Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Actually this post proves you didn't even read my previous post on the HUGE difference of supporting technology that Blizzard uses.
    Actually the only thing this proves is that nobody gives a shit about it except u.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Actually the only thing this proves is that nobody gives a shit about it except u.
    Well it explains why Blizzard made the most successful MMO of the last decade for those interested.

And if you like playing fast cheaply made surrogates as alternatives, please do. I liked playing PotBS too because of the theme, but the times I shook my head in that game were countless.

Most of us see the difference within 30 minutes though.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 03:59 PM.

WOW has always been a favorite of mine,

Actually this post proves you didn't even read my previous post on the HUGE difference of supporting technology that Blizzard uses.
    I didn't read your pervious post. Why would i? They are hard to read. All i see is BLIZZ IS TEH KING!!. Why is it with their vastly superior technology you still have to walk around the Belf/Space Goat lands after 7 years? Why do you still jump like you are playing Jet Set Willy? I could go on and on about how bad Blizzard are at plenty of things.

The simple truth is that WoW excels is some places and is shit in others. This is a universal truth of all games. They suck at X and they rule at Y. Get over it.

I have to lol at this gem....

The loading screens, complete lack of ANY fast transportation and the CLOSED 4 cornered zones are simply consequences of cutting costs
    I know you glean information about games from reading about them instead of playing them but i think clicking on a way point you have opened anywhere in the world and instantly transporting there is kinda fast. Don't you agree?

This is why you come across as a fanatic. You never give props to anything other than Blizzard and drone on and on about how they are just the bestist at everything! when they are obviously not. Big deal is WoW has less loading screens than GW2. They both still have them in spades.

Well it explains why Blizzard made the most successful MMO of the last decade for those interested.
    It helps explain part of the reason why WOW became the most successful MMO in the last decade although I would wager that shrewd marketing and just shear blind luck that Blizzard were in the right place at the right time are both more important than the right number of loading screens.

people still respond to BenBos?

They took off in the East. It is really that simple.

1 billion dolars in revenues is insane realy. Its gona take at least another 10 years to this game to even start its dying when it makes 1 billion a year.

Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    1 billion dolars in revenues is insane realy. Its gona take at least another 10 years to this game to even start its dying when it makes 1 billion a year.
    At its peak Blizzard alone were making roughly $1.2-1.6billion from WOW, depending on expansions launches, compared to this year where they reported $912million.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    At its peak Blizzard alone were making roughly $1.2-1.6billion from WOW, depending on expansions launches, compared to this year where they reported $912million.
    Not true.

The 1.6 billion part was the maximum of Blizzard total. Not WOW alone. Blizzard makes other games too and you know that.

Mostly it was around 1.1 to 1.3 billion dollars for ATVI's WOW, dependant IF there was an expansion or not for that year.

The Blizzard's 1.6 was an absolute high with 12 million Diablo's 3 sold on top. That was 2012.

Actually Blizzard made its first billion+ in 2007... And that was the total company's revenue.

As you ALL know 2013 did not even have an expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    They took off in the East. It is really that simple.
    The East is responsible for a mere 15% of the world's revenue. So that's not true either.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 04:46 PM.

Not true.

The 1.6 billion part was the maximum of Blizzard total. Not WOW alone. Blizzard makes other games too and you know that.

Mostly it was around 1.1 to 1.2 billion dollars for WOW, dependant IF there was an expansion or not for that year.

Actually Blizzard made its first billion in 2007... And that was the total company's revenu.

As you ALL know 2013 did not even have an expansion.
    2014 may not even have any new content, they will still trouser the best part of a billion dollars.

Still, at least WoW doesn't have loading screens. Except for when you switch continents. Oh, or go into the northern part of Eastern Kingdoms. Or enter a raid. Or a BG. Or a dungeon. Yes indeedy, none of those pesky loading screens in WoW. It's part of what makes it the bestest MMO in the whole wide world ever, don't you know.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    2014 may not even have any new content, they will still trouser the best part of a billion dollars.

