Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    Thats what all the people with l2p issues say
    For a game to be truely competitive it needs to be properly balanced wich an MMORPG never will be.
    It's so hard to take some criticism as a fanboy isn't it?

OT: MM/spriest.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkisyum View Post
    For a game to be truely competitive it needs to be properly balanced wich an MMORPG never will be.

No game is competitive then...

MM, spriest (though orbs could be considered a "cd"), arms (stun spec), ele. I would say afflic too honestly; Dark soul is great but they still feel strong without it through the pressure and the cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thats what all the people with l2p issues say

OT: elemental most definately
    I found it really cute that you say WoW is a competitive PvP game then proceed to say one of the most rng based oneshotter the entire expansion was able to create without being nerfed to the ground
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Survival Hunter. Mostly because after WoD launches they will have a grand total of...zero DPS cooldown abilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    No game is competitive then...
    RTS and FPS say hi.

15+ Year Old Account
    RTS and FPS say hi.
    I was CAL-P in CS 1.6, yet I am not Talbadar in WoW (nowhere near) - saying WoW isn't competitive PvP is... suspect
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-07-22 at 10:48 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted

I have probably been banned a billion times for being a rude anti-fanboy on this forums, but if you think ad hominem arguments are a valid criticism then be my guest. Saying that wow in its current state is not competitive- with the high amount of viable comps, is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    I found it really cute that you say WoW is a competitive PvP game then proceed to say one of the most rng based oneshotter the entire expansion was able to create without being nerfed to the ground
    balance =/= enjoyable game

True, this game is filled with the most dumb game mechanics, but since the competitive part is 3v3 based I have no problems with saying that elementals are managable. If we really want to look at the balance then high number of different comps in S15 is a testament for the game being in its most balanced, yet unenjoyable state.
    Last edited by mmoc4f448e7a9a; 2014-07-22 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I was CAL-P in CS 1.6, yet I am not Talbadar in WoW (nowhere near) - saying WoW isn't competitive PvP is... suspect
    Because you can't transfer your skills from CS into WoW, they are 2 completely different games. CS helps you in no way whatsoever apart from reactions.

Elemental isnt that rng dependant tbh, you know you will get procs and you know that pretty much every second lava burst procs another one, so you can actually plan on that. Rng that is consistan isnt rng at all.

Im not sure whats the proc rate for lava surge is, internet speaks of 10-20%, lets just assume 20% for now, so per flame shock you have a 20% chance to get a lava burst, on 4 targets (3 players, 1 pet) that gives you roughly a 60% chance to get a surge. Thats not rng, thats consitant damage.

A hunter or a warrior is more rng based then a ele shaman, both of these classes can nearly global someone if they crit a few times in a row, but the chance for that is probably lower then casting lava surge/proc into instant surge/proc.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Because you can't transfer your skills from CS into WoW, they are 2 completely different games. CS helps you in no way whatsoever apart from reactions.
    Not completely true. A lot of Challenger/Dia 1/LCS League players were gladiators in WoW before moving over to League. Reaction times is one thing, but ability to understand games is another. Normally people who are fantastic at 1 game will be fantastic at others, even in completely different genres.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Not completely true. A lot of Challenger/Dia 1/LCS League players were gladiators in WoW before moving over to League. Reaction times is one thing, but ability to understand games is another. Normally people who are fantastic at 1 game will be fantastic at others, even in completely different genres.
    Not really, I'm great in MMO's and FPS games but I'm absolutely horrible at RTS games.
    And so it is with many other people I got Glad with or are exceptional at FPS games.
    And even in FPS games it differs a lot wich one it is, old arena shooters like Quake and UT are way different then shooters like CS for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm dunno, RTS is transferrable, but fps isn't. I was CPL in Source before starting WoW and it has never helped me apart from reactions. You could argue the ability to play as a team, but I think that's just common sense really. I will actually agree slightly, I always want to be the best at the game I'm playing which is something I developed from CSS, this has helped me in WoW because it's made me do a lot of research and testing on my class in order to be as good as I can. Maybe that's just me though as I'm competitive by nature.

Ele, shadow priests and to a slightly lesser extent hunters.

Deleted
    Warrior. 4 or 5 burst cds sure, but the warrior dosen't simply need them. no no the warrior deals constant op dmg too.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I will actually agree slightly, I always want to be the best at the game I'm playing which is something I developed from CSS, this has helped me in WoW because it's made me do a lot of research and testing on my class in order to be as good as I can. Maybe that's just me though as I'm competitive by nature.
    That's actually where my post was going, I just didn't get round to finishing it. I was going to go on to say that the people who are motivated and competitive by nature to be the best at WoW, for example, are likely going to take those qualities with them when they move to another game. They might not be any good at it for a long time, but they'll keep trying at it because of that drive to be the best.

