Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Asus ROG PG278Q 2560x1440 144Hz TN panel G-sync module

Since the monitor that a lot of people wanted to see being the 1st 8bit 2560x1440 TN panel and 144Hz to boot with G-sync, a lot of gamers would love to see.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...ift_pg278q.htm

tl;dr format

Pros
    -Excellent default set up, like really good. Don't know if cause engineer sample or not.
    -2560x1440 and 144Hz obviously.
    -Inclusion of G-sync and Ultra low motion blur tech.
    -No back light flickering (presuming you don't use ULMB).
    -Low signal and pixel response time.
    -900-1000:1 contrast which is good for a TN panel.

Cons
    -TN panel viewing angle restriction.
    -DisplayPort only which is understandable being the only one with the bandwidth at the moment to support it.
    -G-sync and ULMB can not coincide together. Will explain a bit after.
    -$800 price tag.

Meh
    -Can't change monitor resolution. Some people care some don't, it has something to do with the G-sync module.
    -ULMB's brightness can be very low compared to Eizo's 240Hz tech, may or may not bother people.
    -Panel luminance is okay.
    -Not great for color critical work still because of the viewing angle and color shifts caused by it.

Now as I mentioned, G-sync and ULMB can't coincide because G-sync is doing a variable refresh rate and ULMB is a back light flicker to reduce motion blur. The function it has is meant to flicker in sync with the monitor refresh rate to reduce motion blur. G-sync being a variable refresh rate module disallows this because it can't stay in sync with ULMB.

I must say, seeing this review. Asus has done very well with this monitor compared to their others.

Question for people is.
    1. Price. Can you afford it.
    2. Do you have the hardware for it. This is the biggy, 2560x1440 AND 144Hz is a lot to demand out of your system and not a lot of configurations allow that on more graphically demanding games.
    3. Do you need it. A lot of people want a gaming monitor and the 1st thing they see is pixel response.
    Now, if you're playing something like WoW, DotA, LoL, and such slow pace games you most likely won't gain any performance benefit out of it. If you were playing high paced twitch shooters like Counterstrike or Quake you'd gain more benefits out of this.

So whether this is worth it to you is a different thing. I am using an Eizo FG2421 and know why people like the high refresh rate and it is nice. 2560x1440 gives a nice work space to use for those that want it.
    Personally, as impressive as this is, $800 is way too much for a TN. I'm on the boat of can't use TN panels and sticking with VA and IPS/PLS. Still going to end up waiting for a higher res VA high refresh rate monitor or maybe a magical OLED.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-07-17 at 11:51 AM.

G-Sync makes it interesting, but I feel like I would be more interested in seeing it with 60 Hz monitors before commenting on the overall usefulness of the technique.
    TN makes it highly uninteresting for me personally, but I can understand why people go for it; the colour-shift with a 27" monitor wouldn't make it a pleasurable experience for me. Colour inaccuracy is something I can live with otherwise.

If I had to buy a high refreshrate monitor I would buy the one you'd already have, but I'd rather opt for a high-resolution IPS, or more ideally, OLED, VA or plasma.

I believe G-Sync is a lot more useful for Monitors that support 60hz only, there is a noticeable difference going from 40 to 60 FPS but less so from 60 to 80. Gsync is all about smoothness between f.ex. 30 and 60 FPS/Hz, 45 FPS +-5 is really jaggy on current monitors, and G-Sync hopefully fixes that since it doesn't rely entirely on getting the max sync for smoothness where as current displays are extremely laggy/stutter-y if below 60 FPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't really care what kind of fancy features it has, it's still 800$ for a TN panel and that's just, no.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The price pisses me off. Everything else I'm cool with, everything. But really ASUS? $800? That's just obnoxious. Yes, I get it, it's a 1440p 144Hz monitor, but guess what, people are overclocking perfect pixel Korean 1440p IPS panels to 120-144Hz and for only $300-400. Yes, I get it, proprietary technology, but this isn't how you make customers happy. This is greed, imho.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It's a TN panel but as Remilia mentioned it's also 8bit, which should improve the color and accuracy as well. It's ranked pretty high on this site I found toptengamer.squidoo.com/top-g-sync-monitors . I do agree the price is a bit much though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The price pisses me off. Everything else I'm cool with, everything. But really ASUS? $800? That's just obnoxious. Yes, I get it, it's a 1440p 144Hz monitor, but guess what, people are overclocking perfect pixel Korean 1440p IPS panels to 120-144Hz and for only $300-400. Yes, I get it, proprietary technology, but this isn't how you make customers happy. This is greed, imho.
    Well about 100 dollars is the G-synch module.

But it is just to expensive for a TN panel. Then again, I'm not part of the group of gamers this screen is meant for :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Well about 100 dollars is the G-synch module.

