Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Is the Warcraft movie going to be an "A" list movie?

So I looked over the production credits for the WoW movie expecting some big names somewhere, but there's none..

The budget for the movie by Legendary pictures is $100 million, which is less then half compared to the budgets of the other movies they have in production (Fast and the Furious 7: 275 million/Jurassic World: 225+ million). Nolan's Interstellar has a budget for 100 million JUST for advertising, with another 200 million for production. The director Duncan Jones only has two movies under his belt, with his last one looking like a made-for-TV-movie, with what seems an extremely cliche plot.

Next I looked at the actor list, and all of the supporting cast don't have impressive resumes at all. The one girl was in Mission Impossible, and the lead character has a decent resume of movies that are barely heard of aside from two or so. All of them have been in a big name movie or two, but have done roles where they're in the movie for like five minutes, aside from the Mission Impossible girl. None of them are A-list actors, and have more minor television roles more then anything according to their IMBD pages.

Is this a bad sign? I really hope WoW isn't destined to go down as this generations "Street Fighter" when it comes to video game made into movies.. and I hope it isn't just a tax write off for Blizzard/Legendary causing it to be in the movie theatre for like three weeks..
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2014-07-25 at 01:15 AM.

It's not a bad sign. LOTR had - at the time - a bunch of unknowns in it. WC movie is the same, but it all comes down to proper management and directing. If they can pull that off with passion - it'll be just as great.

I always love the whole A-list actor thing, how do you think they become that? They get a break through role, Harrison Ford had Han Solo, more recently Robert Downey Jr. had Tony Stark. Just because it doesnt have an high dollar big name actor doesnt mean it doesnt have talented passionate actors in it.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it will be fine. I don't want the faces of famous actors to come to mind when I think about iconic Warcraft characters.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    it will be fine as long as the story is good and the cgi doesnt suck cocks

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    it will be fine as long as the story is good and the cgi doesnt suck cocks
    Bare minimum standards for this movie: It has to be better than Avatar: the Last Airbender. Period. At least.

For their 150 million budget, the CGI looked far worse than Serenity's 40 million budget which had excellent CGI, which was several years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    So I looked over the production credits for the WoW movie expecting some big names somewhere, but there's none..

The budget for the movie by Legendary pictures is $100 million, which is less then half compared to the budgets of the other movies they have in production (Fast and the Furious 7: 275 million/Jurassic World: 225+ million). Nolan's Interstellar has a budget for 100 million JUST for advertising, with another 200 million for production. The director Duncan Jones only has two movies under his belt, with his last one looking like a made-for-TV-movie, with what seems an extremely cliche plot.

Next I looked at the actor list, and all of the supporting cast don't have impressive resumes at all. The one girl was in Mission Impossible, and the lead character has a decent resume of movies that are barely heard of aside from two or so. All of them have been in a big name movie or two, but have done roles where they're in the movie for like five minutes, aside from the Mission Impossible girl. None of them are A-list actors, and have more minor television roles more then anything according to their IMBD pages.

Is this a bad sign? I really hope WoW isn't destined to go down as this generations "Street Fighter" when it comes to video game made into movies.. and I hope it isn't just a tax write off for Blizzard/Legendary causing it to be in the movie theatre for like three weeks..
    Well, as long as you are basing opinions off of never seeing it.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unknown actors/directors pop up all the time, that is how they be come known.
    People have to starts somewhere, if we stuck with only already established actors we'd have a very lousy film industry in the future.

I'm so glad it's not A list. Just my opinion of course but I find it more believable(fantasy or not) if the actors are not plastered all over TV, mags, etc in the 24/7 media.
    It relies on the story to carry the film, not the faces. Let's just hope the story can do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft has a HUGE following, it doesn't need A-list stars. The name alone will get hype, not the cast or crew.

But I want to see Angelina Jolie play Azshara!

By all accounts, Duncan Jones is an excellent director. Despite his very brief resume, Moon was a highly acclaimed film, as was The Source Code. Also, he's David Bowie's son, so awesome is just in his genes.

The thing I noticed about the cast is that it doesn't contain traditional Hollywood leads, but rather quite a few solid character actors, most notably Clancy Brown and Ben Foster. Both actors have impressive depth to their acting range and can play all sorts of characters.

I can't swear the movie will be good, but nothing I've seen so far has made me think it will be poorly done.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    Warcraft has a HUGE following, it doesn't need A-list stars. The name alone will get hype, not the cast or crew.

never watch midnight releases of movies but if warcraft has one i am so gona be there at midnight!

Deleted
    Well the two things you mention actually interconnect when it comes to budget. Because they don't use the top actors they don't have to have a budget of 100 million to make all the things in the movie, and 100 million to pay three actors to play their roles (these numbers are made up to make a point!).

The "low end" actors is a very good thing, most of the A list actors are so typecasted it is impossible to not lose their played character and replace it with the movie/series they are know for. For example, any of the main actors of friends, Samuel L. Jackson in Star Wars etc. etc.. Same reason the new Star Wars movie won't have big named actors, because they don't want these typecasted people to ruin the experience.

Here, have some taste.

The director is fantastic. The FX artists are among the finest in the world. Blizzard waited 10 years for this movie because they would not settle for a normal shitty video game movie. They would have made the movie at the height of WOW's popularity and freshness in pop culture otherwise, derp.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As Valyrian said, one of the Lord of the Rings movies' biggest boons was the fact it didn't over-use huge A List Stars; it stuck with relative unknowns and theatre actors. I'd rather see some unknown theatre actor nailing a role, than some wooden A Lister killing the character.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    never watch midnight releases of movies but if warcraft has one i am so gona be there at midnight!
    yeah I think I went to the cinema once in the last 8 years but I'm so gonna watch this with my pals

Its gonna be a 'Fuck You Its January' movie where its buried with the rest of the crap in the worst month for movie releases LOL

But in all seriousness it has to suck pretty bad not to get a summer blockbuster release

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummiehorde View Post
    Its gonna be a 'Fuck You Its January' movie where its buried with the rest of the crap in the worst month for movie releases LOL

But in all seriousness it has to suck pretty bad not to get a summer blockbuster release
    didn't they choose to not release it during summer because of Star Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    The movie needs to draw in people who DONT know about it to be successful.