Still, at least WoW doesn't have loading screens. Except for when you switch continents. Oh, or go into the northern part of Eastern Kingdoms. Or enter a raid. Or a BG. Or a dungeon. Yes indeedy, none of those pesky loading screens in WoW. It's part of what makes it the bestest MMO in the whole wide world ever, don't you know.
    I refuse to take posters seriously who do not even make the EFFORT of reading the previous posts about TECHNOLOGY... The closed poor man's solution of GW2 is a consequence of that cheap technology.

THAT was the issue.

Come back when GW2 will have open worlds you can cross seamlessly through zones and let players play on different servers seamlessly, with instances seamlessly integrated. They don't even know how to do phasing and someone should say them a mount is apparently too difficult to make.

Btw better read up how instances will be different with the technology introduced in WOD.

Great:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/03/06/wa...-instance-tec/

Warlords of Draenor: New instance technology, no load screen in new PvP island

GW2's Cheap low cost design vs the latest High Tech cross server play of WOW... Of course subs were out of the question with that kind of cuts.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 05:01 PM.

I refuse to take posters seriously who do not even make the EFFORT of reading the previous posts about TECHNOLOGY... The closed poor man's solution of GW2 is a consequence of that cheap technology.

THAT was the issue.

Come back when GW2 will have open worlds you can cross through zones and let players play on different servers seamlessly, with instances seamlessly integrated.
    This is the seamless outside world that Blizzard have recently introduced a paid service to allow you to skip? The seamless outside world that is so dull and bland that people are willing to spend $60 extra to NOT PLAY IT?

I think I will stick to the occasional loading screen and good gameplay, if it's all the same to you.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Really surprised Guild Wars 2 isn't on that list but then again, its dealing with carrot based MMORPGS than a cosmetic based game.

The East is responsible for a mere 15% of the world's revenue. So that's not true either.
    It is not about that. Is about perception. They take off in the East and change the definition of subscriber away from paying a monthly fee to logging in once a month in some internet cafe and claim millions more subs than they have. So Joe Smith is looking to play a new mmo and sees one that has 12 million people supposedly paying them $15 a month. Hell it must be the best game right? In he jumps.

You really need to work out what a seamless world is. If i could fly from Stormwind to Orgrimmar then fly to the Shrine of Two Moons then we could talk. Having less loading screens than GW2 does not make it seamless. It is great that they have such big zones you can get about on but it does not diminish another game that has smaller instanced areas. Like i said before each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by FattGuy View Post
    Really surprised Guild Wars 2 isn't on that list but then again, its dealing with carrot based MMORPGS than a cosmetic based game.
    guild wars 2 doesn't have a subscription. but, according to the financial statements of NCSoft, it did make 115.9 million dollars last year so it would be above lotro on that list. Also have to figure the dubious way of superdata getting all of those numbers. In order to find out the methodology you have to pay them and subscribe to them to get that data.

It is not about that. Is about perception. They take off in the East and change the definition of subscriber away from paying a monthly fee to logging in once a month in some internet cafe and claim millions more subs than they have. So Joe Smith is looking to play a new mmo and sees one that has 12 million people supposedly paying them $15 a month. Hell it must be the best game right? In he jumps.

You really need to work out what a seamless world is. If i could fly from Stormwind to Orgrimmar then fly to the Shrine of Two Moons then we could talk. Having less loading screens than GW2 does not make it seamless. It is great that they have such big zones you can get about on but it does not diminish another game that has smaller instanced areas. Like i said before each to their own.
    Blizzard doesn't change anything. It is the China laws that define how people can play in internet cafés. Just as if paying by the minute is better than a fixed sub fee ....

The technical issue is FAR MORE than loading screens alone, like the real time playing together of players across servers, which of course is a combination of extensive background loading, phasing and REAL TIME cross realm play a player in most other MMO's can only dream off.

