Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Survivals Final Button: WOD Cooldown

All three specializations will have a cooldown in WoD. Bestial Wrath for Beast Mastery, Rapid Fire for Marksmanship, and a to-be-determined ability for Survival.

Rapid Fire was axed from Survival in favour of Marksmanship, and Bear Trap was axed after the removal of Readiness. A few changes to the way the specs play have been added, most notably the attack power of Focus Fire, multistrike Lock and Loads and the mastery Sniper Training. Survivals cooldown, though, has had no new iterations.

They are still planning one: https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...54276075012096

Which means now is a good time to give them some ideas!

Since we're still so early in the beta, I'm making this thread here for more people to have access to. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas for a cooldown you'd like to see incorporated for Survival. Consider Survivals current iteration on the beta, where it is heavily influenced by multistrike and the Lock and Load proc does not instantly reset the cooldown of Explosive Shot. You don't have to spin your idea in this way, but it's good to keep in mind that - while some of us may not like it - they do seem to be viewing Survival as a sustained magical DoT class.
    If possible, try not to discuss one particular idea too much just because you dislike it or it's bad for X, Y, Z reason. Chances are if that's true, Blizzard knows it too.

For example, here's one I posted on the beta forums. I like the new explosive trap, but if it isn't tuned well for the GCD I feared it'd have its same fate on live: "When do I use this?" "Pretty much never." So I decided it might have better luck as a cooldown for one specialization, then a never-niche for all:
    Axe explosive trap. Re-add it to survival on a 1 to 3 minute CD. Allow it to multistrike, provide a damage increase to multistrikes, and increase magical damage done from the hunter. If undetonated, explodes in a 30 yard radius after using explosive shot.
    The obvious issue with traps is missing. I'd be interesting as a skill challenge, but frustrating as a cooldown, even with an extra detonation three times the normal size. So here's a second, more simple idea:
    Explosive Round - also a 1 to 3 minute cooldown. For 10s, the cost of Explosive Shot is 5 focus and it triggers no cooldown.

Go from here, friends. Make a collage of really cool and really bad hunter cooldown ideas.

Ah, being an armchair designer. My favorite thing!

I posted these in the thread you referenced on the official forums:

- Loaded for Bear: Consumes all of your LnL charges, causing your next Explosive Shot to deal the combined damage of all consumed charges to the primary target and to all targets within 8 yards (needs mini mushroom cloud graphic for full effect).

- Locked and Loaded: Instantly adds 5 Lock and Load charges (I'm sure you can picture the sound effect for this one!)

- Mamba Bite: Infuses your shots with a fast-acting venom. For the next 15 sec, your Multi-Shots and Arcane Shots apply fast-acting venom, which deals 100% Serpent Sting damage over 5 seconds (aka SrS tick every 1 sec instead of every 3 sec) (should summon snake trap snakes at the target's feet just for fun)

- Imminent Doom (passive): Targets below 20% health suffer from your damage over time effects at 3 times the normal rate.

I swear half of the fun for me is coming up with these names
    Last edited by BendakWoW; 2014-07-05 at 06:03 PM.

I'd like to see something that debuffs the target causing them to take more magic damage for some period of time which would synergize with mastery.

~Target takes 30% increased magic damage from the Hunter for 15 seconds

A pretty basic concept but could be done more creatively.

Quote Originally Posted by BendakWoW View Post
    Ah, being an armchair designer. My favorite thing!

I posted these in the thread you referenced on the official forums:

- Loaded for Bear: Consumes all of your LnL charges, causing your next Explosive Shot to deal the combined damage of all consumed charges to the primary target and to all targets within 8 yards (needs mini mushroom cloud graphic for full effect).

- Locked and Loaded: Instantly adds 5 Lock and Load charges (I'm sure you can picture the sound effect for this one!)

