Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I have a feeling it'll do very well in box office, but with a reception that's mediocre at best.

Hoping I'm wrong, of course, but past experiences have made me very cynical.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't want to speculate whether this is a good or a bad thing - or anything in between. Personally, I want to see the movie to see what they do with the lore, and how much of a story they can tell while not butchering lines, making things clichéd or forced, or using too many conventions. The icing on the cake would be fantastic CG.

Someone said that LotR was full of unknowns, but it had a lot of already established actors. Almost all of the main characters were known for past movies (Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean, Ian McKellan, John Rhys Davies, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Liv Tyler...). Now, whether that is a good thing or not is up to personal opinion. There really is no telling just how good or bad, exciting or bland, or how many shades of grey will encompass the final product.

I'm hopeful that I will enjoy it; and that is all that matters to me - as it should to you.
    For the Alliance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    I honestly don't want to speculate whether this is a good or a bad thing - or anything in between. Personally, I want to see the movie to see what they do with the lore, and how much of a story they can tell while not butchering lines, making things clichéd or forced, or using too many conventions. The icing on the cake would be fantastic CG.

Someone said that LotR was full of unknowns, but it had a lot of already established actors. Almost all of the main characters were known for past movies (Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean, Ian McKellan, John Rhys Davies, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Liv Tyler...). Now, whether that is a good thing or not is up to personal opinion. There really is no telling just how good or bad, exciting or bland, or how many shades of grey will encompass the final product.

I'm hopeful that I will enjoy it; and that is all that matters to me - as it should to you.
    Most of the Warcraft Actors are on the same level that most of the LotR actors where - they'd been in stuff before, but they where hardly in the public eye. Obviously there where a couple exceptions. But who knows, maybe they've got Christopher Lee in to voice Kil'jaeden.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    D&D films came out after the D&D mmo. How does that make wow the first to do it as you claimed? Hell ever the new Star Wars films will be out before the new Warcraft film. They have had 2 mmos.

Why would i hate WoW? It is just a video game i don't play just now. Are you a Sith irl? You only seem to deal in absolutes. I would love the film to be good. I like good films.

So now instead of explaining why 93 million people who did not/do not like WoW would go to see the film they are now all bringing entire families to see a film of a game they did not like?

Holy shit!! Move over Avatar!! This film is going to kick your arse and take the top spot as Highest grossing film ever. Step aside Ben Hur, Titanic and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King!! This movie will take 12 Academy Awards!!!! <---- That is what i think is going on inside your head.
    Are you implying that over 10 years WOW did NOT reach out to at least 30+ million players that ACTIVELY played in this full 3 D world a huge amount of time ? Over 100 million players dabbed in it. It was Morhaime himself stating 1/3 stayed for long periods.

Are you implying that an unknown MMO with hardly 50K players had ANY impact ? BTW there was NO MMO before the first SW movies.

Are you stating that PLAYING for months/years in an open world MMORPG like 3D Azeroth is NOT attached to your mental hard disk?

If only HALF of those 100.000.000 people that stepped in Azeroth would view the movie, they already have a grossing of 500 million dollars.

And frankly ... if ANY video game of Blizzard lately reaches - with ease - 20 million players (D3 - HS) , it will be no hard deal to gather that number for mass entertainment either.

If so: admit it: your worst fear is that this movie will be put on the front of the news.

Spare me the italics below your comments: I never said that: but it IS the worst fear going on into your head and every WOW hater on this planet.

If this movie will have a fraction of the success I think it could have, start saving tears already, for WOW(2) could run another 10 years with equal success as the last decade.

Thast's why the hate boys better start posting 0/10 on Metracritic already.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-31 at 09:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    It doesn't need A list or even much publicity or draw to those outside of wow players to be successful. Blizzard just needs to add the achievement See the World of Warcraft movie 10 times and get a pet a mount and title.
    This is brilliant xD but how do you validate watching it 10 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    This is brilliant xD but how do you validate watching it 10 times?
    The 10 times watching is extreme (a bit).

But I know some Lotr fans who watched the first movie 3 times in its launching week. By the time the 3rd movie was out, they held Lord of the Ring marathons for a special price: Viewing 12 hours non stop: part 1 - part 2 - part 3.

I almost forgot that: Anyone who actively played WOW for a few years will see it multiple times for sure ... IF the movie captures the Azeroth world

So make that 1 billion dollars grossing already (500 million X2).

