Poll: Pick one

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    100k now, to get me over my last years of studying. after that I hope i'll earn enough money so that the 10 per day won't make a huge difference (where 100k now being broke does!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If you were to put that $100k in an investment fund, you'd earn more than $10 a day in the first YEAR. You'd still have the safety net when you wanted, but when you didn't need it, you'd be earning interest. If you didn't need that safety net for 5 years, by the 5th year you'd be getting $22 a day instead of the $10/day.

- - - Updated - - -

You can invest money at low risk at 6% and retain liquidity.
    Low risk is not risk free.

Deleted
    100k up front. If it was 20/day I'd reconsider.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    Low risk is not risk free.
    I'll take low risk and far higher returns, thank you. If your portfolio is diversified, it would take a catastrophic destruction of the markets for you to have appreciable long term drop in the value of your assets, in which case, you have bigger problems than the difference between $10/day and $100k up front.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

£100k now. Thats 80% of the kind of house I would be happy to live in and a 20% mortgage would be what, £150~ a month? I pay £600 private rent, so the £450 saved a month already pays more than £10 a day, and I own property as my investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yet 10 people chose the $10 a day option...

- - - Updated - - -

At 1%, the $10/day passes the $100k up front at year 31, compounding annually.

At 3%, it's year 54.

At 4%, the daily option never catches up.

This is pretty spot on. At the end of the day it depends on how you are going to invest the money. If you are going with low yielding bonds, 10$/day would be the better bet, but most investors aim for a 5%/year return so 100k would make more sense. You should also keep in mind that inflation hovers around 1-2.5% at healthy times so a 10$/day will barely, if at all, grow in relative wealth. If you are gonna spend the cash on a car or a vacation, doesn't really matter how you spend it :P.

P.S.: Kinda glad you asked the question tbh, I was too lazy to do it by hand which pushed me to write a small recursive script to find the answer. Been thinking about taking up programming again so thank you for the incentive to dabble in it again .
    Last edited by Hupriest; 2014-07-24 at 09:52 PM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOL honestly...

$100k could fix a lot of problems right now for me. A decent trailer on land I own and a new car that I wouldn't have to worry about for 10 years. So every dollar I earn at work can be saved up in a bank and grow it's own interest. Not to mention You could die next week (or even going to pick up the $100K) and I'd take my chances with the here and now.

Deleted
    i would take the 10$ a day, i would always get money, even when I'm old.
    100k is nice as well but you never gonna put the full 100k on a bank for 2/5/10 years, you just got a 100k of course you are going to do/buy things of it,
    Invest part of the 100k but no one can guarantee a profit on stocks and shares or in anything else its gambling, 50/50 (also may cause stress when it goes bad)

for me i will take the nice 300$ each month extra, its a guarantee always being there

I'm 35, I assume I will make it to 85. At 50 years you are around the 180k+ mark at 10 dollars a day. I think I would most definitely take $10 a day and then save it because I don't need it to live on. Figuring in a decent investment strategy, in 50 years I would probably be closer to 1 million at $10 a day.

I'm an idiot...if you invested the $100,000 well you would far surpass the $10 a day... I wasn't thinking.
    Last edited by Daez; 2014-07-24 at 10:04 PM.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

oh well who the fuck cares already got the 100.000 $ not like I would trade it for 10$ everyday cause that's essentially what the bank gives

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Is the $100k subject to capital gains tax?

---

I'm in ur thread. Overthinking shit again.
    I believe you have to hit $250,000 by the end of the year to hit capital gains tax. My dad went over last year with his farm but bought a lot of farm equipment to subset the gain. He is making out pretty damn well in the fracking business.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    I'm 35, I assume I will make it to 85. At 50 years you are around the 180k+ mark at 10 dollars a day. I think I would most definitely take $10 a day and then save it because I don't need it to live on. Figuring in a decent investment strategy, in 50 years I would probably be closer to 1 million at $10 a day.

I'm an idiot...if you invested the $100,000 well you would far surpass the $10 a day... I wasn't thinking.
    which you would easily bypass by investing the 100k somewhere

I would it was just a hundred dollars lol I change to the 100k duh

100k now. Not really to invest. Likely apply about half to the principle of my home and refinance to massively lower the payment. Would make it to where living would be SUPER easy on way less money then the wife and I make now. Divide up the other 50 into 25k and put half of it into my wife account and the other half into mine. Then likely go on a balls out vacation on my cut and she could just get shit without worrying about it for a good long while.

If doubling or tripling a 100k was so easy everyone that came across a 100k would be a millionaire. The cold fact is most investments belly up more often then they pay out unless you are willing to wait 10-20+ years. That is a long time. Probably almost half to a third of most peoples lives thus far on the forums if you put it to an average.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post

I was gonna say ... lol
    Sidenote: with 6% annual return, you would surpass the $1M mark with $10/day on year 49 with a grand total of $1059726.05

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    If that's supposed to be 100,000 - then YOU KNOW IT!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO as many stated above: I N F L A T I O N!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I am already 44, I figure not much more than 30 more yrs to live (if I'm lucky & b/c of health issues) so 365 days/year for 30 yrs = 10, 950 more days x $10/day = $109,500.

I'd take the 100k now plz & tyvm ^__^

currently living on $7,452.00/yr ~ $100k would feel like bazillions to me :D hellooooo Target instead of Wal*Mart

edit ~no I would not just go shopping or waste the $!

Definitely upgrade our lil house that's falling apart (or replace w/ a decent used manufactured home), find a decent dependable used car/suv for me (my poor van is almost 20 yrs old & she doesn't feel so good anymore) & give my husband either the '89-91 Camaro or good ol late 70's Trans Am he's always wanted. However I feel the TA MUST have the Squidbilllies insignia instead of the TA bird. One of those or a black A-Team van. with candy but B.A. Baracus not included.
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2014-07-24 at 10:45 PM.
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chose 10 bucks a day because you said $100.000 and not $100,000.

$10 a day definitely, that's alot more than 100k

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

10+ Year Old Account
    How about $100k now but you can't invest/ gain interest or $10 a day?