Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacomman View Post
    Yes and I doubt anything comes close to it. Endless waves of trash mobs that made you relieved when you finished the raid instead of giving you at least some sense of accomplishment.
    Timed trash waves wouldn't have been so bad if the boss could've been pulled separately afterwards. To be forced to kill 10 waves of trash after a wipe on a boss is juts abhorrent desing.

Quality wise? It was good.

People will just remember it the wrong way due to its horrendous duration without anything else. Also, some fights were just bad, but that happens every tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandore View Post
    Dark Shamans: Seriously it's just 2 random doofuses we don't even know... And I'm sick and tired of hearing that lady scream "My wolf will feast on your blood!" Hey chucklenuts we killed your wolf before we even started focusing on you!
    Haromm and Kardris were Horde Shaman trainers. HAromm was located in Stonard and Kardris in Orgrimmar.

Honestly I think the main problem with SOO are the bosses are boring.

Immersus: Elemental you have to kill over and over. *Yawn*

Protectors: 3 Pandaren you have to kill at the same time like Mimiron from Ulduar... *Yawn*

Norushen: Go into a portal, kill some easily killable trash, and then down more mobs and the boss... *Yawn*

Sha Of Pride: At this point I'm so sick and tired of seeing Sha anything. 2 Sha monsters in a row? Blegh!

Galakras: Nice concept but really all your doing is killing tons of trash before you shoot the actual boss out of the sky. Oh and lets not forget the oh so epic NPCs that apparently are such badasses have the same level of health as a cardboard box!

Iron Juggernaut: Giant mechanical scorpion... Stack... Spread... Jump on bombs... The fact that this boss doesn't drop a mount doesn't help!

Dark Shamans: Seriously it's just 2 random doofuses we don't even know... And I'm sick and tired of hearing that lady scream "My wolf will feast on your blood!" Hey chucklenuts we killed your wolf before we even started focusing on you!

Nazgrim: Necesary fight... No complaint.

Malkorok: What 7th stage of hell were they hiding this guy at? Again it's some guy we don't know and he's FUGLY. The concept itself isn't even that hard either... Stack, spread, stand in stuff... *Yawn*

Spoils: I don't even understand why this is even a fight in this raid. Seriously the hell? Creative concept but I don't even consider this as an actual fight. And why the hell are all the enemies in crates like they are being shipped from UPS?!

Thok: I just file this one under WTF. Why in the world are they hiding a giant armored T-Rex and I'm more curious as to how they managed to fit that giant thing through the front door!

Blackfuse: Exciting fight. No complaints.

Paragons: BORING! Kill a bunch of Klaxxi in the right order... Why is this the final fight before Garrosh? First fight or 2nd I can understand but before Garrosh? I don't get it!

Garrosh: Honestly I feel like this fight was a bit of a let down really. Stack, spread, ranged go to one corner, go to the other corner, kill weapons... Is it easy? By all means no... But it just didn't feel like an epic battle like against Deathwing or The Lich King.
    The view from a flex/normal raider obviously. If you find a fight like Paragons boring then you may be interested in stepping up to Heroics. It's the only fight that is hectic for all 3 roles. Siegecrafter is up there for a lot of DPS and heals though it is a cakewalk for tanks.

Most of the heroic fights were gutted because Blizz wanted "linear" difficulty and they could of been a lot less forgiving if that wasn't the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    SoO surpassed my expectations by a large degree. With a raid being set in Orgrimmar, I was expecting another DS fiasco, with teleporting around a lazily recycled area from the world and boring unexplained bosses. What we got felt really good, with plenty of variety and story to it and references to Horde characters and people that have been seen around the city for years getting actually involved in the events, some of them (Dark Shamans for instance) actually becoming bosses, or trash mobs. I liked it.

The only real flaws were that the Garrosh fight was a little too repetitively designed. The start and end was good (in heroic mode), but phase 2/3 is too samey and goes on too long. And the fact that the tuning was a little off, with all the bosses prior to Malkorok being easier than normal mode Garrosh, and then a sudden absolutely insane jump in difficulty for Siegecraft, Paragons and Garrosh (and Thok, but only on 10-man pre-nerf).

In general though, it's one of the better raids in the game. Far more enjoyable than most raids we've had in WotLK and Cata, many of which were major let-downs (aside from Ulduar, ICC and perhaps Tier 11 in Cata). It's a shame, as with most end-of-expansion raids it will probably be remembered poorly for a while because the long waits leave people bitter!

