Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Oh I see. I thought megaservers only kicked in on low pop.

Add me (sig) and if I'm on while you're farming and you have space, gimme a shout. That'd be awesome.

Deleted
    I will ^^ Got lots to do today but you'll probably see me online in the evening - I'm usually online in the evening.

So i actually motivated myself to download the patch and try the new content.

Played for 30 minutes and logged off.

I get that Anet slowly releases tid bits of content at a time, but come on. Boring ass gameplay, laggy as fuck new zone, and bare minimum content to do during the patch. No thank you. Looks like Anet will continue to disappoint (for me personally) with Season 2.

And before the inevitable tidal wave of people come to defend GW2, keep in mind.....personal opinion. Nothing more.

I liked the new zone, didn't care for the biconics interaction, but otherwise the instances were okay. I regard it as an intro to the new story, so not going to judge the entire story for it. One of my friends liked it, another quit the game over it because it pissed her off so much, another doesn't care for it but is still doing other things.

The new replay system is okay, but you should be able to turn off tracking entirely. Having to replay all of them to get to the point where you can choose what to replay also lacked and I found the rewards for all of it to be pointless. I can get champ bags anywhere, it'd be nice to have something unique dropping from the bags.

From what I keep seeing/hearing, it looks like anyone who liked season 1, likes season 2. And anyone who hated season 1, hates season 2. Surprise, surprise. Anet has done nothing to win anyone else over yet.

I also really feel like Anet and GW2 gets cut A LOT of slack because the game is B2P and so many people are willing to forgive A LOT of things because they are no longer spending money on it after the initial purchase. Which, IMO, is a very bad thing to do. If this exact same kind of game with the level of quality in the updates (and when I say quality, I don't mean in a good way) were to be sub-based, people would be giving it HELL and saying how it wasn't worth it. Now I know some people will say, that's ok because it isn't sub-based, but seriously? It still gets cut way to much slack in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    But personally I would have liked the GW1 model more with actual paid expansions with a good amount of content... but then again I like pretty much everything about GW1 more than GW2 (aside from the graphics).
    I wholeheartedly agree. Why Anet abandoned the model they knew worked for this abomination they call a living story is beyond me.

To be fair, Anet's current model is working too. Better in fact from a business perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    To be fair, Anet's current model is working too. Better in fact from a business perspective.
    Not denying that. I was just talking about from a fun and worthwhile perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    From what I keep seeing/hearing, it looks like anyone who liked season 1, likes season 2. And anyone who hated season 1, hates season 2. Surprise, surprise. Anet has done nothing to win anyone else over yet.
    I was pretty indifferent to S1, but I'm loving S2 so far. We'll see if they can keep this up beyond the first update, but I thought the first episode of S2 was fantastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Not denying that. I was just talking about from a fun and worthwhile perspective.
    Which is entirely subjective. There seem to be more than enough folks who find it fun and worthwhile atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Which is entirely subjective. There seem to be more than enough folks who find it fun and worthwhile atm.
    Obviously it's subjective (didn't think I would need to explain that......but I digress). However, there are several people who share the same subjective opinion. And to use the age old saying.....if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Face it....the only reason why Anet changed their content update model between GW1 and GW2 is because they thought it would put more money in their pockets. They didn't do it for the players. Period.

the only reason why Anet changed their content update model between GW1 and GW2 is because they thought it would put more money in their pockets. They didn't do it for the players. Period.
    of course, a lot more players are playing GW2 than GW1 because of how it's different to other classic mmos and even GW1. It's only natural that the more people like the game, the more buy it and the more money Anet gets from them. I gladly bought Gems the last months to support the devs who put a lot of good stuff into the game. I didn't have to since I have enough gold to buy the things from the gemstore I want, but I think they are on the right path.

And look at the feedback they got for the first episode of season 2

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...ort=confidence

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...provment/first

Overall a very positive response from fans all around the internet. So please cut the crap about LS only being 30min content (story alone took me more than 2 hours, without the achievements for the hardcore players) which clearly shows that you haven't given the new content a chance at all.

Let people make their own opinion, based on the links of feedback provided and your post-history. Thanks.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the new content is fantastic. So fantastic that I've been playing the game for 2 weeks, spent money in their cash shop, and had fun. Looking forward to the next update, continuing to play, and the lack of pressure of a subscription fee. I play it on my time and I feel like I'm making progress on something every second I'm in the game. I didn't like S1 because of the way it was implemented and I couldn't find time to complete everything.
    BAD WOLF

That hasn't been my experience at all with any of the folks I play with. But, I mean, you only played the new patch for a half hour, so not sure how many interviews you accomplished during that time...