But it is just to expensive for a TN panel. Then again, I'm not part of the group of gamers this screen is meant for :P
    Thing is I imagine they can even go without it and at a $500 price point. As of now it's even more expensive than FG2421 which was the most expensive gaming oriented monitor before hand, even then it's an 8bit+FRC VA panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I believe G-Sync is a lot more useful for Monitors that support 60hz only, there is a noticeable difference going from 40 to 60 FPS but less so from 60 to 80. Gsync is all about smoothness between f.ex. 30 and 60 FPS/Hz, 45 FPS +-5 is really jaggy on current monitors, and G-Sync hopefully fixes that since it doesn't rely entirely on getting the max sync for smoothness where as current displays are extremely laggy/stutter-y if below 60 FPS.
    From my understanding 1-40 G-sync is pointless. 40-60 there's a lot more use to it. 60+ hits the diminishing return.
    They don't overclock that high, sorry. If the pixel response can't keep up with the refresh rate you'd get stutter and/or artifacts and with the case of those they generally don't have that low. It's there to sound pretty. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/qnix_qx2710.htm
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-07-17 at 08:18 PM.

Deleted
    My god. I wanted to get this monitor so badly. I'm kinda turned off due to the price. It costs more then a 780ti.

This is the first monitor in a (hopefully) long line of G-Sync monitors, right? Should probably wait and check out the competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Acer is releasing a 4k G-sync TN panel at some point in Q2.
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2014/77934

AOC is also releasing a 1920x1080 144Hz one at a $600 / £350. Absurdly expensive considering just an XL2420Z is $350 and cheaper ones like VG248QE is only $275. The G-sync module should not cost an extra $250-300 when everything else about it (feature wise) is typical.
    http://www.aoc-europe.com/no_cache/e...ml?showUid=351

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The G-sync module should not cost an extra $250-300 when everything else about it (feature wise) is typical.
    Welcome to the world of early adopters. It's a new and exclusive feature, so prices will be inflated for a while.

For now GSync isn't interesting for me at all, considering I just got a R9 290 a few months ago and it doesn't work with AMD GPU's. Do you think it will eventually be supported by AMD, or will Nvidia keep it for themselves like Physx?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Welcome to the world of early adopters. It's a new and exclusive feature, so prices will be inflated for a while.

For now GSync isn't interesting for me at all, considering I just got a R9 290 a few months ago and it doesn't work with AMD GPU's. Do you think it will eventually be supported by AMD, or will Nvidia keep it for themselves like Physx?
    Fairly certain Nvidia is going to keep it green.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post

Doubt Nvidia will give AMD usage of it. AMD's solution is FreeSync / Adaptive Sync by VESA that is already built into DisplayPort 1.2a. Monitors would need a firmware update and some minimal changes as far as I understand, majority of it is already there to be used, just not.
    It's also royalty free and doesn't require an additional device so manufacturing cost shouldn't increase and no need to pay royalty like HDMI or G-sync.

Doubt Nvidia will give AMD usage of it. AMD's solution is FreeSync / Adaptive Sync by VESA that is already built into DisplayPort 1.2a. Monitors would need a firmware update and some minimal changes as far as I understand, majority of it is already there to be used, just not.
    It's also royalty free and doesn't require an additional device so manufacturing cost shouldn't increase and no need to pay royalty like HDMI or G-sync.
    You still need a new monitor if you want to use AMD's solution. It requires a different scalar.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    You still need a new monitor if you want to use AMD's solution. It requires a different scalar.
    I didn't say all monitors with DisplayPort can work. I'm saying most of the things are there, just requires some updates / changes, not as drastic as G-sync.

10+ Year Old Account
    Asus has always been greedy. It's why I don't buy much from them.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Asus has always been greedy. It's why I don't buy much from them.
    If it was Asus that was being greedy everyone else throwing out those monitors would be having them quite a bit cheaper, but they are not. As stated earlier, early adopters charge a premium, it doesn't matter who is doing it.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I didn't say all monitors with DisplayPort can work. I'm saying most of the things are there, just requires some updates / changes, not as drastic as G-sync.
    AMD has only showed this working on eDP, see below why. Freesync still requires a new ASIC, the Gsync module is an ASIC, requires obviously 1.2a and the worst part freesync is an option for 1.2a so you won't get it with every monitor being shipped with 1.2a. Are there any monitors atm that do support 1.2a? Dont think so. If yes, do they have the ASIC? Definitely not.

"Adaptive-Sync is a proven and widely adopted technology. The technology has been a standard component of VESA’s embedded DisplayPort (eDP™) specification since its initial rollout in 2009."

http://www.vesa.org/news/vesa-adds-a...ideo-standard/

Practically Gsync = Freesync. AMD literally lied, nothing is currently free until its standard on every monitor in the future. Seems like nvidia copypasted vesa's technique.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

10+ Year Old Account
    At no point did I say Adaptive Sync is available for us at the moment. I'm saying that the technology is there already and needs to be implemented.

As for the 'free'. From your link.
    Implementation of DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is offered to VESA members without any license fee.
    If Adaptive Sync causes an increased price that isn't AMD's fault, that is the manufacturer's fault as the monitor manufacturer (pretty much all of em are VESA members) doesn't need any extra fee to do these.

Vesa adaptive sync might work on some monitors through a fw flash but.. AMD freesync and vesa Adaptive sync are two different things. Freesync only uses a few features of vesa AC but Freesync will only work if the monitor has the ASIC chip. That ASIC chip will add more costs to a monitor, that's not going to be standard for any upcoming DP1.2a/1.3 monitor however you will have vesa AC. Logically only "gaming optimized" monitors would have Freesync with an additional tax like Gsync carries.

Here are some Q/A's from AMD: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2014...-1-2-standard/

Don't think you have the right to copypaste their technique literally and advertize it as your own technology.