Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If I did it correctly, then this link is to the death from above attempt 28. You have almost 1.5s inbetween when he lands and when you charge. You only get one GCD ability off (Shield Slam) inside the window. Make sure you are back in there ASAP. That and pressing Shield Slam, Dragon Roar and Stormbolt are all you have to do. If he lands at 0s then I believe it should look like: Shield Slam at 0.5s, Stormbolt at 3.0s and Dragon Roar at 4.5s.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...85&view=events

Btw, if you use Storm Bolt just before he lands, the spell won't land before the damage buff is applied to the target, meaning you'll get SB + 3 other GCD's inside the buff.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Im such a retard. Like get ready for this.

I completely forgot about the short window that the debuff lasts.... so no wonder i wasn't able to kill it sometimes! Omg such a lame mistake. with my "successful soak the stomp and charge in method" i was losing about 1-2 seconds on the debuff at least which makes SOOO MUCH SENSE as to why the heck i couldn't kill him all the time. Thanks for pointing that out guys won't be doing that anymore.

How long does the SB take to land? Should I cast it while he's at the peak of his jump or shortly before he lands?! I can see timing would be imperative on that one.

I think part of my issue was rushing him to the blades as fast as i could instead of dpsing him on the way there. I need to get him lower before DfA if I don't want to blow all my CDs for the first one.

Also shout out to Cyclonus who I met in a pug heroic run on my lock a few months back- I frequently asked him for advice on warrior tanking and he was kind enough to let me come along with his guild for my first normal Garrosh kill on my warrior. Never thought I'd be tanking heroics let alone having so much fun tanking vs my lock! He continues to give me great advice whenever I need it so really thanks for that

I'm not sure on the amount of time for SB to land, I've always just cast SB right as he's about to hit the ground, charge in dragonroar and execute. I really don't even have to use Shield Slam, but that all depends on how low you have him going into DfA. You have to find the combination that works for you for a first kill.

When I was working towards a first kill I'd use all my dps cd's on the first add since my stacks were lower, and they'd be back up again later in the fight when I had to take another add after resetting my stacks. The general idea is the same though, put as much dps as you can before DfA and maximize the debuff time when he lands. The rest will fall into place.
    <Uchirosan> Day 1 Prot Warrior
    Obsidium of Thrall 7/7M Highmaul 9/10M Blackrock Foundry

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rosan/advanced

Welp

Just an update. We managed to get the boss to 21% on our best attempts. Although all of you were giving great advice on methods to kill it best, I personally found avatar to be the best talent for ME in this situation. Not being the super deluxe awesome tank ( still learning all I can ) I have a hard time timing things occasionally and basically didn't even have the add in execute range before the buff wore out (sad i know D , but found the long duration of the avatar buff to be sufficient in getting my add low enough before DfA and kinda eased the stress of getting back for that 4th stack. Although the cool down on it SUCKS ( I think it comes up by my 7th stack maybe?) It will be useful for killing one of my last adds where i have to burn it through the heal (based on our strat ).

So anyways; something to consider if in the future you see tanks struggling with it or looking for advice on how to kill that first one; avatar isn't a complete crappy choice (as I've been told by other warriors not necessarily on these forums :P) and its definitely working for me. Im sure in the future ill be comfortable enough in my ability to time SB better and do MOAR DPS- because thats whats so freakin awesome about tanking this fight right?!!?

anyways thanks for the great tips as usual guys! keep up the good work!

I also use Avatar instead of Storm Bolt for Siegecrafter. I realized that I was sometimes just fine on the first Shredder and sometimes I would get screwed with no crits (even with Reck) and I wouldn't kill him in time. Avatar lasts long enough that you can pop it right when you get the Shredder out of the healing beam, and will still be active when he lands from DFA. Every Shredder besides the first is a pushover so it's not like you'll be missing your Storm Bolt later on.

If you really want to cheese some more damage out, your stacks from Siegecrafter cap out at 10. You can live through them with external cooldowns and max-vengeance 60-rage Shield Barriers. It might be possible for you to revisit your taunting strategy and let yourself go a bit higher. You can also Intervene your co-tank while you don't have aggro if you Vengeance drops down to 0.

As for DPS trinkets, don't forget the ones off of Iron Juggernaut (healing effect is incredible if you're doing the Scorpion on Klaxxi, and the passive crit ain't bad) and Klaxxi (crit proc is nice). Thok's tail and Fusion Fire Core are mostly for their passive effects, since 15k Strength is pretty much a drop in the bucket compared to 25H Vengeance levels. Remember, Crit (and therefore Dodge/Parry) is your biggest damage scaling stat, since it's the only one that multiplies on that huge stack of Attack Power we're working with.

