Poll: Are you tired of the human/orc architecture everywhere?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alliance are fine, with well developed , sturdy modern buildings.
    Horde side.. well yeah I can see why people don't want to hang around log foundation mud huts covered in a tarp.

This is a terrible poll and a symptom of why they're almost never taken seriously on here.

While I really like the look of the houses, I wish I wasn't limited to just that one architecture type.

Deleted
    fuck yeah, undead buildings, producing blight, have sadistic fun on the local creatures, spreading green shit all over the place, would be wonderful

10+ Year Old Account
    I like human architecture. Wow is mainly humans vs orcs(what the first game was all about) so get used to it.

I'd like to see more of a mix of the races. The game to me has evolved beyond Orcs v Humans. I'd like the other races arch to have a little more prominence in the world and especially the expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    just wish my orc structures had more spikes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyart View Post
    fuck yeah, undead buildings, producing blight, have sadistic fun on the local creatures, spreading green shit all over the place, would be wonderful
    You find racial architecture across Northrend. In fact, all the variation in architecture is one of the things that makes that expansion feel richer than MoP, even though there was a much higher technical budget for detail and texturing in MoP. The Undead have stayed to their gothic roots elsewhere in game. If I played Undead I would totally want my garrison to look something like Venomspite or Vengeance Landing.

edit: the more I think about it the more I simply can't fathom a Forsaken or Bloodelf spending their own time and resources to build a personal base of operation based on a culture they merely tolerate. Orc huts are movin'-on-up for Tauren but the Forsaken and Belfs come from more evolved cultures and wouldn't live like savages if they had any say in the matter. Going through the effort to expand and upgrade the garrison, for them, would be putting lipstick on a pig.
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 2014-07-08 at 01:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I play Tauren mostly, but I prefer Orcish and Forsaken architecture, since I think the trolls and taurens are too barbaric for my taste.
    I can understand that giving players multiple building styles is a too big of development task for something that isn't really at the core of gameplay.
    When making updated models is one of the key improvements of this expansion, I get that it's a lot of work just making models, and they seem to be pretty preoccupied with the races atm.
    Problem is, while it's not directly a core part of gameplay (Aside from the fact that it will be an integral part of the questing experience) Garrisons along with old player model redux is a selling point of the expansion. It's not something tacked on last minute, it's not coming in a 6.X patch, it's something literally designed to get you excited for and purchase the expansion.

I just hope to the heavens that if they end up trying to put additional architecture from different races in Garrisons, I really really really hope they don't put it behind the Blizzard store.

But I can see it already. "For a quick and easy 49.99$ you can buy Blood Elf and High Elf buildings for your Garrison, or only pay 5$ a building! It's a steal."

Maybe I can buy the molten corgi for 10$ and it will dry my tears.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Well they did say they'd work on something more about that stuff in the future, so lets just hope we won't be stuck with this "Human/Orc" thing for long.

I miss seeing Night Elf architecture and I don't even know what "Dwarf architecture" is at this point. It's usually just some tents, a statue of a Dwarf and some rams hanging around.

Apparently taking portals, and putting those portals in other places takes 100000 man hours, as well as buckets of money blizzard apparently doesn't have

Source: Every twitter post from Devs ever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    You find racial architecture across Northrend. In fact, all the variation in architecture is one of the things that makes that expansion feel richer than MoP, even though there was a much higher technical budget for detail and texturing in MoP. The Undead have stayed to their gothic roots elsewhere in game. If I played Undead I would totally want my garrison to look something like Venomspite or Vengeance Landing.

edit: the more I think about it the more I simply can't fathom a Forsaken or Bloodelf spending their own time and resources to build a personal base of operation based on a culture they merely tolerate. Orc huts are movin'-on-up for Tauren but the Forsaken and Belfs come from more evolved cultures and wouldn't live like savages if they had any say in the matter. Going through the effort to expand and upgrade the garrison, for them, would be putting lipstick on a pig.
    Yeah, a blood elf would never want to spend a moment in a garrison with huts
    Beta club member

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I want more options for my garrison, and I also want the other cities to be more relevant. I can always go there if I want to, so I guess it's not really a big deal. But it would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    Apparently taking portals, and putting those portals in other places takes 100000 man hours, as well as buckets of money blizzard apparently doesn't have

Source: Every twitter post from Devs ever

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, a blood elf would never want to spend a moment in a garrison with huts
    Don't you know? We lost Ray D. Tear in the great npc-portal explosion, where they copy pasted too many npcs and portals into Draenor and caused a second Outland. That's why they had to scrap it and do WoD all over again. That's why Zugzughuts and Fort Copypasta are the new faction capitols, because too much awesome and portals were put into the faction related zones (smv, ffr)
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

I don't mind the human and orc architecture but it would be nice to have more options to choose from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    Wow. It's a good thing they have more than a couple guys in their art department and asset teams. ROFL
    With the time it takes them to churn out stuff, I think not wasting months of inordinate time on this is the best course forwards.

