Thread: Hard Boomerang

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Welcome fellow Thief!

They have one of the most fun playstyles of any class in any MMO I've played. I change between Sword/Dagger and Sword/Pistol depending on my mood and what I'm fighting. Love dashing in and out and ruining someone's day. The only thing I can't seem to 1v1 consistently is Engineers who stand in one spot spamming bombs. It's easier to just run away and find an Ele to destroy..

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Dagger/Pistol with a switch-off to Short-bow.

High burst build revolving around Steal. Relatively typical I think of higher end Thief PvP'ers. It transitions pretty well over to PvE though due to the blinds/dazes/stealths, so I actually run the exact same build in PvP and PvE. That way I get more comfortable with it.
    Hmm, that's my preferred weapon combos too, so I'm probably just abysmal at it.

Though part of it is probably where I put trait points, I can't even remember how I picked those.

My Thief is based on steal and stealth. Plus a little bit into endurance so I can dodge more.

It works out pretty well (sword/dagger main weapon combo, dual pistols as a secondary). It's pretty squishy compared to my warrior but it's not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    My Thief is based on steal and stealth. Plus a little bit into endurance so I can dodge more.

It works out pretty well (sword/dagger main weapon combo, dual pistols as a secondary). It's pretty squishy compared to my warrior but it's not too bad.
    I basically instantly die the moment I screw up once.

But if you play it right, you can down people in a couple of seconds. The greatest challenge to me though is another Thief with a more stealth/endurance build because I'm so squishy and you're easily avoiding a lot of that burst I can deliver.

Highly mobile glass cannon is exactly what I am. I might have to try a dagger Elementalist in the future if it translate well as some people say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Hmm, that's my preferred weapon combos too, so I'm probably just abysmal at it.

Though part of it is probably where I put trait points, I can't even remember how I picked those.
    Thief, especially this build, is usually considered high input high output.

Meaning it has a higher skill cap but rewards well for those that stick to it and master it.

However, that said, the best I advice I can give you is find a class you're comfortable with and enjoy. If you do NOT enjoy the Thief, don't force yourself to play it. There are several other classes and builds to try and you don't even need to level them to do so.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2014-07-17 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    However, that said, the best I advice I can give you is find a class you're comfortable with and enjoy. If you do NOT enjoy the Thief, don't force yourself to play it. There are several other classes and builds to try and you don't even need to level them to do so.
    Oh yea, I have a level 80 Ranger, Ele, and Necro I enjoy and I am leveling up a Guardian currently I had a lot of fun on my Thief when I first made her but after I got to around level 40 I started struggling. I'm not sure why, I can't think of anything that changes at that level which would cause me issues. The character itself amusses me though because she's a Blood Legion Char Thief who belongs to the Priory... Though Priory is probably a big reason I was struggling. I like to do the personal story (and Priory is the only one I don't have the banner for) but I REALLY REALLY dislike them

10+ Year Old Account
    I've found myself almost unable to play other MMOs after getting back in to GW2. Everything just feels too slow and rigid.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    I've found myself almost unable to play other MMOs after getting back in to GW2. Everything just feels too slow and rigid.
    I completely ruined you for other games

Don't recall what game it was I was playing recently, but found myself double-tapping at the arrow keys and thinking 'Why ain't I dodging this stupid shit?' :P

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Don't recall what game it was I was playing recently, but found myself double-tapping at the arrow keys and thinking 'Why ain't I dodging this stupid shit?' :P
    lol

I play multiple mmos (or used to, haven't really done that in a while now) and when I play the others I often try to dodge in those games.

I removed double tap for dodge, kept getting killed doing that in jumping puzzles.

lol

I play multiple mmos (or used to, haven't really done that in a while now) and when I play the others I often try to dodge in those games.

I removed double tap for dodge, kept getting killed doing that in jumping puzzles.
    Besides Urmaug's Haunt, only ones I've done are the ones required for map completion, so not as much a concern for me. Also, left-handed, arrow keys are more convenient.

While not the exact same circumstance, I'm finding myself wanting to keep playing GW2 this weekend despite having the ArcheAge beta (which I played last night and enjoyed quite a bit) and the free weekend for FFXIV that I've been meaning to go back and check out >.<

Deleted
    I lolled about the first few posts.

Gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I completely ruined you for other games
    I said almost!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    While not the exact same circumstance, I'm finding myself wanting to keep playing GW2 this weekend despite having the ArcheAge beta (which I played last night and enjoyed quite a bit) and the free weekend for FFXIV that I've been meaning to go back and check out >.<
    It feels like GW2 just has more to do. That's probably not the case, but I think the active nature of combat makes repeating content more enjoyable.

I'm also a big fan of the flexibility in equipment loadouts, and it doesn't feel like that option is available in most other MMOs.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

I'm also a big fan of the flexibility in equipment loadouts, and it doesn't feel like that option is available in most other MMOs.
    That's one of the more interesting aspects of the game, having a large portion of your abilities tied to your weapon set(s). Other games just make them stat items required to do your abilities which are independent of the weapons.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is funny and ironic. That said, since someone mentioned stealth thieves.... I was in WvW last night to start map completion there. I took one by surprise and essentially had them dead and then they disappeared. I dropped aoe ran away, did not see them again. Until 5 seconds later, completely healed to full, and somehow they had teleported to my location in that time. Then they one shot me. Wtf even happened. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty pissed b/c until they just vanished and hit the godmode button, I was owning them. What kinda of bullcrap abilities let you stealth for that long, heal to full, teleport, and one shot someone. That makes no sense.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    *snip*
    That sounds kinda...BS if they can do that to everyone 1v1. As a ranger I had nothing I can do. Granted I haven't really researched or attempted to PvP in GW2 since it first launched, so my experience is coming from other games, so I shouldn't be too fussed. I just couldn't believe that I was skillfully about to wreck them without getting touched, then it's like they pushed an I win button. The only thing I could have done differently is anything to prevent damage, but I had my usual weapons for PvE and didn't expect to get gibbed. I usually try and avoid PvP shenanigans...but it seems interesting in this game, if not just because I like the landscape.
    BAD WOLF

Rangers should be better equipped to deal with Thieves

In GW1 it was especially true, I used to laugh at Assassins (or any melee profession really) on my Ranger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    A lot of it comes down to your build and gear too. If you're running a PvE DPS build in full 'zerker gear well...you're in for a LOT of Downed State funtime.

Compare that to my Condi Necro which was almost entirely defensively built/geared and thieves were a bit of amusement at best.
    Well yeah...of course Im' zerker pve. That should own everything..right guys? haha...*crickets* That's why I said I shouldn't be fussed because I know I'm likely doing everything wrong, simply out of coming in to get waypoints and mess around. I just figured I'd ask since the topic was broached.
    BAD WOLF

Rangers should be better equipped to deal with Thieves

In GW1 it was especially true, I used to laugh at Assassins (or any melee profession really) on my Ranger.
    That's one thing I miss from GW1. The ability to use weird profession combos and create some nutty builds, like the old Touch Ranger and RaO Hammer Ranger. Though my favorite had to be Me/A IW Daggers. I'd love if they gave D/D to Mesmers and res'ed that concept in a way.