10+ Year Old Account

<Vendetta> get World First on Laethys

It's been a few weeks now since Rift launched it's Tier 3 Raids in the form of the Bindings of Blood' where you went back in time to help the original heroes take on the Blood Gods in their original form and bind them.

First up we had Greenscale and Akylios, then we got Laethys and Maelforge, well Laethys proved she's still as tough an old bird (or dragon) to kill as she was back in Infernal Dawn as it took a few weeks for Guilds to get her down, funnily enough two Guilds killed her within a day or so.

First kill goes to <Vendetta> who can lay claim to the World First and of course NA first, followed closely by another NA Guild <Trinity>, the race is still on for a European first

Here's the kill videos, first by Vendetta and followed by Trinity's kill video, enjoy. The race now is on for Maelforge

<Vendetta> kill video

<Trinity> kill video

Well done to them, but I can't help but watch the video and feel bored. I'm not bashing Rift at all, I think it's a fun game, but it just feels so ... boring to me.

None the less, this is a good achievement for the guild. It's nice to see there is still a strong interest in Rift End Game PvE.

Just for reference, I don't think either of those videos have the game maxed out. I remember it looking a lot better when I was playing it a few months ago on maxed out settings. Although I haven't seen the new raid I would still imagine it to be a bit prettier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    I can't help but watch the video and feel bored.
    That can be said about every boss fight in every MMO if you're not actively playing said MMO and don't know the fights.

"But they're just running around, avoiding X Y and Z"

Fairly sure if i watched a video of Heroic Garrosh i'd say the same thing, looks boring, run around, stack up, spread out, kill this, avoid that....

Deleted
    I like everything about Rift except for it being ridiculously easy. Even these bosses that you linked are trash.

I hope that they up the difficulty soon and I'm all in for playing again.

10+ Year Old Account
    'Calm down Nathi.' LOL.

Looks a great fight. Seems like there's really a lot of elements to it. I love the Thaddius +/- mechanic along with all that movement part of the boss.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    That can be said about every boss fight in every MMO if you're not actively playing said MMO and don't know the fights.

"But they're just running around, avoiding X Y and Z"

Fairly sure if i watched a video of Heroic Garrosh i'd say the same thing, looks boring, run around, stack up, spread out, kill this, avoid that....
    I doubt that, I've seen both HC Garrosh, and just watched that one, and HC garrosh looks a lot better (in my humble opinion) there is a lot more going on I think, I don't raid, so I have no interest either way:P

10+ Year Old Account
    It's unbelievable that they still manage to keep the animation at such abysmal levels, i would like to see the whole video but my eyes grew fists and punched my face at 4:33

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    It's unbelievable that they still manage to keep the animation at such abysmal levels, i would like to see the whole video but my eyes grew fists and punched my face at 4:33
    Haha, that made me chuckle

10+ Year Old Account
    The graphics look nice to me actually. That second video, where it shows his keyboard presses, I would absolutely love if more streamers did that, I have no idea how that works.
    You're a towel.

Man, Rift has aged so poorly. I remembered it looking really good since I last played 3 months after launch.

Quote Originally Posted by klebslol View Post
    Man, Rift has aged so poorly. I remembered it looking really good since I last played 3 months after launch.
    The settings don't look like they're at max. FPS > visual quality when doing any kind of serious raiding and Rift is still locked to a single CPU core, so performance is pretty shitty : /

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzel View Post
    I like everything about Rift except for it being ridiculously easy. Even these bosses that you linked are trash.

I'm pretty sure both Laethys and Maelforge and probably Akylios would have you crying for mommy. Rift raiding is harder than WoW raiding as someone who raided in WoW all the way up to Cata and at time in Progression raiding (vanilla mostly but a bit in TBC).

As for Laethys. Its more of a static fight. Like any good raiding MMO Rift has a variety of raid types. Laethys is extremely extremely tight in terms of tuning. But is not as complicated or chaotic of a fight as say Planebreaker Abominus or even Volan or Akylios (original one before all the various nerfs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efUmhV3V80U Watch the last 3 minutes or so (final phase). It doesn't get much crazier than that at least at that time in Rift. I think WoW has tighter checks (ie healing or dps) because it can afford to. Rift doesn't have the amount of players raiding. In WoW you can have 40 top tier raiders in one guild. In Rift the best guilds have maybe 10.

And I'm not saying WoW didn't have fights that were just as good, cause they did. Yogg 0, Lich King before all the various nerfs, Ragnaros (take 2), Muru pre nerf all were very very tough fights but many of the fights people talk about in WoW's first expansion or vanilla were either 40 man or there was simply not many quality wise compared to Rift. I think when you look at raiding in Lich King and Cata they did a pretty great job, but Rift is only at the end of its first expansion. Also in some cases Rift classes are more work to play. Sure you have macros but alot of souls can't utilize macros and they have alot more abilities. WoW classes are more simplified with strict rotations.

My point is that both games are pretty much the pinnacle of raiding right now in MMO's. What about Wildstar you ask? I dunno I haven't seen enough of it yet. And I'm not there yet with my character. But I tend to think Wildstar would be tougher cause of how unforgiving some boss telegraphs can be and with most wildstar abilities being "skill shots". Time will tell.
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2014-06-26 at 05:50 AM.

I would also say Rift's raiding environment is far from "easy". It's not laborious or logistically complicated as my EQ/FF11/RA days of raids in groups of 20, 40 and 120 persons.

My time raiding in Rift up to the introduction of the last raid tier (I can't play as often these days) is as difficult as any 2nd era MMO I have played. I have played all major MMOs seriously, btw.

Rift's raids are quite demanding on players. Objectively, the gameplay is some of the most complex in the genre style. Personal opinion is irrelevant to gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzel View Post

How much raiding have you done in Rift? Raids don't get "easy" til you out gear it in this game and then 1 or 2 people fucking up can cost you a win. The game is a great game and still offers a fairly good difficulty curve. Also to compare it to say wow. The only hard fights in SoO are Siegecrafter-Garosh. Even then once you get a kill on Garry he pretty much becomes farm since all that fight is really is a rinse and repeat fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I would also say Rift's raiding environment is far from "easy". It's not laborious or logistically complicated as my EQ/FF11/RA days of raids in groups of 20, 40 and 120 persons.

My time raiding in Rift up to the introduction of the last raid tier (I can't play as often these days) is as difficult as any 2nd era MMO I have played. I have played all major MMOs seriously, btw.

Rift's raids are quite demanding on players. Objectively, the gameplay is some of the most complex in the genre style. Personal opinion is irrelevant to gameplay.
    AHHH I remember raiding plane of water with 140+ people for attunements back in the day. I miss the golden days of EQ lol.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    How much raiding have you done in Rift? Raids don't get "easy" til you out gear it in this game and then 1 or 2 people fucking up can cost you a win. The game is a great game and still offers a fairly good difficulty curve. Also to compare it to say wow. The only hard fights in SoO are Siegecrafter-Garosh. Even then once you get a kill on Garry he pretty much becomes farm since all that fight is really is a rinse and repeat fight.

- - - Updated - - -

AHHH I remember raiding plane of water with 140+ people for attunements back in the day. I miss the golden days of EQ lol.
    Difficulty, especially if measured in "the only hard fights are" is so freaking subjective, it's useless.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose