as a tank main, I feel like I wasted my boost on warlock..

Thisll sound super first world problem, but how do I gear up as a DPS?

DPS are so oversatured and you can obviously see that by queue times, but regardless, how can I get into pugs/pubs when a i540 dps would be much better than a i520 dps?

I don't really know what to do. If I wanted another toon to gear up, I probably should have picked another tank.

So for those who boosted, how did you guys gear up your dps, and how fast did it take you?
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

lol i guess i am gullable and i bought 2 and used my 1 free one on all 60ish characters for the professions boost

but i have a 90 in every class now

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wait til the xpac drops. Gearing at this point for DPS is gonna be near impossible unless you have guildies willing to let you gear your alt.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
    Just wait til the xpac drops. Gearing at this point for DPS is gonna be near impossible unless you have guildies willing to let you gear your alt.
    Cant you say that about dps at any point in time, that they will be a pita and near impossible to gear?? I mean, my tank isnt even that geared (i544, will be 560 with cloak).
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    Cant you say that about dps at any point in time, that they will be a pita and near impossible to gear?? I mean, my tank isnt even that geared (i544, will be 560 with cloak).
    The issue is we're at an unprecedented length into the same raid tier where it's extremely difficult to go from LFR to Flex without forming the groups yourself or having a guild to support you due to the enormous number of people running the pre-normal content with extremely overgeared characters for a raredrop (heirloom) and thus being a DPS now will be exponentially more aggrevating to gear than, say, the first tier of the upcoming expansion where you can just run heroics to get geared up.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingBreezes View Post
    The issue is we're at an unprecedented length into the same raid tier where it's extremely difficult to go from LFR to Flex without forming the groups yourself or having a guild to support you due to the enormous number of people running the pre-normal content with extremely overgeared characters for a raredrop (heirloom) and thus being a DPS now will be exponentially more aggrevating to gear than, say, the first tier of the upcoming expansion where you can just run heroics to get geared up.
    Maybe LFR to Flex is different for different roles, but for me Flex to Normal seems to be the biggest change in difficulty, regarding getting a pug'd group.

Not only do you have to worry about groups ending early after wipes (getting locked out 2/14, twice in a row, is not fun or productive), but you have to worry about whether or not the groups know the mechanics and/or are willing to learn

- - - Updated - - -

I lied, its not THAT bad...LFR is okay. Im at i504, which is not bad coming from 483
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

10+ Year Old Account
    The big problem is item upgrades, I noticed a sharp increase in ilvl "requirements" on Openraid groups when they came in, with groups who were very capable of doing Normal asking for 550 ilvl, are now asking for 560+. The gap comes in that people aren't willing to go 4/4 upgrades on Flex or lower items, because the cost is so high; we're literally at a point where very often you can't equip new drops for a week or more until you have the valor to upgrade it sufficiently that it actually becomes an upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    World bosses, LFR, PvP, Flex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Got to 550 on my Monk without touching Flexi, there's no excuse for not being able to gear up as a DPS.

• Do the Celestials and Ordos every week; use bonus rolls.
    • Do LFR. All of SoO, some of ToT if you still need it for major pieces like Trinkets/weapons.
    • If you're willing to spend gold (not that much these days) buy the 553 crafted stuff.
    • If you still have low ilvl slots spam 5mans and convert JP to honor; buy PvP gear until every slot is at least 522

- Yes, PvP gear is fine. PvPP doesn't use the stat budget.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-07-21 at 01:23 PM.

How long did it take you, though?

But yes i agree, its completely possible to be 550 without touching flex, if you upgrade all of your 559/553 from celestials and ordos pieces, as well as upgrade most of your 528 stuff..
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

You can also get some crafted legs and a belt that are 553 if you're rich (I have like 1000 gold to my name, so we probably have very different ideas of what "rich" is) or have a tailor alt.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=98612
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=98603

I don't know enough about locks to know if those are even good, but they might at least be a good start.

The 550 PvP gear is reasonably easy to get if you can find a reliable arena partner to bang out some 2's (or just pay someone for a carry). PvP gear is not ideal, but it can at least help you fill the gaps.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-07-21 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    DPS are so oversatured and you can obviously see that by queue times, but regardless, how can I get into pugs/pubs when a i540 dps would be much better than a i520 dps?
    Should just reroll tank or healer dude.

So for those who boosted, how did you guys gear up your dps, and how fast did it take you?
    #1 Never log out of WOW and farm.
    #2 Make friends with tank or healer buddies and queue for LFR.
    #3 Pretend to be 18 year old girl and get invited into Flex/Normal raids.

Deleted
    i have a few ideas as to how i geared my warrior dps!

1. i did celestials every week and got legs + gloves (same as from normal SoO)
    2. i quested & looted boxes at that free epics isle, got 3 burdens (from chest & other stuff) and upgraded helm, trinket and boots i think
    3. farmed some gold and bought the belt from AH
    4. got 550 bracers and Neck from Conquest Points

well that's pretty much it... i was eligible to join flex runs! =)

Start spamming LFRs for your cloak items now, get that going NOW.

Buy 522 Grievous gear to fill in slots by converting JP -> HP and spamming 5mans.

Do Ordos/Celestials.

Queue for Flex1 once you get about 520 ilvl in Other Raids, preferably on a Tuesday/Wednesday when people care less about your ilvl.

Keep doing Garrosh on normal/flex and hope for an heirloom.

10+ Year Old Account

But yes i agree, its completely possible to be 550 without touching flex, if you upgrade all of your 559/553 from celestials and ordos pieces, as well as upgrade most of your 528 stuff..
    5 days played on my Hunter, 567 ilvl, 4 set and Legendary; broadly through Openraid. You can get to 530 in relatively short order, which will stand you in good stead for Flex groups doing a mix of LFR, Ordos, Celestials. After that, you don't need to clear Flex, you can for most classes farm the first two parts a couple of times before heading to later bosses, and from there get into normals with reasonable (550) requirements. Hardest part is finding those reasonable groups, mostly like I say, thanks to the upgrade system.

The boost is almost worthless for me, as i had everything to 90 but a priest (which is level 80)

I might make another toon on a friends server, or on a server that is coupled with my main one

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    5 days played on my Hunter, 567 ilvl, 4 set and Legendary; broadly through Openraid. You can get to 530 in relatively short order, which will stand you in good stead for Flex groups doing a mix of LFR, Ordos, Celestials. After that, you don't need to clear Flex, you can for most classes farm the first two parts a couple of times before heading to later bosses, and from there get into normals with reasonable (550) requirements. Hardest part is finding those reasonable groups, mostly like I say, thanks to the upgrade system.

Thats crazy you geared up your Hunter faster than I geared up my main ( a tank, for that matter...........) who is at i544 at 9.5 hours played.....
    Maybe its a bad deal with luck from rolls or what...
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

15+ Year Old Account
    I recently boosted a warlock coming from a Paladin tank main. Your answer is: farm TI, do LFR, farm Valor/Honor for 522s and buy crafted items. At 518 ilvl right now I'm starting to get into Flex pugs. Sure, most of them require 540+, but you can find some that suit your need. It's just patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Not long at all, just keep doing them every week and you climb from 522+ min (i.e. Honor PvP gear from 5mans) - which is obtainable within hours if you have a tank/healer friend, or over a couple of days otherwise; I did it on my alts, including a Lock.

If you go to the Timeless Isle you can get a couple of Burdens of Eternity and get 535 items, more if you're lucky, and if you are willing to farm Timeless Coins get the trinket too if you still need one.

You can go up to 544 including LFR and Celestial/Ordos loot, without any upgrading. If you upgrade you can get to like 556. Add in Flexi you can max out at like 562 fully upgraded. Obviously going from 522 onwards takes luck, but bad luck protection works out the RNG eventually.

In terms of time taken... Well, my Monk is currently 553 and I only started doing Flexi this week - and only started actively trying to gear it up in the last few weeks because I finally got beta and decided on re-rolling from my DK. I was about 525, maybe 530 before, which is slightly over what you can get from honor as a minimum.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-07-21 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    get highest item level gear.

run pvp & use oqueue & open raid.

find groups for lfr, flexi, normal

try and get a guild to carry you if you can. use gold to buy craftables / achievements.

Cap your conquest as well for that ilvl!
    Hi