First impressions on combat

Hi all!

So I only played a very limited number of dota games back in WC3, and never played LoL, but was hyped about HotS and when I got my alpha invite I jumped straight in. Mind you I dont have a lot of experience on these 'hero' type games.

So I've done a couple of matches now and got up to lvl 7 using tychus and tyrael, and every time it seems that combat occurs mostly running back and forth between your tower range and your enemies, baiting them into fire range and pushing after them to finish them off when they are low, only to run back to your fort if you are getting low yourself.

The only times where I could encounter some "pvp" was inside the mines in the pirate ship/golem map, and then there is a lot of kiting around if someone gets low it seems pretty hard to finish them off unless you have a stun (high lvl tyrael charge stun helps here).

Do I have the wrong expectations about combat? Should I choose different heroes in order to have a better experience?
    What do you guys feel about how pvp and kiting works?

cheers

Sounds like you are just playing wrong. This game is all about teamplay, it is designed in a way that will make it really hard to kill someone 1v1, because anyone can just ran away usually. If you just sit on your lane all game long without trying to group up and kill other hereos, then no wonder it feels like there is no pvp for you. I got into alpha two days ago and I noticed that a lot of players do that (sit on their lane without trying to go for other hereos, merc camps, etc.) and usually team that has more of those loses.