The components are all smaller bits, a lot of which already exist in game. In fact I'm betting a lot of them are already individual assets used to adorn what's already been built, all of it with repeating motifs, repeating designs and repeating layouts. They don't hand-craft every face and every structure of every building in game from scratch. They already very likely have a rich set of assets. That's why you see so much repetition throughout the game. That's how this stuff works.
    What does the visual bank look like for Tauren? Or Trolls? Or gnomes? Or other races who haven't seen relevant updates to their architecture since they were first included in WoW? And how about blood elves? All of their buildings are exceptionally generic and devoid of any real "added doodads" to the exterior beyond their initial model mesh. The "visual bank" you speak of from them to draw from is either incomplete, outdated, or both.

And as is, Blizzard is making entirely new building models for the garrisons anyway.

This would have been proposed, outlined and the system designed during the initial phases of the patch and the very idea of Garrisons and these items feathered right into all the new assets being made. As is they beg the question why have them at all, with all the things they aren't and can't do, just have another phased quest hub somewhere that doesn't imply or involve player "ownership" in any way.
    The garrisons are going to be what they're going to be. You may wish them to be full-fledged player housing, or wish them to be 100% customizable, but your wishes aren't necessarily what Blizzard's design intent was, and what it is isn't necessarily what you hoped it would be. So Blizzard isn't going to scrap an idea they've apparently put a good amount of work (and good 100 or so models into) because "well it doesn't have the customization people thought it would."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What does the visual bank look like for Tauren? Or Trolls? Or gnomes? Or other races who haven't seen relevant updates to their architecture since they were first included in WoW? And how about blood elves? All of their buildings are exceptionally generic and devoid of any real "added doodads" to the exterior beyond their initial model mesh. The "visual bank" you speak of from them to draw from is either incomplete, outdated, or both.
    Wrong. Even the original architecture, WoW 1.xx will be constructed of assets. Your excuse is based on an assumption that the reason a structure within a racial home city looks like one sitting right next to it is because some Keebler Elf working away at Blizzard crafted a copy of a previous model? No. There is shared datasets throughout. All I'm suggesting is extending the way they're logically already doing much of the construction to something even more scalable.

You're also, yet again, missing the point. This is something they should have done. It's too late now, most likely, it's something they should have done and built into the plan when Garrisons was on the table and the decision to make them important to this expansion's gameplay. If they're already cutting stuff out that they've already freakin' built of course they're not going to do something like this.

This sort of middle management attitude though, it reminds me of the neighbor engineer who gets fired for thinking too hum-drum and "no, we can't do that", "that's impossible" on Halt and Catch Fire.
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 2014-07-08 at 06:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wish i could have a tauren themed garrison. like up on a bluff.
    Hi

Yes, I am terribly bored of this forced Orc vs Human stuff. Horde and Alliance are not Orcs and Humans alone. Both factions have different races with different lore, different motives in faction relations, and different tastes. I fail to see blood elf mage being happy to live in a zugzug hut. I believe Blizzard should put all needed infrastructure in all capital cities, instead of forcing people to use Stormwind/Org.

About Garrisons. To be honest after they've ripped every great feature/selling point from Garrisons, like being able to choose what location to place it, being able to name followers, being able to choose building types and perks... architecture sadly means nothing in this Failyson they've turned a great feature into.

Blizzard are being too lazy, even for Blizzard's standarts. They should not ask themselves "Oh god why are we loosing subs?" because their lazyness is exactly why. During WotLK subs peaked because Blizzard were creative and actively worked on game. Compare features, raids, environments, lore, awesome DK intro quests, pre-expansion awesome event, etc etc in Wrath to the same in MoP/WoD. Compare quality of the art (tier sets, weapons). Compare game systems. Compare selling points and amounts of content delivered at release. WoD is an expansion in which we get less that we had in previous expansion - less abilities, smaller capitals, simplier dungeons, smaller numbers; and with almost all selling points being turned into a bad abominations of what they've showed to us at Blizzcon.

Well, no king can rule forever, I guess.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though