View Poll Results: What do you think about glue traps?

Voters
235. This poll is closed
  • Horrible and inhumane! They should be outlawed as a form of animal torture.

59 25.11%
  • Unnecessarily cruel. Should only be used responsibly, as a last resort.

79 33.62%
  • I have no opinion of them either way.

32 13.62%
  • They are okay, whatever gets the job done, regardless of pain/suffering.

46 19.57%
  • I think they're great! It's fun watching them suffer and squirm!

19 8.09%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Well I only use glue traps for bugs but in my opinion if you're trying to get rid of pests who cares how it's done? There's no real humane way of killing mice.
    Because not everyone is a sadist without empathy. And sure there is. I can hit a mouse's head with a hammer and it'd be instantly, dead. No pain. That is a pretty humane way to kill something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    The whole point here is to minimise suffering, because let's face it, sometimes we have to kill animals. That's why a glue trap shouldn't be used over something that kills the animal quickly. At least with a quick killing trap, the animal has no time to be in extreme distress (because it's dead). But to call something that basically superglues an animal's body onto a piece of plastic humane is ridiculous.
    I've already pointed out that if you're going to kill the animal, there are better ways to do it. If you don't want to kill the animal, there are also better ways to do that.

You should always choose your traps based on the goal you want to accomplish and as I already wrote, if the animal in question is not a serious danger to yourself or your property, there are cheaper, more effective and reusable traps that will allow you to catch the animal and release it away from your home.

That said, there still exist glue traps that are designed to minimize harm. Usually the glue degrades easily with rubbing alcohol or water. From the appearance of the traps in the OP, these are also ones that have not been regularly checked and are most likely not being used as intended (as they are intended for small rodents and bugs, not birds and snakes).
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Options might be a little... biased in wording. Nevertheless I've never had to use one and hopefully never will. The only traps I've ever had to use have been standard mousetraps. A dab of peanut butter, set it down, click it into place, hear the snap, and dispose of the clean-killed corpse.

Glue traps just seem... gross and unnecessary. All the fecal matter and slow withering away. Under normal circumstances I don't really see the point of them. Unless you're dealing with bugs. Bugs tend not fall under the same scientific and sympathetic definitions of "pain and suffering" and I could care less if a million get stuck and rot in a single glue trap.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Well, I wouldn't use them.

I once had an infestation of wild mice in my house, I didn't really want to trap the cute little things but they just kept getting more and more bold until they started having sex on the floor right in front of us... that was the last straw.

We started off using the old fashioned lever traps, they were horrible and the poor things suffered so I threw them away. Then we got these weird plastic ones sort of egg-shaped, somehow those always killed them cleanly.

It was terrible regardless. Poor little mice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    They are OK in my opinion. They are more humane than common mousetraps because you can safely remove animal from it and release elsewhere, instead of breaking its spine or neck
    Have you ever seen, or used a Glue Trap?

Chances are by the time you get to the animal, it's killed itself struggling to get out of the glue. Those that go get out, tend to have terrible injuries, and cause needless suffering.

I'm always of the mind, if you are going to kill an animal, make sure it's quick and as painless as possible. Poison isn't perfect, but some poisons are very fast acting and prevent needless suffering.

Sure, it might only be a Rat, but what's the use of making something suffer needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That said, there still exist glue traps that are designed to minimize harm. Usually the glue degrades easily with rubbing alcohol or water. From the appearance of the traps in the OP, these are also ones that have not been regularly checked and are most likely being used (as they are intended for small rodents and bugs, not birds and snakes).
    The point of contention here was your suggestion that some glue traps are humane. I am saying a glue trap isn't humane, no matter what brand or type it is. It is still pretty much superglue, and they all work on the same principle.

Not sure if the manufacturers give a damn about minimising harm when it comes to target animals. Their only intention is to make it work and be as sticky as possible, oils are a natural solvent for stuff like glue anyway.

