Warrior 540 ilvl

good players With bad gear still beat bad players in good gear...

i remember back in cata a multiglad mage kept owning fully geared Warriors (1800+ warrs) nude With weapons

They have removed some skillcap of the game making the game alot more based on gear, but you can still dominate With lesser gear!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

But that is how it's been since TBC.. give or take the amount of gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    There have certainly always been people who have bought wins, but even on a server as large as Mal'Ganis I have never seen carries so heavily sought after until Mists of Pandaria.

You can pretty much find someone spamming for them at any time of day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paythepiper View Post
    You People cry over the gear gap differences that you can't get anywere near any rating With bad gear?
    well thats bullshit i went to 1800 in arena With a 522 rogue in 2's, queued With a 1700 ish Warrior 540 ilvl
    Are you really gonna use one of the most braindead comps in 2s as proof to dismiss what was claimed earlier?

Mass-stealth + sap on 1 target.
    You have subterfuge + opener + tricks on warrior.
    Warrior has a ranged stun for when the other guy comes out of sap. And there is blind and ranged fear.
    If the openings target trinkets whatever he gets immediately into the next stun.
    Warrior is immune to fear and you are immune to pretty much all cc with cloak and you have vanish.

Seriously, it doesn't matter how much you fuck up or how well you play, you will win anyways, regardless of your gear.