High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

WoD profession question

Hi.
    so I tried looking for an answer to this my self and havent found any, so im just gonna ask;
    any serious changes in professions on WoD?
    just a little back ground, played wow tbc to pre icc's last wing, and then quited up until now, planing on buying the game at around WoD release date.

so i remember that having a profession to its max was VERY hard, and leveling too, but the thing is it wasent as hard as it felt pointless..let me explain.

WHY did i have to pick mats for my proff (mining\herb) that i dont need for anything BUT leveling it (who cares for thorium, i need saronite and cobalt for the cool stuff!)? why do i have to train in places that i only train in for leveling (outland is awesome, but im going to spend 99% of my game time in northrend anyways.. right?) ?
    i hope i made my self clear, kind of.
    the thing is, looking back when i only had to train in azaroth and outland to finally get to the "right continent" wasent THAT bad compare to now, when i have to train in what ever the zones that i need to train in to get to 85 (cataclysm) and then at pandaria (thats a place right..?) to get to 90.
    and once im finally level 100 and want to pick up a profession, why must i go back to all this old places that i never even got to play in the first place and really dont care about, for stupid mats that i only need for leveling the professions, and that will give me nothing anyways for the WoD endgame, plus, the other factor is that its probably hard as hell leveling a profession from zero to max this days, so many mats..

so yeah thats my criticize and i hope blizzard mentioned somewhere theyr going to take care of this issues, id be happy if someone will shed a little bit of light on this.

thanks in advance, and i hope my english dident make ur eyes bleed.
    BoomShakalaka

The major change they're making in Warlords of Draenor is that professions will no longer offer passive "perks," so if leveling them up annoys you, you can ignore them entirely. If you'd like to have them for the sake of making money but you can't be arsed to go back to old zones to harvest materials, you can pick two gathering professions. You'll be able to level those up in expansion zones, harvesting level appropriate creatures.

Yes they've made catch up system for some professions. They may have catch up system for all professions when WoD comes out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also Garrisons will let you have 3(?) pseudo-professions. And your followers and buildings will gather the materials.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    holy shit, thats amazing ! thanks everyone.
    any more cool stuff coming up?

but, theres also a semi question about leveling in old zones, what about these?
    BoomShakalaka

Well if they're smart, they'll let you determine what your garrison's mines and gardens and stables produce so you can generate the materials to level up a profession regardless of your level or location. That's what they did in Wildstar, at any rate, and Blizzard seems to be cribbing a fair bit of garrison functionality from W*.

Deleted
    Cooking got a catch-up mechanism in MoP, so you can level it from scratch to MoP level simply by using a vendor. No need to go back for old meats and fish.

Blacksmithing also got a catch-up mechanism, in that you get an option at level 85 (I think) to use a bunch of white recipes from a MoP vendor which all use MoP ores. It means you don't have to go back to farm old ores or buy them from the AH, but it also means you can't disenchant or sell anything you make. You can still level the profession the old way if you choose, which can be profitable if you make only things which disenchant into valuable materials or can be sold for transmog.

Inscription has a new leveling process on beta. Trainers don't teach glyphs anymore and the old research methods, which could only be performed once a day, have been removed. Trainers now teach inks, new research methods, and non-glyph items (flavor stuff, off-hands, etc.). When you learn a new ink, you also learn a research method associated with that ink. Research gives skill-ups, so you level by repeatedly doing research with that ink in order to discover the glyphs associated with it (they redid ink distribution, so each type of ink is used to make a roughly equal number of glyphs). This means that you don't need to farm or buy books and techniques anymore, since you can discover every glyph via research. However, this still means that, unless you have a friend with maxed Inscription, you'll need to farm/buy old herbs for each ink tier. If you know a maxed scribe, you can give them massive amounts of current herbs and they can make you current inks, which you can trade for older inks. Once you're maxed yourself, you'll obviously be able to trade inks in order to make any glyph.

Other crafting professions can't be trained beyond 600 on Beta, so it's unclear how they've changed.

Mining and herbalism have also changed in Beta, in that you can pick any herb or mine any node at skill 1, so you can level a gathering profession from scratch in WoD zones. The catch is that you won't be getting full herbs and ore pieces from a node if your skill is much lower than what the area would have normally required. You only get fragments, which you can combine into full herbs and ore (kinda like leather scraps). The higher your skill gets, the more fragments you get, and once you reach the proper skill level, you get full herbs and ore.

It looks like garrisons will have 4-ish profession buildings, along with a mine, farm (for herbs), and fishing hut. I don't think anyone will be able to level a profession just by using garrison mats unless your patience is godly, since you'll only get a few things every day. It will still be far more efficient to farm or buy mats, but the garrison can at least help you be more self-sufficient in the long run (i.e. it will probably generate enough mats so you can make yourself a few flasks every week, a few stacks of food, a new enchant, etc.). Only the Alchemy Lab is available so far (and people have been saying that it doesn't complete yet), so we don't know how the other profession buildings will work. We don't know how many profession-specific mats they'll produce and whether they'll give access to a crafter's full recipe book or only to a few recipes.

But, and this is pure speculation on my part, I suspect that they'll introduce catch-up mechanisms for all crafting professions and that they'll be using the Blacksmithing model, since it relies strictly on current mats.

Oh, when you buy WoD, you get a level 90 boost. If you use it on a level 60+ character which has trained primary professions (even if they are at skill 1), you'll get maxed primary professions and first aid (although you'll still have to buy the recipes from the trainer). So if you use it on your main or any of your 80s, you can basically swap professions for free. If you use it on a level 1, you won't get maxed professions. My advice would be to get any character you want to boost to 60, since it goes incredibly fast these days with dungeon runs and very streamlined quests. It will take less time to do that than level your own professions.