I keep getting my nose stuck on them.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because not everyone is a sadist without empathy. And sure there is. I can hit a mouse's head with a hammer and it'd be instantly, dead. No pain. That is a pretty humane way to kill something.
    It's not like people lay the traps with the sole intent of making the animal suffer. They lay it, probably in a dark corner or shed of some sort and check on it in a few days and boom dead pest. I myself don't feel like bashing a mouse's skull in with a hammer but by all means be my guest. This is only for small mammals/reptiles and birds though I'm guessing? Bugs can just fuck off and suffocate in the glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlokyldoreifanggore View Post
    All the fecal matter and slow withering away. Under normal circumstances I don't really see the point of them.
    That's actually a good point. A frightened animal will pee and poo a lot more than one that is content. It all one big collection point, and that seems pretty unhealthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if the manufacturers give a damn about minimising harm when it comes to target animals. Their only intention is to make it work and be as sticky as possible, oils are a natural solvent for stuff like glue anyway.
    I'm not sure why any trap that isn't intended to allow the animal to be released unharmed would care about the suffering of the animal. If the intent is to kill, then dead is dead, it makes little difference if it suffered.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's not like people lay the traps with the sole intent of making the animal suffer. They lay it, probably in a dark corner or shed of some sort and check on it in a few days and boom dead pest. I myself don't feel like bashing a mouse's skull in with a hammer but by all means be my guest. This is only for small mammals/reptiles and birds though I'm guessing? Bugs can just fuck off and suffocate in the glue?
    You know indifference and/or neglect is almost just as bad, right? It might not be their sole intent, but they're still deliberately making it suffer for no real reason. Yeah, OP states mammals/reptiles/birds. Saying who cares how a pest is killed is basically saying you don't mind people torturing little critters.

What's the point of having a non-reusable trap that will be stain with all sorts of icky stuff when it catches a pest? Flies or mosquitos maybe? For those we have the bug zapper. We have the old lever trap or one-way cage for rodents. Seriously don't see the point of glue trap, probably a product of the last era.

10+ Year Old Account
    Restaraunt I used to worked at used them and I sabatoged them all the time, I find them reprehensible.
    You're a towel.

Inhumane. If you want to capture and release a mouse you can get better traps for it. You never know what'll happen when a mouse gets in one of those traps. Face gets stuck in the glue and it suffocates, glue in the eye, glue in the ears,etc. Would you want to sit around in glue for hours or days until someone comes and gets you out? Or die from starvation because someone forgot about the trap? Nah. I usually use snapping traps. Sometimes they kill, sometimes they don't and the mouse suffers for a bit or I release it injuried. I still find that better then suffering in a mouse trap.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm not sure why any trap that isn't intended to allow the animal to be released unharmed would care about the suffering of the animal. If the intent is to kill, then dead is dead, it makes little difference if it suffered.
    Ethically and perhaps even legally, it makes a difference. You are right in saying the intent is to kill, but there should be no intent to torture or make the animal suffer longer than necessary. If we're going to start talking about how getting to the end result doesn't matter, because the end result is the same regardless, then I can come up with many extreme situations where this sort of thinking is flawed and deeply disturbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know indifference and/or neglect is almost just as bad, right? It might not be their sole intent, but they're still deliberately making it suffer for no real reason. Yeah, OP states mammals/reptiles/birds. Saying who cares how a pest is killed is basically saying you don't mind people torturing little critters.
    Whatever trap you lay with the sole purpose of killing is inhumane. Even mouse traps can keep it alive with a broken spine, I've seen it before. My point is which ever way it gets done who cares? In my experience mouse traps are messy work and leave guts and blood. I have yet to use glue traps for anything but bugs but I'd assume they're nice and clean most of the time. Dead pest is a dead pest.

I do not condone people torturing animals when that is their intent. A young serial killer in the making who tortures animals for the thrill of it is not the same as someone trying to get rid of some pests. Maybe there are people who get pleasure from trapping pests in glue traps, I wouldn't doubt it. But to assume that just because you use one you must be some heartless sadist is silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of pest control methods like these. Seems like a pretty uncomfortable position to be stuck in while waiting to die of dehydration which is pretty unpleasant in itself. Nice surprise to see that the video was a guy saving a creature from one of those rather than the something horrible I anticipated.

Deleted
    Whatever trap you lay with the sole purpose of killing is inhumane. Even mouse traps can keep it alive with a broken spine, I've seen it before.
    The difference being that glue traps never kill instantly, mouse traps almost always do.

But to assume that just because you use one you must be some heartless sadist is silly.
    No but they are uncaring and ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ethically and perhaps even legally, it makes a difference. You are right in saying the intent is to kill, but there should be no intent to torture or make the animal suffer longer than necessary. If we're going to start talking about how getting to the end result doesn't matter, because the end result is the same regardless, then I can come up with many extreme situations where this sort of thinking is flawed and deeply disturbing.
    It is highly unlikely that you are going to get into legal trouble over glue-trapping mice. Maybe if you were glue-trapping animals people cared about, like cats, yes.

Personally I find poison a far worse solution that glue traps.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    No but they are uncaring and ignorant.
    You truly expect your common person to care about the feelings of a pest? Most people don't even know where the meat they eat comes from let alone the "pain and suffering" of a rat.