But it just didn't feel like an epic battle like against Deathwing o
    Deathwing = kill tentacles here there TENTACLESSSSSSSSSSS EVERYWHEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

yeah such an epic fight where you dont even fight expansion end boss at all

I have to agree though SoO is the worst raid tier in WoW history
    Last edited by Einsz; 2014-07-05 at 02:51 PM.

SoO was better than I thought it would be, but even if it met my original expectations, it still would never be as bad as T9,12 and 13.

WoTLK T7 and T9 were terribad, DS was pretty bad too.

I actually enjoyed the tier after setting aside the fact that the instance will easily be out for over a year by the time Warlords of Draenor drops which isn't the instance's fault so I can't blame the quality of it on that (which is going to jade a lot of people). The instance on its own had quite a few varied and interesting boss mechanics even if some bosses were somewhat lackluster than others.

There's actually something I'd like to touch on before I put my thoughts on each encounter though. The difficulty tuning of SoO's first 8 bosses. This was actually very noticeable in both normal AND heroic. The first 8 bosses were tuned around 520 - 530ish ilvls on ptr with the intent that people could come in from normal mode ToT and start to gear up. This made the first 8 incredibly easy, faceroll for most competent groups of any level. It actually really didn't take much to outgear normal modes which made a lot of the encounters feel very watered down. Sadly this also extended into heroic where a lot of the encounters still felt incredibly easy relative to the last few bosses. While it was better than ToT where we had Jin'rohk the Loot Pinata and then suddenly the wall formerly known as Horridon, there's a pretty steep curve on the last several bosses which it increasing rapidly from Siegecrafter onward.

There were also some pretty big discrepancies on both sizes on certain encounters. This had some impact on the percieved difficulty as well, and the tier on only made me happier that Mythic is coming out so that the instance as a whole can be tuned without worrying if size two is equal. On to my thoughts on the actual bosses.

Immerseus: Not my favorite fight, but its always neat to include something that at least has aspects of a healer fight because you don't get them terribly often. My biggest gripe about the fight was once you even got a little gear, the phases were so short that you barely got enough time to ramp up and actually do the fight. More often then not you felt like you were sitting in the split phase waiting for adds to land and finish being killed/healed. The adds in heroic made it a little more interesting but the discrepancy between 10 and 25 on the debuff was incredible. Luckily the encounter was never hard enough for it to matter.

Fallen Protectors: Not a bad council fight with a lot of mechanics to keep you on your toes. Good amounts of random consistent damage with small (on heroic escalating) spikes to keep your healers on the ball until of course they outgear it and you have too many healers. Actually recommending dropping healers if they find it too boring :P. Not too bad, just suffered from being part of the first 8.

Norushen: Works okay on normal, its too bad that heroic got gutted because in 25 man heroic you just sat outside and zerged it anyway early on.

Sha of Pride: Not too bad, and pacman on heroic was cool. Sort of wish there was a bit more for tanks to watch for but the rifts needing to be closed, dodging blasts from rifts, playing pacman, and responding to different levels of pride as well as prisons make for an okay encounter.

Galakras: Not a favorite of mine personally. Elongated trash pack that you can't speed up because its all scripted outside of when you shoot the boss down once you have the two towers.

Iron Juggernaut: Lots of fun stuff to dodge, and overally pretty solid encounter. IMO they should've taken away the ability to sit in China during P2 on Heroic since it basically guts what could've been a much more interesting phase. Obviously you can do it willingly but most people take the safe route.

Dark Shaman: Not a bad fight at all, especially if two tanked. I feel like if it was tuned to take significantly longer 3 tanking (like they get a damage reduction buff if they're too far apart) and the sub 25% phase was extended it'd be a much more interesting encounter while having a greater benefit for two tanking and dealing with both shaman's abilities at once.

Nazgrim: Not the greatest of encounters personally. It made sense thematically for him and props for that, it just felt like a weak encounter overall though. Probably had a bit to do with Nazgrim himself not actually feeling all that powerful as a boss.

Malkorok: Solo tanking Bloodrage is fun! Good time for dps to do some tunneling and orbs makes another pacman esque encounter on heroic for finding your way to the implosions you have to close. Healers also get to feel awesome and pad meters hardcore if they'd like to as well. Not bad, and the jump in difficulty was welcome.

Spoils: Trash run, but unlike Galakras your group could speed it up or slow it down (while staying within the enrages of course) which makes it a lot more interesting both for progression and farm. You can also mix up the combinations you get and the panda buffs make very happy tanks/healers.

Thok: Dislike this encounter because it basically highlighted a lot of what had gone wrong with raid cooldowns and healing power. Also didn't help that 25 man could progress with 8 healers and be fine, while 10 man (prenerf) was fairly restricted on comp because of the massive amount of damage and cooldown requirements (more paladins pl0x).