I also really feel like Anet and GW2 gets cut A LOT of slack because the game is B2P and so many people are willing to forgive A LOT of things because they are no longer spending money on it after the initial purchase. Which, IMO, is a very bad thing to do. If this exact same kind of game with the level of quality in the updates (and when I say quality, I don't mean in a good way) were to be sub-based, people would be giving it HELL and saying how it wasn't worth it. Now I know some people will say, that's ok because it isn't sub-based, but seriously? It still gets cut way to much slack in this regard.
    The initial payment bought the initial game, folks liked or disliked based on that. Further updates can be judged based on whether they are fun or not as it works, without worrying about how much it costs them. Like them adding a new map to some FPS multiplayer. Don't like it, don't play it, life goes on. Your comparison would be to judge every map based on the initial $50+ cost of the product. (That's ignoring how many times map-packs cost money.)

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously it's subjective (didn't think I would need to explain that......but I digress). However, there are several people who share the same subjective opinion. And to use the age old saying.....if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Face it....the only reason why Anet changed their content update model between GW1 and GW2 is because they thought it would put more money in their pockets. They didn't do it for the players. Period.
    Lots of folks prefer regular updates rather than buying entirely new games every now and then, not sure why you think most folks prefer GW1's system. They didn't even seem to like it DURING GW1`, since they switched to a regular expac for GW:EN and then switched to regular unpaid updates after that.

So, really, what WAS GW1's update style that is so laudable?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I thought the new content is fantastic. So fantastic that I've been playing the game for 2 weeks, spent money in their cash shop, and had fun. Looking forward to the next update, continuing to play, and the lack of pressure of a subscription fee. I play it on my time and I feel like I'm making progress on something every second I'm in the game. I didn't like S1 because of the way it was implemented and I couldn't find time to complete everything.
    If Kelimbror has been playing GW2 for 2 weeks and bought gems that mean Anet is doing something right :P
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

But they did do it for the players. Maintaining constant content updates is expensive, and through S1 content wasn't monetized. The game is supported in an ongoing basis through its cash shop, which is not directly tied to the content, as it can be updated freely without any impact on the new content itself. If they stuck with the old model, but with continued cash shop updates, they'd be able to monetize almost every single piece of work they did for the game, like what happened with GW1. With the model GW2 is using, which again, doesn't exclude expansions at a later date, players are actually getting more content for free than they would if Anet used the old model.

Yes, it's more financially sound for them to use this model, as they can keep more player playing for longer and continue to monetize them. However, it's cheaper for folks who don't spend much/anything in the cash shop, as they're not obligated to purchase bi-annual expansions to access more content.

I don't see where much of your logic is coming from. It seems rather faulty.

I mean, games regularly change what "isn't broken" in an attempt to improve it. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it fails. But just because something is functional, doesn't mean it's functioning optimally or can't be improved. Especially with a changing market that's increasingly competitive. If you don't change and adapt to the demands and needs of the market because you'd rather stay with the "tried and true" old wisdom, then you get left behind. Why do you think WoW, for example, integrated their cash shop into the game itself and has been steadily expanding it?

Well. They really don't have to do anything "for the players". The game is Anet's creation as such it can have the goal of serving themselves every bit as serving the customer.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    If Kelimbror has been playing GW2 for 2 weeks and bought gems that mean Anet is doing something right :P
    Pretty much. I mean I love the game, but never played it for reasons. Since I couldn't invest in it mentally, I literally didn't invest in it. Now it's a valuable product to me and I both wanted to spend money because the cash shop has stuff I want now and because I like supporting this method of content updates and development. I'm no fool, I won't be playing this game 24/7 for the year or anything, but it's already more exciting than an end game that consists of arbitrary grinds, forced progression stagnation, and copypasta dailies and zones.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Not sure what some people expect from a game that is free past initial purchase. You're getting a couple of hours' worth of content for nothing every few weeks. That's on top of the huge pile of things to do aside from LS updates.

I spent £40 on the game, plus maybe £40-50 more on gems up to now. At 488 hours (and counting) played it's probably the 2nd best game in my library in terms of money spent:fun had.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    This game needs a reconnect feature for the story, just dc'ed because of the issues they have with their servers and found out I need to start over again with the story bit I almost was done with... waste of time....
    it would be nice

GW1 was the same way with the missions