Thread: Duped items

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I've seen a lot of people claim that items were duped but I've yet to actually see proof of duping. I mean I've seen YouTube scam videos, but I've never actually seen proof of duping.
    Well, there's no way of telling a item is a dupe in the normal in-game client, so you most likely will never see proof of duping. And anyone doing it will definitely not post a howto on YouTube, they RMT the gold they earn.

Certain TCG pets used to be a good deal, but even that has dried up, there will be a new wave as the new expac hits with new exclusive items (and most likely new bugs to exploit), it always works better early on after releases - Blizzard is good at fixing bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a huge, huge issue. Since the problem has remained for years now, I've both capitalized on it and suffered from it. I've bought "cheap" items and resold. I've also bought legit to resell (180k on Soul Trader) only to get fucked by dupers. No idea why they can't get rid of this problem but I really wish they'd focus all their time and resources on it at some point.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I've seen a lot of people claim that items were duped but I've yet to actually see proof of duping. I mean I've seen YouTube scam videos, but I've never actually seen proof of duping.
    You probably won't unless you either attempt to find instructions on how to do so or happen to accidentally come across one of the various methods of doing so by accident and actually notice that it happened. You should be able to determine that their is something off with prices of certain items on the AH though, and infer from this that there is a duping problem. However, if you are both unwilling to research the topic and averse to inference, then you can't be expected to see evidence of it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    You probably won't unless you either attempt to find instructions on how to do so or happen to accidentally come across one of the various methods of doing so by accident and actually notice that it happened. You should be able to determine that their is something off with prices of certain items on the AH though, and infer from this that there is a duping problem. However, if you are both unwilling to research the topic and averse to inference, then you can't be expected to see evidence of it.
    That was cute. I approve. I'm not stranger to some of the seedier corners of the internet as far as gaming goes. I've seen plenty of things in relation to duping items in other games but I have never seen anything in aforementioned seedy corners to indicate that duping in WoW is a thing. Yes I've seen gems and raid crafting mats on the AH for prices far below normal and I've seen the claims of duping with no proof ever since the days of the 10k crimson deathchargers. One shouldn't just assume there is a duping problem. There could be, but I'd think that I'd have seen some credible mention of it by now. It's not really even rational to assume that there is a duping problem because if there has been a duping problem for that long and Blizzard hasn't fixed it then that is quite honestly the biggest case of gross incompetence in the history of online games by far.

7+ Year Old Account
    That was cute. I approve. I'm not stranger to some of the seedier corners of the internet as far as gaming goes. I've seen plenty of things in relation to duping items in other games but I have never seen anything in aforementioned seedy corners to indicate that duping in WoW is a thing. Yes I've seen gems and raid crafting mats on the AH for prices far below normal and I've seen the claims of duping with no proof ever since the days of the 10k crimson deathchargers. One shouldn't just assume there is a duping problem. There could be, but I'd think that I'd have seen some credible mention of it by now. It's not really even rational to assume that there is a duping problem because if there has been a duping problem for that long and Blizzard hasn't fixed it then that is quite honestly the biggest case of gross incompetence in the history of online games by far.
    Generally, things being sold extremely cheap is because of this. Account gets hacked. Account has a ton of stuff and access to a guild bank with even more stuff. Hacker takes everything and sells it cheap to get gold as quickly as possible. Sometimes if the account has enough geared high lvl characters they will bot to get even more. Then they spam gold selling ads until the account gets locked. This happens a lot more than people realize.

As far as the "duping" people claim is happening, it's nothing but a big urban legend. It hasn't ever happened in that way. All of the "videos" claiming to show how to do it and the "tools" claiming to let you do it are in fact scams that will install malware and give away your account information. Hackers encourage people to think "duping" is real though, because it diverts attention from what they're really doing and gives them a bit more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    As far as the "duping" people claim is happening, it's nothing but a big urban legend. It hasn't ever happened in that way. All of the "videos" claiming to show how to do it and the "tools" claiming to let you do it are in fact scams that will install malware and give away your account information. Hackers encourage people to think "duping" is real though, because it diverts attention from what they're really doing and gives them a bit more time.
    There have historically been varied and numerous methods of varying effectiveness allowing the creation of "crafted" items (basically, any item that is created by a user action) without the required materials, or without consuming the required materials. The behavior surrounding disconnects, and oddball methods to force disconnects, is usually at the root of these things. So while it is generally true that there is not a way to "dupe" an item, there is sometimes a way to make more than one (sometimes an indefinitely large number) from the materials required for one.

Blizzard monitors accounts for unusual behavior related to crafting as well as inventories containing oddball/inconsistent items, et cetera. If you find one of these bugs that hasn't been hotfixed, and exploit it, you will very likely be banned with no appeal. A large banwave went out in early January 2013 when a DC-related exploit became public and a bunch of fools jumped on the Darkmoon Card bandwagon. Want to read an epic thread about it? Google for "using up the inks but keeping the scrolls".