View Poll Results: What type of class should the next one be?

Voters
209. This poll is closed
  • 3 role hybrid (Tank/Heal/DPS)

61 29.19%
  • 2 role hybrid (Tank/DPS, Tank/Heal, or Heal/DPS)

75 35.89%
  • Single role (DPS only)

73 34.93%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The next class: Should it be a 3 role hybrid, 2 role hybrid, or pure DPS?

Given the state of WoW, what type of class would you like to see in the future? Do you think we need more tanking specs, or do you feel that we need another pure DPS class?

NOTE: Please don't bring up Demon Hunters or any other class ideas into this thread. This thread is about class type only!

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post

NOTE: Please don't bring up Demon Hunters or any other class ideas into this thread. This thread is about class type only!
    This is nearly impossible really.

We have:
    Healer: Paladin, Druid, Monk, Priest (2 Spec) and Shaman
    Tank: Paladin, Druid, Monk, Warrior and Death Knight
    Pure DPS: Warlock, Mage, Hunter and Rogue.

Honestly, Pure DPS is fine with me, maybe a Ranged DPS and Melee DPS spec which another for either.

inb4 "no new classes"

10+ Year Old Account
    No more classes!

We have enough classes. It's hard enough to balance PvP against every possible spec (which is what, 34 specs now?) but you have to remember how to counter them all. More classes means more complaints of OP, FoTM, and homogenization.

2 role hybrid (Tank/DPS, Tank/Heal, or Heal/DPS)
    I always thought a class without a DPS spec would be interesting, but I doubt it would be seen as viable for questing etc.

Couldn't hurt the T/H/D ratio though!

We have an equal amount of Tanks and Healers, I think it only makes sense to make hybrids from here on out simply to broaden the scope of play. The spot that could be filled is a Mail class that potentially uses Bows/Guns/Xbows to make use of those drops. Agi and Int are the primary stats of Mail armor. I don't think it is mandatory to fill this role, but it seems to make sense to broaden the scope of Ranged DPS play to at least one other class.

2 Role Hybrid is also likely to happen. I could see it being a Tank/Melee DPS/Ranged DPS hybrid, or Ranged DPS/Spellcaster/Healer hybrid just the same. The only drawback is lacking that extra Tank or Heal role that helps people queue in LFR/LFG faster.

That being said, any class identity can be made to fit any class type/role. Themes and lore are made to fit over gameplay like a glove. The Monk was a Leather-based unarmed fighter who could tank, melee DPS and heal with a melee twist. With a different theme, it could have been a Runemaster. And considering we have many concepts for Mage and Hunter Healing specs, Warlock and Shaman Tank specs, anything is possible.

It's hard enough to balance PvP against every possible spec
    I haven't PVP'd in a while, but is it balanced around having every spec viable? I only remember when it was fought only with optimal specs, like Frost for Mages or Beastmastery for Hunters (Beastcleave). Marksman was occassionally chosen as well, but I rarely saw Survival used in PVP.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2014-07-18 at 04:11 PM.

I would sincerely hope they never make another pure DPS class, we had enough requests of adding tanking spec to Warlocks etc. Pure DPS classes are problematic because first you have to balance all 3 specs against each other, second you have to make them distinctive in some manner other than just ability names and visuals, and third you need to be sure they will have a place in raid comps or arena comps and not be just redundant, because you have to compete against established chars, make people reroll and tell them it's worth it to try this new class. Plus, the usual chore of long lfg queues during levelling / gearing up.

I do think we don't have fully explored a tank / ranged dps niche, it's only Druids atm, all other tank classes have no ranged spec. Monk was a step towards filling a "melee healer" niche, so that's done then. A ranged tank couldn't possibly work in a world where all tank classes need to be similarly viable and interchangeable, and how the boss encounters are designed, however a normal melee tank that has a ranged offspec (maybe a second ranged agi weapon user except hunters?) could exist.

pure with melee/ranged spec.

Deleted
    For me pure dps physical ranged dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    For me pure dps physical ranged dmg.
    It's called a hunter.
    Also come WOD hunters get a talent to get rid of the pet if survival / marksmanship, so that's for those who enjoy archer / sniper fantasy without the animal (BM has a different talent, hard to be beast master without a beast).

10+ Year Old Account
    Class type:
    All DPS: Warlock, Mage, Hunter, Rogues
    2 role hybrid: Shaman, Priest, Warrior, DK
    3 role hybrid: Paladin, Druid, Monk, ________

It's obvious......

10+ Year Old Account
    we need more pure DPS classes
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Class type:
    All DPS: Warlock, Mage, Hunter, Rogues
    2 role hybrid: Shaman, Priest, Warrior, DK
    3 role hybrid: Paladin, Druid, Monk, ________

It's obvious......
    A 3 role hybrid that uses mail. And is both agil for one or 2 specs, and int for one or 2 specs.

Otherwise I would use to see a 3 role hybrid using cloth, is meele for DPS and can tank using cloth items and int.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    we need more pure DPS classes
    Based on queue times, that's the last thing we need.

Another pure DPS. It's a lot easier to balance another Pure DPS than another healer or tank. We've got most of the bases covered as far as those kinds go, anyway. What we really "need" is another bow/gun user and another dagger user if they could be different specs for the same class, that'd close that right up. Make them agi mail and you're good to go.

If they do add one, I'd hope it would be a mail wearing class. I could see them being a healer / ranged class hybrid because right now there's not much competition in the hunter / shaman area for gear. Currently, 3 wear each other type of gear, but only two in mail. Add one more to even things out and call it a day. Would make token drops easier too. One item per gear class, and it's as simple as that.

Beyond that, no one competes with hunters for weapon drops. Could potentially make a class that uses them, but I don't see how that would really be any different from hunters. Could potentially play on range I guess, which would make the class require a ton of mobility to play.

If new class:

melee Tank polearm(mail)-Ranged DPS spear/polearm/shield(leather)-ranged DPS bow/dagger(leather) Like a mobile medieval,musketeer,spartan combination

If current class(which I approve). Shaman fourth spec(malee tank), Warlock(demonology tank). And I think this has more precedent and lore to support it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that 3 role hybrid would be easier to balance, since a pure DPS class would want all 3 of its specs to be viable in PvP. We also don't want another Rogue, Hunter, or Warlock situation where all specs feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    It's called a hunter.
    Also come WOD hunters get a talent to get rid of the pet if survival / marksmanship, so that's for those who enjoy archer / sniper fantasy without the animal (BM has a different talent, hard to be beast master without a beast).
    Just like a pure magical ranged DPS is a mage?

Oh wait, Warlocks exist?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Beyond that, no one competes with hunters for weapon drops. Could potentially make a class that uses them, but I don't see how that would really be any different from hunters. Could potentially play on range I guess, which would make the class require a ton of mobility to play.
    Dark Ranger is really the only bow user that's suitably different from a hunter. The only thing it shares with hunters is gonna be ranged DPS (and stealth IF they add it, but it's not exactly a core feature of the Dark rangers). I guess maybe some sort of arcane archer might work too, but that doesn't actually even exist in lore.

DR could even have a healing spec (some sort of shadow weaving or vampiric/life drain mechanic would fit the void/shadow theme fine), giving it two DPS/1 healer specs.

Some sort of Tinker/Engineer may work, but that would just be really weird to have them use bows, so I couldn't really see that.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2014-07-18 at 07:49 PM.