Oh so good times ahead ... Movie bringing in 1 billion dollars, Hearthstone bringing in 500 million, WOW bringing in 1.5 billion as it will simply double the players by then.

Perhaps I should hold on to that ATVI stock after all, despite Destiny being a simple shooter ...

Give it up guys, with this movie, WOW (version 48.2) will be played into the next century. It must be terrible for some: a life dominated by Warcraft (hate).

I wonder how many will celibrate the 100th birth anniversary of Thrall ? Oh I forgot anybody reading this will be ... dead by then ...

85 year old TinTin sends his friendly greetings.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-31 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Lack of A list actor can be a good sign.

Hell, the original Star Wars practically created what is these days knowns as "modern blockbuster" phenomenom and it was done with practically unknown actors.
    Star Wars was 1 in a million, kid

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Most of the Warcraft Actors are on the same level that most of the LotR actors where - they'd been in stuff before, but they where hardly in the public eye. Obviously there where a couple exceptions. But who knows, maybe they've got Christopher Lee in to voice Kil'jaeden.
    Maybe it's a generational thing, but before LotR I could name a movie with each of the listed people (Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean, Ian McKellan, John Rhys Davies, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Liv Tyler...) in it and I'm not a movie guy at all. The list of people in this WoW movie doesn't have a single name I could identify without checking to see what they looked like on IMDB and from there saw that TV is where they seem to be most active. Iron Man's dad? Some b-list in prince of Persia? sign me up I guess.

This isn't a big deal by any stretch, but these people aren't on the same level as the LotR crew was regarding their previous work. With any luck this WoW crew will get their start here, but they certainly aren't big names now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Maybe it's a generational thing, but before LotR I could name a movie with each of the listed people (Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean, Ian McKellan, John Rhys Davies, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Liv Tyler...) in it and I'm not a movie guy at all. The list of people in this WoW movie doesn't have a single name I could identify without checking to see what they looked like on IMDB and from there saw that TV is where they seem to be most active. Iron Man's dad? Some b-list in prince of Persia? sign me up I guess.

This isn't a big deal by any stretch, but these people aren't on the same level as the LotR crew was regarding their previous work. With any luck this WoW crew will get their start here, but they certainly aren't big names now.
    Maybe you're more of a movie guy then you thought? There where a couple of big names like Ian Mckellan, Christopher Lee, Sean Bean but everyone else was pretty obscure. Even to this day the cast of LOTR (aside from those already big names) are not A-listers - they are only known for Lotr in the public eye. And of course this is all a moot point, it makes no difference to the quality of a film.

On a slightly related note - do we know all the main cast of the film? That seems unlikely to me given the sheer amount of characters related to Warcraft alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    It's not a bad sign. LOTR had - at the time - a bunch of unknowns in it. WC movie is the same, but it all comes down to proper management and directing. If they can pull that off with passion - it'll be just as great.
    LoTR? Bunch of unknowns?
    Sean Bean
    Christopher Lee
    Ian McKellen
    Hugo Weaving

It's on a clear course to B-rating.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Are you implying that over 10 years WOW did NOT reach out to at least 30+ million players that ACTIVELY played in this full 3 D world a huge amount of time ? Over 100 million players dabbed in it. It was Morhaime himself stating 1/3 stayed for long periods.

Are you implying that an unknown MMO with hardly 50K players had ANY impact ? BTW there was NO MMO before the first SW movies.

Are you stating that PLAYING for months/years in an open world MMORPG like 3D Azeroth is NOT attached to your mental hard disk?

If only HALF of those 100.000.000 people that stepped in Azeroth would view the movie, they already have a grossing of 500 million dollars.
    I am sure it did reach 30+ million players. I just don't get why you think people are going rush to see a movie about a game they did not like? All i was sayng about D&D was they did a film with an MMO out several times. You said WoW was going to be the first. Nor did i say there was a Star Wars mmo out before the films, set in the same era anyways.

What is all the hate boy rubbish? I have already said i hope it is good and does well. I like to watch good fantasy movies. Why would i fear if it does well lol... You crack me up BenBros.

Oh so good times ahead ... Movie bringing in 1 billion dollars, Hearthstone bringing in 500 million, WOW bringing in 1.5 billion as it will simply double the players by then.
    ....i mean really crack me up! You are like the eternal optimist.

Yeah, no, this isn't going to fucking happen.

