Need some help rebuilding my pc

So long story short lost my pc to a power outtage 2 days ago and fans spin then die so. . . I am trying to build a new tower but trying to keep my graphics card with it. My current pc was unfortunately from 2006 and was a 32bit so I'll need some advice on making a 64bit computer aswell really dunno that much about building a pc. But neways my pc is down and I would appreciate some help on rebuilding a new one around the graphics card.
    Graphics card is a ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2
    Current power supply is a 550watt but i'm open to replacing it aswell.
    Only had 4g of RAM on it so looking to kick that up alot so open to suggestions there.
    Old motherboard was a ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Pretty sure it or the CPU got toasted in the outage.
    Old cpu was AMD Athlon II X4 640.
    And my hard drive is a 500g but i already got a 1TB 7200rpm with 64MB cache i could use if needed.

Deleted
    First of all, you should specify a budget. How much can you / are you willing to spend?

I could spend 500 to around a 1000 on it.

Deleted
    US Dollars? Pounds? Potatoes? Euro? Yuen? Rupees?

US dollars I really dunno how far potatoes would get me but now I must admit i'm curious.

Deleted
    Not very far

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...-Month-DLC-441 If you go to the "setup of the month" section and pick the parts you need, I think the Narwhal configuration is for you. Or maybe Dolphin, but the i5 CPU is something I would invest in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonicgnoll View Post
    Thank you for the help
    No problem. Sorry for not providing the links directly, but the setup of the month is always pretty solid and what I would start from anyway, plus the components certainly match.
    You can keep your GPU and I guess your power supply works as well. I'd recommend getting Mobo+CPU+ram.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also, if you go thru the computer upgrades subforum, you'll find a lot of other recommended builds that will give you ideas too.

If you 'lost' your old pc due to a power outage, any of the components would be suspect, especially the power supply.

I have a dell latitude laptop I'm trying to upgrade. When I turned it on it's asking for an OS disk does this mean I need to try to find out what OS it was previously, or can I use any OS to get it running again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the build/upgrade subforum!
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by LexZate View Post
    I have a dell latitude laptop I'm trying to upgrade. When I turned it on it's asking for an OS disk does this mean I need to try to find out what OS it was previously, or can I use any OS to get it running again?
    If it's asking for a boot disk, and there's a hard drive in there with an OS on it, it either can't find it, or the OS got corrupted somehow.

Alright got a new motherboard/cpu/heatsink and I am trying to start it up again and it blue screens me at the logo and loading bar straight before the bar can move.
    ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 For the new motherboard
    Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache For the new CPU
    Still using ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2 for Graphics Card
    Along with the 550 Powersupply
    and only 4G of RAM atm along with the 32bit OS

Was able to toss the newer hard drive into the system along with it having 64bit which allowed it to install the windows 8 with 64 bit went straight thro start up and got to the desktop without problems. But whenever i attempt to use my old 32bit hard drive or my brother 64bit hard drive same crash point. It will let me get to the BIOS still tho.

Would appreciate any help in this problem shooting. i havn't altered anything on bios yet either tho.

Deleted
    Does that old hard drive of yours got your old o/s in it? if so, that could be the problem, tho it should have asked you which o/s you want to boot. I would make sure your new hdd is 1st on boot priority into the bios and go from there.

You should note that when you get a new mobo you need a new o/s install, sometimes you may get away with it but generally the o/s is somewhat tied to mobo so new mobo means fresh o/s install.

Basically I got 3 hard drives
    Old one thats Vista 32 Bit
    Brothers one thats Windows 7 64bit
    And brand new one that i put Windows 8 64bit on with the pc after putting it back together.
    Havn't tried to alter them besides just installing the vista 8 onto the new hard drive.
    atm i'm fighting with the cd the motherboard came with but its just sending me to a comand prompt install or something. I am thinking the device drivers are on it but dunno.

It lets the pc do a system repair just fine. Along with a memory test just fine but it will blue screen on safe mode.

Deleted
    As i said, new mobo means doing a fresh windows install on the drive.

So what i would do is: Go to bios set 1st boot priority to your new hard drive that got the new o/s that got installed with your new mobo. You should be able to boot into 8 with it, even if you have the older drive connected. Backup what you need from the old if you have to then format it to be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicgnoll View Post
    Basically I got 3 hard drives
    Old one thats Vista 32 Bit
    Brothers one thats Windows 7 64bit
    And brand new one that i put Windows 8 64bit on with the pc after putting it back together.
    Havn't tried to alter them besides just installing the vista 8 onto the new hard drive.
    atm i'm fighting with the cd the motherboard came with but its just sending me to a comand prompt install or something. I am thinking the device drivers are on it but dunno.

It lets the pc do a system repair just fine. Along with a memory test just fine but it will blue screen on safe mode.
    Vista 8? Lol.

I don't know what you're doing, but if you didn't do a completely fresh install, format the drive you're using as the main drive. After that, only have that one plugged in, start up, and install Windows 8. After that, you can connect whatever other hard drives you want and use it for storage, just go to your BIOS, find your boot priority, and remove every other hard drive but the main one with Windows 8 on it. Simple, you shouldn't have any problems.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Id suggest the latest i3 or the new pentium thats unlocked on a LGA1150 motherboard. If later you want to upgrade you can throw in a i7 cpu.

Try it without a graphics card first. Haswell does work pretty well if your on a budget. The pentium needs to be overclocked to take advantage of it, otherwise stick with the i3.

If you want it to boot up fast and feel fast and responsive try a SSD with a secondary hard drive.

go with 8GB ram if you want it it to last for awhile or do a 4 with another 4 later for an upgrade.

If you want some decent sound for a budget price try using an asus xonar sound card.

Dont skimp on the power supply... get a certified 80; plenty of sells on those.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Id suggest the latest i3 or the new pentium thats unlocked on a LGA1150 motherboard. If later you want to upgrade you can throw in a i7 cpu.

Try it without a graphics card first. Haswell does work pretty well if your on a budget. The pentium needs to be overclocked to take advantage of it, otherwise stick with the i3.

If you want it to boot up fast and feel fast and responsive try a SSD with a secondary hard drive.

go with 8GB ram if you want it it to last for awhile or do a 4 with another 4 later for an upgrade.

If you want some decent sound for a budget price try using an asus xonar sound card.

Dont skimp on the power supply... get a certified 80; plenty of sells on those.
    He already bought his parts...

OP, did you install windows 8 on the new drive with your new setup all put together?
    If yes, do you have all three of these hard drives in your rig or just the new one?
    if the former, go to your BIOS menu and make sure the new drive is set up as the boot priority number one. The windows 8 with the fresh install is the only one that has a chance to work.

Alright with a fresh night o sleep finally managed to set the boot priority up and get it all online with the new hard drive as first priority and old one there as a storage. Thanks a bunch, was having quite a headache yesterday nice to have it up and running again.