A bit of numbers to think about regarding the dps trinkets:
    Thok's Tail Tip (582) is 2.52% damage increase through the passive, assuming 55% effective crit.
    Juggernaut Crystal (582) is 3.20% passive crit with Riposte active.
    Skeer's Bloodsoaked Talisman (582) is 4.36% averaged crit assuming 17% uptime. The realistic benefits of crit as a proc rather than a passive are debatable.

In a more general sense, cheesing Vengeance is more about holding bosses for longer than you're supposed to so that you take higher damage from stacking debuff mechanics. It's less about holding extra adds like it was last tier. Malkorok's Fatal Strike, or holding Karoz for the whole fight on Klaxxi, or holding Thok for the entire stack phase, Garrosh Annihilates/high stacks in p2+ etc. Making use of your raid's external cooldowns to take a bit of extra damage from bosses is a great way to pump out the dps. It's also a great way to die to something stupid, so make sure you're mitigating well and make sure you have some way to track those external cds so you know when you're safe and when they've fallen off.

I also use an addon called Vengeance Status. It's just a nice little bar that fills up and shows my current Vengeance levels. Nice to know when it drops off so you can intervene someone or whether your Shield Barrier is going to be strong enough or not on Nazgrim when you just taunted in and he's casting Execute.
    Last edited by Enpoli; 2014-07-13 at 12:37 AM.

Well we finally downed him! Using avatar definitely put me at ease for the first shredder and I personally think is what helped for the kill. Im sure as I become more experienced with the fight as we get it to farm in the next few weeks that I may switch over to storm bolt or blood bath with dragon roar. Man what a feeling; being a super new tank I feel that this fight really proved to myself that I know how to manage my character in a hectic situation like this fight.

As for cheesing for increased DPS, we currently have a odd healing setup which includes two resto shamans and two priests- and two dps palys and another dps warr. For externals rotation this is what we did on our kill
    1,2 and 3 were basically shield block/barrier rotation from me
    4 was demoralizing and last stand (might have been overkill)
    5 was vig from the warrior
    6 was either pally cd or if they happened to be doing belts at that time Id use shield wall and anything else that was up
    7 was pain sup
    similar rotation was used for the other tank during his stacks with my vig at 5, 6 the other warriors vig +sac if pally was around
    8 was the other pain sup

What do you guys think was this overkill for CDs? could we have used them better? I'd like to know because towards the end of the fight in the heat of the moment I think the tank forgot to taunt when that last add came out so I basically killed it in 4 globals at 8 stacks and went kersplat when I got my 9th stack but I'd like to maybe use CDs so I can survive that next time

Anyways off to paragons tonight! Whooo!

Well you only use your best cd (shield wall) once. If you use it a few stacks earlier then it will be back up later. Same with those pain sups. I also think safeguard would be better than vigilance because of its shorter cd. You also have a few rallying cries and a cloak plus barrier and spirit link totem depending on when your healers are using those.

Either way, if you have the resto shaman health buff, a disc shield and a max barrier for every one, you'll find that you'll survive quite easily. Overkill is always better than death though so don't be afraid to keep asking for those CDs. A tank death after 50% when the hardest part of the fight is past is very demoralizing.

I actually used it twice in the logs but with the cd trinket I could deff use it wayyyy more in a 6 minute fight (our time for the first kill).

question about paragons- From my few kills on normal it was to my understanding that Sblock was the only thing that would work for injection with Rikkal. Last night on our pulls both Sbar and Sblock were preventing injection which got kinda messy at one point with people dying due to no parasites. Am I just supposed to take the melee damage to the face when i'm trying to let a injection through? I mean I was able to have healers keep me up with doing just that (taking it to the face) but I'd rather not be so taxing on the healers so early on in the fight. What do you guys recommend?

Yes, both Block and Barrier will prevent Injection from going through. I made a cancelaura macro I could pop at the last second, in case I screwed up and hit some mitigation out of habit. Boss damage from Rikkal is pretty insignificant so a few seconds without mitigation won't kill ya.

Another interesting note about the Injection mechanic: If you take consecutive stacks of Injection, then your debuff will refresh and you won't spawn any parasites. The debuff starts to really hurt when it stacks higher than 2 or 3. This can be good if you accidentally let one through but you don't mean to spawn parasites for a little while. It can also be done if you don't want to release any more parasites at all. If your debuff falls off after Rikkal is dead, you will not spawn any parasites. Just a nice little trick to help you recover if a Shield Barrier gets used up slightly to quickly or w/e the case may be.

