Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't play WoW anymore, but when I did I played it with the normal English version.

WoW isn't even available in swedish and even if it was I wouldn't use it.
    Everything on my computer is in English. OS, programs, everything.
    My phone is also in English.

I just prefer English for everything even slightly concerning computer technology. Stuff just turns weird when trying to translate it + it takes extra time. I'm fluent in English anyway so it doesn't matter what language stuff is in.

Deleted
    I have never played a game in other languages than english in my life i think.

Everything on my computer too is in english. I think it's pretty normal for people living in Scandinavian to just have it that way. We're generally teached english at a very young age. It helps with figuring out all the technical stuff aswell.
    Last edited by mmoc9c8a116f72; 2014-06-23 at 09:17 PM.

English native, but I play on the Spanish client. Helps me learn weird vocabulary in Spanish that I would otherwise probably never learn.

Deleted
    I'm portuguese and to be honest I think everything sounds ridiculous in my language, I use English for everything online if possible as it is my favourite language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    English native, but I play on the Spanish client. Helps me learn weird vocabulary in Spanish that I would otherwise probably never learn.
    I do the exact Opposite. Howewer i did started playing in spanish, but then after a long pause i came back to play in english this time, in a spanish server. So yeah. Links from trade chats come in spanish but i do realize what they are linking.. most fo the time. Its more confusing with dungeons or raids or zones though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Québec, so it is more practical to play in English on North American servers than in French on French server with a time lap of 6 hours.

I saw some French translations though. Some are interesting enough, but others, especially character names, just sound awful. You cannot create names in French the same way you can create names in English, so litteral translation often sound awkward. In English, you can easily take two nouns, put them together and it makes sense : Stormrage = Storm rage, a rage that is like the storm or that comes from the storm. In French, you need to put an article, like Rage-de-Tempête, which is not really elegant. So instead, we have Hurlorage (hurle - to howl - and orage - storm) which is not really better, to be honest.

Some good translations (IMO) :

Stormwind : Hurlevent (Howlingwind. Litteral would be Vent-de-Tempête, which would be horrid for a city)
    Redridge Mountains : Les Carmines ("carmin" being a shade of red)
    Jaina Proudmoore : Jaina Portvaillant (Jaina Valliantport)
    The Barrens : Les Tarides
    Outland : Outreterre
    Northrend : Norfendre (Nord (North) + fendre (to rend))

Some bad (also IMO) :

Tyrande Whisperwind : Tyrande Murmevent (They tried to scrunch "murmure", whisper, and "vent", wind. It sounds silly)
    Thunder Bluff : Pitons-du-Tonnerre
    Cairne Bloodhoof : Cairne Sabot-de-Sang
    Frostmourne : Deuillegivre... yuck.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2014-06-23 at 10:08 PM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't use it even if I had the option of having WoW in my native language. Everything sounds so bad compared to the English version. Interaction with other players isn't an issue either, since I mostly speak in English with my friends when we play games anyway. We use our native language only out of WoW, and even then, we partially use English.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

No. I only talk in my native language with my family. I use English for everything else.
    pokemon x/y 3ds 3969-5096-1949 Abra, Espurr and Xatu

Sadly I'd have to play on european servers to play in my native language.. I have no clue why there isn't a french-canadian client since there is a french one. But even then I'm not sure I'd play with a french client, all those spell names translations are freaking me out when I see them.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    No, and I most likely wouldn't even if I could. The game localisations into Czech are usually worse than abyssmal, both text translations (usually, the translators have zero to no knowledge of not only the game's universe, but even about phrases - Warcraft III's "Smokin'" translated to "There shall be smoke!" equivalent, or "I'll give it a shot!" into "I think I'll have to shoot him..." equivalent. Neither of which made any sense whatsoever, as they were units acknowledging MOVEMENT) and voice acting (flat speech, no emotions anywhere, even in moments where they were REALLY warranted, and frequently three to four voice actors for an entire game). There have been some improvements about it lately, however the Czech game localisation scene simply couldn't handle something as big as WoW now.

Deleted
    I always play games with their original language settings. Same for books and movies. Most of the time the translations are not very good.

Personally I totally hate playing in ones own language. I am Dutch myself. I even flat out refuse to speak or write it even to another person I know is Dutch, ingame.

If I only have to think about one language, the one I am currently writing in will go much faster if I don't have to switch back and forth
    The english language sounds so much cooler to me then if I would translate everything to dutch. "Ik bezweer je met mijn vuurspreuk!" "Met mijn tweehandig zwaard zal ik je tot moes slaan!" Come on! That shit won't fly.

Besides that I find it easier to say "for fuck sake" in english and mean far less by it then speaking the same meaning in Dutch. Same goes for a positive: If I say I love you in english, to me it has far less meaning then "Ik hou van je" in Dutch. So there is a small barrier there.

Guilds: while I can understand that you sometimes would speak/chat to another in your own language. I always stayed far away from Dutch guilds. Usually those guilds are full of kids who don't speak nor write proper english. And thats why they want to be in a Dutch guild. I have a big bias against those kinds of people. A large part of people who cannot speak/write english are morons. And I am not talking about you guys who are 40+ or something. Atleast this goes for a lot of dutch guilds. I have been in a few just for kicks (short term) because a Dutch friend of a friend was in one. They can't even write proper Dutch. So... I rest my case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Voice acting isn't so bad... but they translated EVERYTHING. WC3 italian version still had Northrend, Stormrage, Lightbringer... now they're all horribly translated to absurd names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    I play it in english. Don't take it as an offense OP, but for us portuguese reading and hearing translations to br-pt sounds really awful. There's some things, like names, that should be left untranslated. (Stormwind = Ventobravo.... )
    The same goes for the French version, which is awful because everything is translated.
    I prefer to have the original version.

Hate our localization, actors don't even try to match voices. Voljin speaks like any other NPC and not in troll style. I eve agree to pay more for eng. client + our realms.

Not available in my native language. Wouldn't use it even if it was.

They really put much effort in translating the game - at least to german.
    I think it is very well done, but they reworked it in patch 1.3 and started to literally translate english names like Stormwind ("Sturmwind"), Ironforge ("Eisenschmiede") or even Stranglethorn valley ("Schlingendornental").

This was when I switched to the english client, because those names sound dumb and not as I remember them from the older games and books.

I also have a french client installed because I wanted to refresh my french language skills, playing on a french server. Did not go too well, I understand what they are saying, but if I am looking for something I often do not remember the right words and often get laughed upon.

Deleted
    In general I play my games/ watch movies/ read books in its original language as long i know that language (German, English, French) and when it's translated from something else for example spanish or japanese I try to find the best translation in English or German.
    I am glad the German translation of wow-names is often not as horrible, since both languages are relatively close (Stormwind -> Sturmwind), but I sometimes get a kick out of it and set my game to spanish to laugh my ass of at Ventobravo.
    But I miss the days when Illidan was still called Stormrage in classic WoW and WC3 instead of Sturmgrimm or Outlands was called Fremdland instead of Scherbenwelt (Fragment world?).

Im from sweden but use english ingame, though there is tons of swedes playing the game and i always find other swedes whether it's dungeons pvp or in guilds the swedes is everywhere.

Also my native language isn't available for wow.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2014-06-24 at 10:13 AM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

I doubt Blizzard even know the manx language exists, so no.

Im from Sweden and as some posters have said before there isnt any Swedish version of WoW, and even if there was i wouldnt use it. I have always read books watched movies and whatnot in their native language becuase i think so much is lost in translation. And when it comes to voiceovers it just pains me hearing them most of the times. Especially when you have heard it in English before it just dont sound right!