Siegecrafter: Choose your adventure kind of boss where a lot of the danger came from the environment with the boss augmenting this. Encounter felt really unfinished on normal, but heroic felt great.

Klaxxi: Probably my favorite encounter of the entire raid. So many things to know and be aware of, you can change the order which then changes how you handle things, and there's some butt clench moments for the tanks at the end (keeping Ka'roz up the entire fight)! Normal felt so incredibly tame its pretty boring. Heroic felt amazing and I really like what they did.

Garrosh: Not my favorite end boss (that said I've only done Lich King and Deathwing while current and Deathwing was awful) but as a fight on the whole it wasn't bad. P2 and P3 felt really repetitive. Its too bad that not all of the phases are used in Heroic (Crane is never seen, and ToES is skipped even by 10m now) because there's some lost potential, that said the encounter is already incredibly long to start with. It felt good to kill'em but didn't have the same feeling as Lei Shen.

Like I said, overall not a bad tier at all. Its just too bad we're going to have it for over a year.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

Deleted
    I don't hate the raid, I just don't like spending this much time in it.

Running the same bosses over and over and over, alot of our guildies have stopped raiding because they are just too bored of it

Deleted
    Am I the only player that has enjoyed every raid tier so far?

I don't get the hate for DS at all, sure it reused models and zones, but the boss fights were unique and fun which is what counts IMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lazerhawk View Post
    Am I the only player that has enjoyed every raid tier so far?

I don't get the hate for DS at all, sure it reused models and zones, but the boss fights were unique and fun which is what counts IMO.
    It's because both of the last two fights were kill blobs --> kill tentacles --> kill blobs ---> ad infinitum (almost)

Deleted
    SoO is a great raid, but it suffers from being the last raid of an expansion and with this long of a gap from the release of SoO to release of WoD, it will inevitably become boring and crap to people. If SoO had lasted for 6-8 months max it would have been a whole other story.

Deleted
    In my opinion SoO was beside tot and mogushanvaults the best tier this addon

Yeah I think the title for this one went to Dragon Soul. SoO for me ranked up there with some of the best

One of the best tiers in game..even if i got burned out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Eh.

Ulduar>Kara>Naxx>other raids.
    I love how on these forum polls/questions Karazhan is always ranked up high but in reality the majority of people must hate that place according to the logic presented in this thread

Paragons: BORING! Kill a bunch of Klaxxi in the right order... Why is this the final fight before Garrosh? First fight or 2nd I can understand but before Garrosh? I don't get it!

Garrosh: Honestly I feel like this fight was a bit of a let down really. Stack, spread, ranged go to one corner, go to the other corner, kill weapons... Is it easy? By all means no... But it just didn't feel like an epic battle like against Deathwing or The Lich King.
    Sorry what now?

Paragons 25HC is one of the most intense fights I've seen (aside from Siegecrafter). Garrosh is a pretty harsh individual check, as you need to be very aware of positioning and pushing a shit ton of DPS at the right times.

Deleted
    Naa. It's not the worst but its not the best. Some interesting and fun fights, a nice amount of lore around it, fairly varied environments and a decent difficulty curve. I'd say its middle of the pack or slightly higher but its certainly no Ulduar or Karazhan.

DS is a candidate for the worst. Deathwing (both spine and madness) were not the fights I envisioned for end of expansion and the most powerful end game boss, pretty embarrassing tbh. Rehashed raid design, meh bosses and 8 bosses only added to the pain. It was the first time since I started raiding that I quit an entire raid tier.

Mount Hyjal isn't particularly good either. Even though its a pivotal lore point and its cool to see the guys you killed in the WC3 campaign, it doesn't mean that Hyjal is any less tedious with AoE trash packs. Bosses weren't too bad but the entire raid certainly wasn't up to par with Black Temple or Sunwell.

TotC is another candidate for the worst and probably takes it. Even though people hate trash, it's necessary in tier raids to give people time to recuperate after a boss fight, chill out a bit and immerse themselves in the theme of the raid. Only 5 bosses with little mechanical difference from normal to heroic besides Anub'arak, some of the worst tier set designs, meh bosses and the most lazy raid art design. Yeah this is far worse than SoO. You can tell that it was purely made to tie people over until ICC which didn't help since the tier before it was still challenging and easily top 3 raids in the entirety of WoW. It failed its objective and failed as a raid, glad we didn't see something so lazy ever again.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2014-07-06 at 05:30 PM.

Ruby Sanctum is by far the worst IMO