Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What would you want from World of Warcraft 2

Lets say Blizzard decided to do a true sequel to World of Warcraft and built a new engine from scratch. Maybe they even released Warcraft 4 to move the timeline and change the world drastically. What would you want from a completely new game. I'll list my top 3.

Larger zones
    I want to be able to get lost in the forests of Ashenvale for days before I find my way out. Imagine a Stormwind the size of Liberty City is GTA IV

Better looting system
    If I kill a wolf he shouldn't be keeping boots in his stomach. Let crafters create the basic gear we need and allow us to explore and find reagents to increase there usefulness. The whole idea of a boss dropping items he is obviously not carrying is silly.

Physics Engine
    I'd like the idea that if I get hit by a large create I don't always have the same animation after I get hit. If I get hit into a tree I should come off it at a angle. Make the game more dynamic and fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    larger zones: even then you will find the way, trust me.

OT: I don't want a WoW 2, i want WoW if not i want something else, not a second WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

An engine that doesn't suck balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Larger zones
    I want to be able to get lost in the forests of Ashenvale for days before I find my way out. Imagine a Stormwind the size of Liberty City is GTA IV
    You do realize that even though Liberty City is huge, it's not overly 'unique'? The artists made assets, than had a computer toss together the assets according to a drawn out layout of their city procedural. That's why every other building you see is the exact same. Sure; it's big, but it doesn't look nice.

WoW cities are made by hand to look 'unique' rather than procedurally created just for hugeness sake. But yes; larger cities would be nice. But...would cost us a raid tier.

Better looting system
    If I kill a wolf he shouldn't be keeping boots in his stomach. Let crafters create the basic gear we need and allow us to explore and find reagents to increase there usefulness. The whole idea of a boss dropping items he is obviously not carrying is silly.
    Lol. WoW is a Dungeons and Dragons game. Mobs have always been dropping stuff they shouldn't be carrying. Why? Just because.

Physics Engine
    I'd like the idea that if I get hit by a large create I don't always have the same animation after I get hit. If I get hit into a tree I should come off it at a angle. Make the game more dynamic and fun.
    Would be very nice; but D&D based games have for the most part avoided this because it would cause serious mechanic problems with almost every other aspect of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    An engine that doesn't suck balls.
    You do realize that Heroes of the Storm, which is one of the nicest looking games I've seen, uses the EXACT same engine as WoW and WC3? Yep. Same engine, just modified. All Blizzard needs to do is add those modification's to WoW's version, but the sheer amount of work that would entail would likely cost us an entire expansion.

-Larger zones and cities so servers can have like 10x the populations they have now.
    -Better graphics
    -Surprise events ala SWTOR

Pretty much it besides faster development

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Newgate View Post
    larger zones: even then you will find the way, trust me.

OT: I don't want a WoW 2, i want WoW if not i want something else, not a second WoW.
    This. We already had WoW 2. It was called the Burning Crusade. We are one WoW 5 right now, with 6 coming out this year. Why create a completely new game when we can just expand upon the ones we already have?

Deleted
    Surprise events that randomly pop up and are not possible to be looked up on the internet or anywhere else, would be amazing

should happen frequently, but not too frequently either.

edit: oh and it would be amazing if it could happen back in time, before the third war

Quote Originally Posted by hoofton View Post
    -Surprise events ala SWTOR

Pretty much it besides faster development
    1. You mean, dynamic events? Like in GW2? No. Those aren't dynamic at all; there are just flat out scripted events on a timer that have prescripted conditionals that just change the situation as the script says to. A real dynamic event would be more like KCD's events, but for Blizzard to implement those that would cost us a raid tier.

2. Faster development? WoW already has a dedicated team of one thousand people. More people doesn't, in fact, mean faster development.

