Thread: Mob tagging LOL

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't we already have a big topic about all this elsewhere? Reading this has been very deja vu.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ocial-gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    So...you say mob tagging is fine the way it is then go on to say people shouldn't complain when they have to compete with 5000 other people for tags. That makes no sense. You make it open tagging to stop the having to compete with 5000 other people on launch day.
    In MoP they changed the way quest mobs work and if you kill all of them, they instantly respawn. I have not once had a "can't tag a mob due to congestion" issue in MoP. There will always be some congestion the first few days of expac release as everybody is in the same starting area, but it thins out after a day or two as you progress through the content and peoples progression levels gets staggered.

I think its a current topic because a flood of people got invites to beta in a massive invite wave, and suddenly you have ALL beta testers on one server starting fresh characters at the exact same spot. Its an extreme situation that MOST servers population will never allow to happen. I played beta the night the second massive invite wave went out and the area you start questing was PACKED!... but i still had no issues tagging anything, and any important quest mob was share tag. I don't see an issue with the system, and I do not think Blizz needs to look at redesigning the system because of unique situations like the first week of an Expac. This is not Black and White for me, I would have no major issues with a full share tag/loot system, but I just don't see it as something that needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ...Even in solo areas like daily quest hubs in Mists, we'd commonly see transient pickup groups form for the sake of efficiency, and stick together through that hub..
    Sure fucking love the group invite spam that you get in zones at times. Without a word, just spam invite and hope someone will let you leech off them..
    You should consider that some people, like myself, invite not to leech... but as courtesy of sharing tags on limited spawn mobs in the given area.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    I agree, the thing is, WoW is built on those limitation. The obvious and best solution would be to delete everything and start over, aka, make a new game. That's how games today come up with better things, because a fresh starts allows pretty much anything, which an Expansion, or a patch, just can't. And I don't see blizzard resetting WoW like Square rebooted their FF mmo.
    This is actually a programming change that they have proven capable of because there are already shared tap mobs. So in this case, it would be something relatively easy for them to do...much like how they took scaling and blew that up across multiple systems. The game wouldn't need to be redesigned in the slightest. It would just make all mobs in the world function exactly like shared tap already does: you help kill, you get credit, you get your own loot. It turns players of the same faction from being enemies to actually being allies. It makes no sense logically or lore wise why we would be competing for resources even when we have the same objective.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Can I ask your reasoning behind liking it this way? Do you like to test your metal so to speak against mobs? Like to play more slow as casually? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious why you like it that way.
    I think it's mostly I prefer fighting over searching for mobs. I don't enjoy running around looking for stuff so when I take 20 seconds to find a mob I want to spend some time fighting it. But when I get help, it dies much quicker and I'm back to running around again. I can set my own pace better when I'm doing it all on my own.

And if there's a large group of people with open tagging it ends up being an AoE fest where all you're doing is hoping to get 1 hit in before it dies (this was how GW2 was for me and most Rift rifts and Timeless isle elites). In those cases whether I'm there or not doesn't matter and I don't feel like I'm doing anything and it simply feels very unsatisfying.

But I'm not against open tagging for much of the stuff Blizzard has implemented it for: named mobs with fairly long respawns I do like having the open tagging since with those it often was just a race to whoever could tag it first and then you were stuck waiting for the next respawn and hoping you're quick enough to tag it.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2014-07-29 at 07:58 PM.

Deleted
    Oh look its another thread where unsocial people blame blizzard for their unsocial behavior in game - sounds about like people blaming jesus for their lives being shit....

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I think it's mostly I prefer fighting over searching for mobs. I don't enjoy running around looking for stuff so when I take 20 seconds to find a mob I want to spend some time fighting it. But when I get help, it dies much quicker and I'm back to running around again. I can set my own pace better when I'm doing it all on my own.
    But when you take so long to kill something, the other people around you have killed everything else in the immediate area meaning that you have to take even longer to hunt for mobs --which you said you don't like. If the efforts were shared, you would be able to work with people around you in an organic fashion and likely not spend any time searching for mobs and spend more time in combat. In fact, it allows you to be crazy and pull large groups of things or chain pull with better capacity.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    And if there's a large group of people with open tagging it ends up being an AoE fest where all you're doing is hoping to get 1 hit in before it dies (this was how GW2 was for me and most Rift rifts and Timeless isle elites). In those cases whether I'm there or not doesn't matter and I don't feel like I'm doing anything and it simply feels very unsatisfying.
    AoE fest usually never happens on those games for regular quests, not even at launch. For things like rare mobs or special events? sure, and i agree... Gw2 had some events that felt simply stupid with so much people, you didn't feel like fighting anything at all, just spamming things in a huge mess of lights and special effects (exactly the same as Celestials or Ordos at launch). But just because that's how it worked for Gw2 with certain events it doesn't mean that open tap is a bad thing, is just a concept, how each game decides to implement that concept is entirely up to them.

And i'll say it again, stop thinking as if the world is going to suddenly be filled up with people. The end result is not that different between the two systems, it's just very helpful and a big QoL improvement for any launch of new content with the majority of the population centered in the same place with the same quests, after all the fuss is gone? you'll be killing one mob and the guy in the same zone, just 10 meters away from you, will be killing his own mob, even with open tap, we all enjoy playing and killing our own stuff, simply waiting and fighting to hit first than anyone else shouldn't be part of the game.

pretty sure people being antisocial is the players fault, not blizz they dont control how social people are and i dont know how they even would