10+ Year Old Account

Tips for Rebooting a character?

Following a discussion with my primary RP partner about how we've really neglected our characters this expansion, we've both decided on rebooting our characters in an attempt to make them more interesting and playable. Both were created with the basic intention of being relatively 'normal' civilian people, but that ended up making them difficult to involve in their own plots and we both gradually migrated away from the characters to create new ones.

Any tips for writing an effective, interesting character? General tips for rebooting an established character?

As follows is her copy/pasted MRP description, but I don't have one for history. We can start here if you'd like to critique.

A slightly largeish human woman with bright (unnatural) red hair, usually kept tied back out of her eyes in a perky ponytail. Her eyes are a lovely spring green.

She is often well made up, wearing light lipstick and red on her nails. Often wears well-tailored dresses. Carries herself with an air of mixed nobility and carelessness, and generally speaks quite casually and friendly-ly.

Usually slings around a crossbow that looks only slightly too heavy for her, and genuinely struggles to wind it. The weapon has the telltale marks of nearly a decade of wear and love, Very little of the original piece remains, much of it being a hodgepodge of replaced parts by now.

Her adventuring/traveling equipment is a very light mithrhil mail and leather padding. The armor is, quite unlike the bow, kept in an utter mess with twisted and broken links, small tears and accumulating rust and grime. It clearly isn't as cared for and has seen heavy use.
    Brief, I think, but says a bit about her.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Realistically a reboot would mainly be in terms of backstory, unless you've got a reason to change their physical appearance. Some more detailed information on her personality (or your intended personality) might help a lot. That having been said I do have a question.

What does "largeish" mean? Tall? Muscled? Fat? Some combination of the three? You could probably do well to be more specific on her general figure.

As far as advice... don't be a Lordaeron survivor. One of the classical ones, anyway (gruff exterior, beard, eye patch, a desire to reclaim the homeland). As well, remember that characters have their limits and they should keep within those limits. That's more or less general RP / writing advice, but hey. Never hurts to repeat it. Some more specific "reboot" advice that I learned was keeping it grounded in the lore. Have the character participate (or know of) some events, but not all of them. Have them stick out in their own way, yet still be one of many.

One of my characters is a minor noble from Alterac who left to join the magi of the Kirin Tor in Dalaran and whose family was long dead before the Third War due to riots over Perenolde. That's a bit of a stretch in lore, but it's plausible. Another, who was rebooted actually, was another Dalaran mage. This time he was a high elf. Before, he stayed behind at Dalaran and was captured and forced into servitude of the Scourge (though kept alive). That turned out to not be plausible, so I had him leave with Jaina and the other survivors and become soul-crushingly depressed THAT way. Same outcome as before, but different means to get there. He's an interesting fellow because he's neutral to a fault. In fact, that fault is what landed him in the Violet Hold.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2014-07-17 at 08:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably. It makes a little more sense when you see the full MRP including her measurements-- basically that she's a little tall and has slight chub to her.

Yeah, I'll try to type out a history sometime, but it's late and I should maybe sleep and think on it myself some more.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.