"I played WoW for four months in like 2006 before I quit because there was nothing to do but raid, SO NOW WARCRAFT IS WIRED INTO MY MENTAL HARD DRIVE! MUST SEE NEW MOVIE WITH NO-NAME ACTORS!"

Not likely. This is going to be a trainwreck that gets talked about for years. WoW's moment of pop culture relevance is years in the past.

people please stop comparing this garbage to lotr like seriously its like comparing justin bieber to freddie mercury or something

Quote Originally Posted by geniebsmart View Post
    people please stop comparing this garbage to lotr like seriously its like comparing justin bieber to freddie mercury or something
    people please stop comparing this to garbage like seriously its like comparing LotR to garbage.

<Shrug> Don't know until it comes out right? Look at Guardians of the Galaxy, lot of the internet naysayers said it was going to bomb because "Marvel/Disney" and from what I can read/watch about it has been the most successful Marvel movie to date.

So, again, can't judge something with out actually seeing it, but then again being negative is so much easier then hoping for something good.

Look at the bright side: This movie couldn't possibly be worse than Wing Commander was for Origin.

...Right? .... Right?

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it'll be an A list movie regardless of actors or budget. Warcraft already has a negative reputation to the general populace as a game for no-lifers, so I don't think it'll draw in huge crowds.

But hopefully I'll be wrong. I hope the movie re-ignites that creative spark in the WoW developers and gives a boost of inspiration.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Look at the bright side: This movie couldn't possibly be worse than Wing Commander was for Origin.

...Right? .... Right?
    This movie will be a complete flop just like dragonball was I bet you any amount. I can feel it my bones. It will be a half arsed movie with a fragmented storyline. They are starting too far back in the story of warcraft so you can tell they don't plan on making many if any sequels. They could have used the arthas storyline and had a viable sequel easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodgela View Post
    They are starting too far back in the story of warcraft so you can tell they don't plan on making many if any sequels. They could have used the arthas storyline and had a viable sequel easily.
    That makes no fucking sense at all

Quote Originally Posted by Skragzilla View Post
    Yeah, no, this isn't going to fucking happen.

"I played WoW for four months in like 2006 before I quit because there was nothing to do but raid, SO NOW WARCRAFT IS WIRED INTO MY MENTAL HARD DRIVE! MUST SEE NEW MOVIE WITH NO-NAME ACTORS!"

Not likely. This is going to be a trainwreck that gets talked about for years. WoW's moment of pop culture relevance is years in the past.
    Nobody who ever liked WoW played it for 4 months...

More like "I played WoW for 4 years at 4 hours a day between 2005 and 2009 and those 3D images are still burned on my mental hard disks".

Those are many many millions in that case. Hell there are multi millions of dudes who played it for 9 years already on and off. We are not talking 200k players here, but 30 million spread over 10 years.

I was anxious to see the movie of Lord of the Rings 30 years after I had read the books and I did't read them for 4 years at 4 hours a day ...

See the difference ? Disregarding the extreme time put into hours of playing Azeroth in 3D hours by MILLIONS is a kind form of protection. WE were ALL hooked and most of us will never erase those moments.

I am afraid that'a a reality for many many ex WoW players. Let alone the active ones.

THIS was never a game you bought and shelved after 5 weeks for its 30 million fans throughout its history and believe me those 70 million others who dabbed in it will be lured in by the extreme hype too.

Of course the movie will be hated by some idiots who made a life hobby by pissing on it, but those 1.234 Meracritic 0.0 guys will not prevent a huge blockbuster.

I think Warcraft alone by its name and Lore has simply too many people interested to be ignored like Wingcommander etc ... AND add the rather obvious fact it ALREADY has a CONSISTENT 3D world burned in our brains. Something games like Lara Croft or Mario or Dungeons and Dragons etc never had.

-----

Warcraft long passed its Glory? Hell it had 7.5 + million PAYING subscribers in 2013 and dominated every other PC game in revenue per year (more than 1 billion dollars) by a LONG shot. Not even LoL came close with a mere 620 million dollars.

It was enough that Blizzard created a Warcraft card game in 2014 to blow away all other card games in one night. Just look at the daily iPad grossings as I type. Korea number two, Chine number one, Germany number 3 ... of ALL iPad APPS in daily grossings.

For God's sake wake up: the Warcraft franchise is MASSIVE and grosses over 1 billion dollars per year with ease worldwide.

And you are gonna say that it won't even gross 100 million dollars. LoL . With an acclaimed Director filming it? LOL...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-01 at 07:59 AM.