GW2's bi-weekly updates are nice, but they aren't anything noteworthy or lasting like WoW's tier patches. Which would you rather have: 4 hours of unmemorable content every other week, or 100+ hours of lasting, tasteful content every three months?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    GW2's bi-weekly updates are nice, but they aren't anything noteworthy or lasting like WoW's tier patches. Which would you rather have: 4 hours of unmemorable content every other week, or 100+ hours of lasting, tasteful content every three months?
    or wows model, which is 50+ hours of lasting content every year

Competent devs
    Chronomancer Club

You do realize that Heroes of the Storm, which is one of the nicest looking games I've seen, uses the EXACT same engine as WoW and WC3? Yep. Same engine, just modified. All Blizzard needs to do is add those modification's to WoW's version, but the sheer amount of work that would entail would likely cost us an entire expansion.
    Actually, it uses the SC2 engine, try not to sound like a smartass next time you bring wrong facts.

Let's see:

-built to scale
    -leveling gives variety, but not power
    -all zones remain useful throughout game
    -less focus on novelty gags
    -canon story
    -separate and parallel to WoW1
    -characters never leave the game, but have some npc scripting for when the player is unavailable
    -no more old school auto attack and hard targeting
    -story line progress, resetting the story when the content is over. Essentially giving players all the old content to play through while new stuff is being developed.
    -some serious material quality improvements. Glossy metals, light absorbing cloth.
    -flexible politics and zone ownership by factions.
    -and tons of other things to move away from the awkward feeling of stability that WoW gives.

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    Actually, it uses the SC2 engine, try not to sound like a smartass next time you bring wrong facts.
    Which is a heavily modified version of the WC3 code.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    -Massive zones
    -less focus on raiding
    -more focus questing/exploring/events
    -no cash shop shit
    -much more interactive factions(think covenants from dark souls)
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Gearless PvP, and better class balance (more limited CC and no healers.)

They need better social tools, or at least reverse the antisocial changes they implemented into WoW since burning crusade was released.

1. Rip dungeon finder from the game.
    2. Rip LFR from the game.
    3. Implement global LFG chat channel again.

What keeps players playing is the social network. If people are FORCED to talk to people to form groups, and are immersed in conversation in global LFG, that increases the odds of people forming in-game friendships. The friendships will, in turn, keep people logging in and playing and spending $15 / month.

When you install all of these antisocial "features", it makes it VASTLY easier for people to log in, run a 5 man or raid, and never talk to anyone. And THAT, in turn, makes it easier to hit the "cancel sub" button because you don't know anyone in the game to keep you there.

I know there will be crying from people who want to be completely antisocial and play wow, but f em. If they followed those 3 steps as I laid out, I bet subs begin to rise again.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2014-07-06 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Let's see:

-built to scale
    -leveling gives variety, but not power
    -all zones remain useful throughout game
    -less focus on novelty gags
    -canon story
    -separate and parallel to WoW1
    -characters never leave the game, but have some npc scripting for when the player is unavailable
    -no more old school auto attack and hard targeting
    -story line progress, resetting the story when the content is over. Essentially giving players all the old content to play through while new stuff is being developed.
    -some serious material quality improvements. Glossy metals, light absorbing cloth.
    -flexible politics and zone ownership by factions.
    -and tons of other things to move away from the awkward feeling of stability that WoW gives.
    a lot of these are just not feasible without making it more of a niche game.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    a lot of these are just not feasible without making it more of a niche game.
    I think it would be the best sort of game to supplement the warcraft universe. If the game wasn't planned as a replacement to WoW, it would be free to do something entirely different from what WoW does.

I'm not sure if it would be really niche though, it's more or less an episodic version of an open world game; a type of game that's enjoyed enormous popularity.

Level
    First of all, I think there needs something be done with the levels. Maybe cut them in half, don't know if some people want to level to 110. 55 sounds much more better. Helps with the „15 levels for new skillpoint“ problem.
    Also I think the game would benefit from a system to scale down the level. Taking Guild Wars 2 as an example here; You enter an area or dungeon and your stats and level are downgraded to a certain degree to fit the level of the area or the dungeon. Think that should be an option, at least in dungeons to solo content. Outside, it should not be an option in my opinion, no ganking, and you could help and level with friends playing a new toon and not steamroll the area.

