Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    A: For most indicators, each country’s score in the Good Country Index is divided by its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) so that smaller and poorer countries aren’t unduly penalised in the ranking for their limited ability to ‘make a difference’ in the world.
    The designer of this is, frankly, an idiot. If you come up with a system to answer the question, "who contributes positive things to the world?" and then start answering it by penalizing countries that actually produce technology and goods, you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitkanen View Post
    35th for life expectancy. 1st for obesity.
    We still couldn't break top 25 for life expectancy even if you cherry picked the top 20 states (even with double medical spending).
    I think mexico now has the number 1 for obesity spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Mind you, Germany started to dismantle it's military..... lol
    Take that USA.
    How to rule the world: Get rid of your armies.
    I know we're all tongue in cheek here, but the reason many "western" countries can disarm, is because they know the US has their back if need be.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Germany doesn't need to invade Europe. It could just buy it at this point.
    Now imagine, the US doing the same...... all that money that goes into the military. Where Germany could buy Europe, the US could buy the whole planet..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I know we're all tongue in cheek here, but the reason many "western" countries can disarm, is because they know the US has their back if need be.
    If need be is the key here..
    Europe (aside from those crazy Brits who haven't got the memo yet, or at least didn't read it) banks on rather peaceful non military actions.
    A handshake a day, keeps the terrorist away..... Kinda sorta that way..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    yes, Mexico knocked the US off the top spot.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    If I remember correctly the US still has the most obese people, but the percentage of the population is much lower than many countries. Pacific Islander nations Mexico and some South American countries all have a higher obese percentage of the adult population.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

yes, Mexico knocked the US off the top spot.
    I'm convinced it's all the "high corn" diets that are why the USA and Mexico are so fat.

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Implication: This ranking system was devised by a group of collegiate hippies from a peripheral European state.
    It really pisses you off that small European states are doing so much better than US on almost every scale imaginable except military power?

Aww, poor baby. Here, have some candy - you'll get back to Obesity #1 in no time.

Deleted
    There was another list that pointed out that the US was #1 in three fields

-greatest military spending
    -highest proportion of its citizens in jail
    -highest number of people who think angels are real

Search YouTube for "Why America is NOT the greatest country in the world, anymore". Can't post links yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm convinced it's all the "high corn" diets that are why the USA and Mexico are so fat.
    I think you may be right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    It really pisses you off that small European states are doing so much better than US on almost every scale imaginable except military power?

Aww, poor baby. Here, have some candy - you'll get back to Obesity #1 in no time.
    Don't be a dick, add something to the conversation.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account

I believe Didactic ain't an American...
    That theory won't hold water then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhynchelma View Post
    There was another list that pointed out that the US was #1 in three fields

-greatest military spending
    -highest proportion of its citizens in jail
    -highest number of people who think angels are real

Search YouTube for "Why America is NOT the greatest country in the world, anymore". Can't post links yet.
    That's a rather boring list, and/cause old news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Another fun couple - Zambia and Botswana are 11th and 12th on "Prosperity and Equality". Now, to be fair, they might both have equality, I have no idea, but if your formula is describing them as prosperous, your formula is wrong.
    As African countries go, Botswana is doing fairly well. They have a higher GDP per capita (PPP) than Mexico, Turkey, or Brazil. That's probably not worth 11th place in the world, of course, but while in Mozambique, people I met all spoke very well of general quality of life in Botswana.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The implication that small EU states are superior to the USA in science and technology is downright laughable.

Deleted
    That's a rather boring list, and/cause old news.
    Still true, isn't it?

You realize that it's a circular ranking system, right? That it simply divides contributions by GDP? So, when the United States produces vastly more science and technology than every other country, the idiot that came up with this formula simply divides that by GDP (which is created by that science and technology) and declares that the USA isn't actually doing much for science and technology. The result that the US is 26th is pretty stupid, but having Japan 46th on science and technology is even dumber. Seriously, how edifying do you suppose a list is if it thinks Japan is 46th in technological contributions to the world?

10+ Year Old Account
    The implication that small EU states are superior to the USA in science and technology is downright laughable.
    Do you even patent, bro?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynchelma View Post
    Still true, isn't it?
    Not really, I would wager that several Muslim countries beat the USA when it comes to believing in Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Do you even patent, bro?
    Technically the lawyer does it for me.

And, again, I realize lots of people from peripheral European nations have a hate boner for the USA, so they're eager to believe that result, but if you think Slovenia's kicking the shit out of Canada and Japan, I have to wonder about objectivity.