I'm not saying that if you're a gladiator/rank 1 at WoW you'll instantly be good at other games, it's just the same people are more likely to put more effort in being better at other games they play aswell. Obviously there is other factors, some people might only enjoy playing WoW because their friends are playing it, so they don't have the motivation for other games, but it's just a general statement.

Deleted
    That's actually where my post was going, I just didn't get round to finishing it. I was going to go on to say that the people who are motivated and competitive by nature to be the best at WoW, for example, are likely going to take those qualities with them when they move to another game. They might not be any good at it for a long time, but they'll keep trying at it because of that drive to be the best.

I'm not saying that if you're a gladiator/rank 1 at WoW you'll instantly be good at other games, it's just the same people are more likely to put more effort in being better at other games they play aswell. Obviously there is other factors, some people might only enjoy playing WoW because their friends are playing it, so they don't have the motivation for other games, but it's just a general statement.
    What is something synonimous to WoWs PvP is the learning curve. In most games you have a learning curve and a bracket, but in wow? Lets say you just got into wow....
    First, you level up, where you learn absolutely nothing but tooltips.
    Then you grind bgs, getting oneshoted all the time.
    Then you start doing arenas. Oh boy- the lack of gear and crazy mechanics. Its unlike PvE where you get rewarded for every single thing- wow pvp is either win and collect CP or gtfo.
    Then you start to climb the ladders and start juking, fakecasting, starting to think in front.... And up to like 1.8k (todays) you really dont know how to play properly.

People can talk shit about wow pvp, but the fact is that the competitive play grows a strong sense of discipline and patience on the player. In a lot of cases it is more punishing then rewarding. After a certain point there is 0 room for raging or making trivial mistakes.

Deleted
    People can talk shit about wow pvp, but the fact is that the competitive play grows a strong sense of discipline and patience on the player. In a lot of cases it is more punishing then rewarding. After a certain point there is 0 room for raging or making trivial mistakes.
    Sorry but with only half decent play and a fotm comp you can get easy 2k+ rating.
    While with proper play and an underpowered comp you struggle to get 2k+ because you have to get through a massive barrier of fotm rerollers.

In a game liks CS, you don't see half decent players at Eagle rank (other then hackers).
    Even if you get carried you can't get that high.
    There is no fotm rerolling, there is no classes to balance, there is no pve.

Unless a game is solely balanced and properly balanced around pvp you can't talk about competitive.
    Only competitive in mmo's is about you yourself being competitive as a person, doesn't make the game competitive though.

I don't talk shit for the sake of talking shit or bashing wow or other mmo's.
    Heck I've played the game since the start and got glad multiple times and 1x hero and truely enjoyed it.
    Doesn't mean I bend/ignore the facts though just because I enjoy a game a lot.

The players are competitive, the game is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but with only half decent play and a fotm comp you can get easy 2k+ rating.
    While with proper play and an underpowered comp you struggle to get 2k+ because you have to get through a massive barrier of fotm rerollers.

In a game liks CS, you don't see half decent players at Eagle rank (other then hackers).
    Even if you get carried you can't get that high.
    There is no fotm rerolling, there is no classes to balance, there is no pve.

Unless a game is solely balanced and properly balanced around pvp you can't talk about competitive.
    Only competitive in mmo's is about you yourself being competitive as a person, doesn't make the game competitive though.

I don't talk shit for the sake of talking shit or bashing wow or other mmo's.
    Heck I've played the game since the start and got glad multiple times and 1x hero and truely enjoyed it.
    Doesn't mean I bend/ignore the facts though just because I enjoy a game a lot.

The players are competitive, the game is not.
    I don't think we're debating which game is harder, just how being good at one game affects the other. The quote you replied to is actually true in some cases, I've seen a rank 1 team (minipokje (spelling)) go against a close rival and lose because one of the dps became too offensive and used trinket on something he shouldn't have. I do agree with you though, WoW is competitive in its own means, it is nowhere near as skill dependant and competitive as games like Starcraft or CS, for example. Although, I can't speak from experience for games like Starcraft as I've never been into RTS, but can definitely talk about CS. FPS is much harder than WoW and can easily take 2-3 years just to become decent.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll agree with that prospect.
    Last edited by TJ; 2014-07-22 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo

From the few specs i've played I feel like Ele is the least cooldown dependent simply because I can end up killing some on absurd random back to back LvB procs that take them completely by surprise. Plus when I unleash (if i spec into the talent) I can use the engi trinket since it doesn't stack with the pvp dps on use trinket and the 1min cd on the engi trinket goes by quickly.

Shadow Priest for sure!