- Mamba Bite: Infuses your shots with a fast-acting venom. For the next 15 sec, your Multi-Shots and Arcane Shots apply fast-acting venom, which deals 100% Serpent Sting damage over 5 seconds (aka SrS tick every 1 sec instead of every 3 sec) (should summon snake trap snakes at the target's feet just for fun)

I swear half of the fun for me is coming up with these names
    i can hear a dwarf yelling in the background. (locked and loaded) with irish accent or somthing
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

I'm more concerned about the utility they promised for hunters that's still being determined. Hope to hear some sort of feedback on that subject soon.

Deleted
    Not gonna lie, I really really like your idea with explosive trap. Sounds cool.

Deleted
    No more super traps please
    I like Lock and Loaded conception Should be with 1-2 mins CD adds 5 charges of LoL and makes explosive shot free and without cd for next 10 seconds

I could dig loaded for bear. make it hit as hard as it does in diablo and I will be happy

I would like something like this : While this ability remains black arrow and serpent sting cannot be dispelled.(the three abilities that change deal 20% more damage) in addition explosive shot turns into blazing shot , serpent sting into taipan sting (taipan is the most venomous snake) and black arrow turns into octopus venom

Quote Originally Posted by BendakWoW View Post

- Imminent Doom (passive): Targets below 20% health suffer from your damage over time effects at 3 times the normal rate.
    I loved all of your ideas, mainly the Loaded for Bear and Locked and Loaded, these would make the spec interesting by adding some spike to our damage.

My Suggestion would be to add a skill that puts a undispellable debuff on the target, after some time, it'll explode, dealing damage equal to some percentage of the damage you did to the enemy during that time. The damage dealt could be over time too, like 3 to 5 secs, to keep the spec flavor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cd Name: The Rambo Within
    Effect: All attacks are granted a 3% chance to kill a target that would not otherwise be killed by said attack
    Duration / Cooldown: 8 sec / 2 min

So we chain reset till I one shot the boss?
    Retired hunter

3% chance, that's statistically once every 33 attempts, pretty good for a heroic boss.

I'm pretty sure no one would bench us ever again, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm a really boring Hunter. I'm perfectly happy just retaining Rapid Fire, even if it is a boring do-nothing of a cooldown.

Alternatively, something along the lines of Chi Brew for monks would be sweet.

<Name Here>
    1min CD
    Grants 25 Focus and 3 charges of Lock and Load.

Or, playing off our Multistrike theme:

<Name Here>
    2min CD
    Gives all of your attacks an additional 25% chance to multistrike for the next 15-20 seconds.

How about Survival just gets Readiness back. It will be able to reset talents and abilities. Will be great for PVP as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockymonkey View Post
    How about Survival just gets Readiness back. It will be able to reset talents and abilities. Will be great for PVP as well.
    Readiness is a horribly designed ability that causes unnecessary complexity in PvE and balance issues in PvP. I NEVER want to do a BM Readiness opener again. That shit was ridiculous.

Deleted
    I think a massive multistrike bonus for a short duration or increased amount of DoT ticks would fit the spec quite well. But since we are all throwing ideas out here I would quite like something in the lines of a delayed bomb. Maybe a minor damage over time with a big explosion or cluster bombs at the end. The idea of using something ahead in time and make it trigger just as a target takes increased damage or when you combine it with an on-use trinket or potion sounds fun to me.

Should get something like my Resto Druid has in his ability called Genesis.

Idk if you guys are familiar with it, but when activated, it makes Rejuv on all targets expire like 300% faster or something, has no CD, but costs mana.

It could be an ability that makes all DoTs from the Hunter expire 300% faster, giving us even higher quick AoE bursts (or single target, too)

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of Locked and Loaded. Giving some LnL charges on demand would be nice.

Deleted
    Before even considering an additionnal button for SV, the dev's should first solve the issue with the Lock'n'Load proc and with BA getting easily dispelled (and therefore with the 4-PC PVP bonus aswell).