Questing
    Following the downgrading I would like to see the dynamic questing system of Guild Wars 2. But, I want the railroad questing of wow to be there, too. So you would have the areas of interest and the dynamic eventus of GW2 and the known questing of wow. Add Vistas, and maybe some kind of task, and have a lootbag when you complete all tasks on the map (area) as in GW2.

Having an option to create your own quest, maybe in a scenario environment would be great, player generated content would help fresh up the game in some ways.

Character
    More options. The new models are a great start, and I cant wait to see the final product. I would also like to see more options. Height, weight, bodysize, muscle, tattoos, piercings, scars, choose eyecolour, choose nose and ears, more hairstyles. A fat troll, or a skinny orc warlock would be nice to see.
    Also subraces. I will only give small examples, there are great threads in the forum; Mag'Har orcs, Taunka, undead trolls, bloodelves and even real humans ("zombie" humans as forsaken) broken draenai, and so on.
    Just to mention it: It would be awesome to have Ogre for Horde, two heads for mana users. Dryards for Alliance; able to become their own mount (worgenstyle) but also to be able to let someone ride on their back (druid travel form). Should be possible, and would be something unique (at least i havent seen a game where you can play a zentaur of dryard) Would also make some sense lorewise.

Think we all agree on a new graphic.
    I personally would like to see a more grown up wow, not for 12 year olds. But I guess that would not happen.

Companion
    As in SWTOR have companions you can choose and have a unique story with them. Maybe love interests, or adopting an orphan to raise as your child. A brother? Maybe even create the followers look and name.
    That said, give options to create a family tree, not just with your own toons, but with other players if they agree

3 rd Character Spec.
    Not on the fly, but available at the teacher, to not have to readjust your bars and skills all the time.

PvP
    In my opinion they should separate pvp from pve. Just do it. Create PvP Levels, with perks. If you are in a pve situation (dungeon, raid, szenario etc) your pvp skills wont work, you do not wear pvp gear.
    As soon as you enter a pvp situation your gear ist changed to pvp (automatically) and your bars swap to pvp skills. Not sure how that will work in open areas, but if you give everyone a standard pvp gear to start with that could work.
    Also, enter a battleground and you are raised to max level, stats are upgraded. More people to pvp.

PvP Capitals. Create Capitals to be pvp areas. Bosses to be killed and defended. Remember Warhammer online? Have some areas around to be conquered to unlock the possibility to raid the city.
    PvP Guild citys. As in Age of Conan, a real Guild Siege, defend.

Guilds
    Just bring more stuff. Guild Fortresses or stuff like in Age of Conan. Or let us take special areas (crossroads for example) let us have a szenario (as the ones on isle of thunder) to get peons to our claim. Defend them, let them build and farm, protect them. Get guards there, a hunter, a cook, towsfolk upgrade the town and so on.
    Every guild member can play the szenarios to see how everything is build up. If you log of, your character will appear in the guild city, If you are a blacksmith your character will be at the anvil or forge. Other guildmember can let this „you“ npc craft something they need (takes longer, so wait till you come online or wait till it is done by npc)
    The more the city grows, the more perks your guild gets (guild weapons, flags, tattoos). Professions unlock new guild flavoured stuff.
    At last you can start a phased guild raid, the fortress is attacked, you fight against some waves and then a final boss appears.
    Later on, npcs will appear and join you to fullfill your city with live.
    If it is possible to take a real city (crossroads) and reinforce it, other players could benefit from guild buffs, and even the „you“ npcs. Problem with cross realm zones.

If you are in a guild, let you choose if your alt is also in the guild, just by let you join by a click. Game should see, that it is you, so there would be a notification for others to know that it is you.

Horde Mode
    Have a proving grounds for a group.

Dungeons
    If it is possible to downgrade to a certain level, ALL dungeons in wow could be in LFG. Just adjust the loot to fit your real level und you can play every dungeon as it is supossed to be.

Animations.
    Add more of them, fighting, running, stuff like that.

not demanding, just suggesting. There are a great deal of great things in wow and other mmos, I just wish, that wow would use some of my mentioned ones, wow is my favorite franchise, I would like to see it grow another 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Which is a heavily modified version of the WC3 code.
    How do you know?