Also, Avatar carries over into the scorpion transformation. If you want to pull some crazy numbers, hold Karoz while you're in the scorpion and just rotate externals to stay alive. Juggernaut trinket is really strong too for the healing effect. I usually do about 100M to Xaril, and we can push him with only 1 Activate Catalyst going out.

Quote Originally Posted by Enpoli View Post
    Yes, both Block and Barrier will prevent Injection from going through. I made a cancelaura macro I could pop at the last second, in case I screwed up and hit some mitigation out of habit. Boss damage from Rikkal is pretty insignificant so a few seconds without mitigation won't kill ya.

Another interesting note about the Injection mechanic: If you take consecutive stacks of Injection, then your debuff will refresh and you won't spawn any parasites. The debuff starts to really hurt when it stacks higher than 2 or 3. This can be good if you accidentally let one through but you don't mean to spawn parasites for a little while. It can also be done if you don't want to release any more parasites at all. If your debuff falls off after Rikkal is dead, you will not spawn any parasites. Just a nice little trick to help you recover if a Shield Barrier gets used up slightly to quickly or w/e the case may be.

Also, Avatar carries over into the scorpion transformation. If you want to pull some crazy numbers, hold Karoz while you're in the scorpion and just rotate externals to stay alive. Juggernaut trinket is really strong too for the healing effect. I usually do about 100M to Xaril, and we can push him with only 1 Activate Catalyst going out.
    Great info! thank you for the tip about the stacks. Took a few pulls for us to figure out timing of injections to let through and if we needed a 3rd one before the burn but it looks like two injections worked! Knowing barrier works to prevent injection is actually a awesome thing to know. I was watching that timer like a hawk to make sure i had a Shield block charge 1-2 seconds before injection lol. Baby sized barriers will make that less stressful for sure

also I don't get the joy to get the scorpion buff- our RLis a 585 blood DK so he calls the shots :P Hopefully ill get to try it at some point. Is the cool down on it relatively short? I think he had been using it while on korven but not 100% sure.

2 Minute cd on the Scorpion. You can use it on Korven (after Amber) and it will be back up for Xaril (or soon after he comes down). Just make sure whichever tank is using the Scorpion has Salvs on him or is intended to be holding aggro. There's no way to hold aggro off someone in a tank stance and pulling ~5M burst dps.
    Last edited by Enpoli; 2014-07-16 at 08:44 AM.

Ok new question for y'all

So our main tank is generally a BM monk but swaps to his DK for siege and paragons (i guess he's more comfortable with it on those fights). My question pertains is the other night we tried using his monk for siege crafter and I had a few issues.

Now throughout my time raiding with them I have had the most difficult time when tanking with his BM. I don't really care about AOE threat on trash (which is when its most apparent other than galakras) but I do care when he is able to get so much vengeance that he is able to rip BOSS threat right off of me.

Our issue on siege crafter was him pulling boss threat which is probably the worst fight he can do that on. Weird thing is I don't really have threat issues with him on any other single target fight. Not 100% sure what he is doing off the bat but I know he's using rushing jade wind which is like his most used damage attack on logs. I basically charge in, shield slam revenge devastate devastate TC and so on as my opening rotation, but he is able to rip threat right as I get my first stack it seems like.

I really think RJW is the main culprit and i know he's probably using it for helping on mines but is there anything I can do to maximize my threat on bosses like this? or does he just need to chill out? Im trying to find some logs that would better show what both of us are doing at pull but can't seem to find any from the other night when he used his monk for siege

let me know your thoughts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanorala View Post
    Ok new question for y'all

So our main tank is generally a BM monk but swaps to his DK for siege and paragons (i guess he's more comfortable with it on those fights). My question pertains is the other night we tried using his monk for siege crafter and I had a few issues.

Now throughout my time raiding with them I have had the most difficult time when tanking with his BM. I don't really care about AOE threat on trash (which is when its most apparent other than galakras) but I do care when he is able to get so much vengeance that he is able to rip BOSS threat right off of me.

Our issue on siege crafter was him pulling boss threat which is probably the worst fight he can do that on. Weird thing is I don't really have threat issues with him on any other single target fight. Not 100% sure what he is doing off the bat but I know he's using rushing jade wind which is like his most used damage attack on logs. I basically charge in, shield slam revenge devastate devastate TC and so on as my opening rotation, but he is able to rip threat right as I get my first stack it seems like.

I really think RJW is the main culprit and i know he's probably using it for helping on mines but is there anything I can do to maximize my threat on bosses like this? or does he just need to chill out? Im trying to find some logs that would better show what both of us are doing at pull but can't seem to find any from the other night when he used his monk for siege

let me know your thoughts?
    Well I've only ever experienced this with moonkins on the pull. Logs would really help but my honest advice would be to just tell him to maybe go a little bit easier on the pull