It makes the old MMO terminology even obsolote as instances, open world, cross server play will have complete new meanings in the very near future.

That Blizzard was able to do this with a 10 year old Legacy system shows an incredible achievement.

----

It is exactly this kind of "hidden/creeping innovation" that always made the difference in favor of WOW.

While WOW was already working on open world cross server play, SWTOR players were stranded on individual servers WITHOUT a decent grouping tool for instances and of course NO cross realm play at all.

The end result was people standing in an isle after 2 months with nowhere to go to as not even a simple server transfer was scheduled.

I could give hundreds of examples like this from the past. RvR in WAR was a joke compared to Wintergrasp. E-sports in other MMO's: non existent. I could show the red flags in these products everywhere.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 05:27 PM.

The technical issue is FAR MORE than loading screens alone, like the real time playing together of players across servers, which of course is a combination of extensive background loading, phasing and REAL TIME cross realm play a player in most other MMO's can only dream off.
    Did it ever occur to you that GW2 does not need all that shit? You can guest your self to any realm you want. You can choose any realm and hop on over. Pretty sweet don't you think?

Did you ever stop and think why they added all that to wow? Could it be they have an absurd amount of dead realms? They have a dwindling player base and rather than realm mergers they did all that. Granted it is a more elegant solution than merging realms as you can keep your name and what not but they are not doing it to be innovative. They are doing so people don't have to play in some dead realm.

Did it ever occur to you that GW2 does not need all that shit? You can guest your self to any realm you want. You can choose any realm and hop on over. Pretty sweet don't you think?

Did you ever stop and think why they added all that to wow? Could it be they have an absurd amount of dead realms? They have a dwindling player base and rather than realm mergers they did all that. Granted it is a more elegant solution than merging realms as you can keep your name and what not but they are not doing it to be innovative. They are doing so people don't have to play in some dead realm.
    The poor man's excuse is really not holding up. OR you play in a full fledged MMO, or you take advanced COD closed maps; glued together with some loading screens and call it an open world (sic) PvP game.

There is NO excuse for NOT having mounts or other forms of transports.

Other than cutting corners.

BTW: Blizzard CONNECTED realms so players are staying and logging on their servers. They simply took CRZ technology and connected servers in a structured way.

That way you are INDEPENDANT of future population problems.

Whether WOW is now being played by 2 M people or 200K people per continent, Azeroth will always be populated.

The awesome thing though is the real time possibility of connecting the players in real time. This being achieved in a 10 year old Legacy system is simply AWESOME.

Actually Blizzard goes faster than MOST trolls can absorbe....

Where are the times that Trolls used "logic" like.

"Everyone is dressed the same after the latest content", "the world is empty ", everyone is just standing in a city", "there is no world pvp",

All gone (or at least gone for those that STILL log in ..." For that's the problem of WOW haters: they know the game they left ... sorry, it changed ...) and keeps on changing.

Sorry but WITHOUT phasing you didn't have Pet Battles or Farms or future Garrisons in which you can invite your friends. Without cross realm play, WOW would have died a LONG time ago.

The fact it stayed on top is by all these quiet little changes in the technology background.

People are not giving up their mount or Azeroth to go for a glued (mini) map without any decent Lore. Yes it is that simple. 10 years explained in one sentence.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 05:44 PM.

The poor man's excuse is really not holding up. OR you play in a full fledged MMO, or you take advanced COD closed maps; glued together with some loading screens and call it an open world PvP game.

There is NO excuse for NOT having mounts or other forms of transports.

Other than cutting corners.
    I notice that you ignored my point about being able to pay to skip WoWs wonderful "seamless" content. As you always do with any point raised that doesn't fit into your world view.

Gameplay is more important than the technology behind it. If WoW and its seamless world is so wonderful, why are people prepared to pay $60 a character to skip it?