Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wait, are you just mad that GW2 patched new content this week? Should I point out the gear I have had for a year kills the new content just fine? Lol
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyun View Post
    After Blizz got taken they fired 600 ppl. Pure math less ppl less content (and poorly made).
    When 2 companies merge (Like Blizzard and Activision) or you are acquired by another company there's going to many positions that are duplicated. Once you finally integrate the divisions together there will always be a loss of jobs. HR and Finance get the boot while Marketing and Sales get leaner.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Why would i take anything personally? When you start a post with...

Oh look, this thread again, and with arm chair software developers that have no idea about how the software development process works comparing World of Warcraft to games that came out much later as usual.

Then go into some long winded opinion piece and try to sound like you are the font of all knowledge about games you probably haven't played and games in general. I disagree with most of your conclusions. No point in getting into a quote war about some guys subjective opinion. So rest assured that my butt is hurt free.
    Are you a software developer with any meaningful experience in the game development field? If so, that line doesn't apply to you because you wouldn't be using the same old flawed arguments. However, if my assumption based on your responses is correct, you are not and as a result, are exactly that: an arm chair software developer with no knowledge about the software development process.

Also, how was my post an "opinion piece" outside of the one thing that you took personally? The content released by the other 3 MMOs is in fact often buggy and consumed quickly by the average player. The time frames between new content patches for the other 3 games are exactly what I said they were, supported by the links that I included. World of Warcraft is in fact 10 years old. The 2 games that changed from P2P to F2P did have an alarming drop in subscribers after a few months. The new content patches released by the other games do not include as much new playable content as one of World of Warcraft's patches. Lastly, the game engine that Blizzard is working with is definitely older than the engines that the other 3 MMOs are working with. You can disagree with those facts as much as you want but neither of them are subjective.

Having said all that, I'm glad that you're not butt hurt but I must say, your posts don't really support that. You should probably work on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    then maybe they should fire the current cooks and hire more capable ones?

I don't want them to rush wod, but the wait time IS unacceptable.
    Ahh yes, the perfect solution: fire everyone who is currently on the development team and hire new people out of thin air. Genius!

Deleted
    Posting in a Gaylock flamebait thread.

Why is he still not permabanned edition.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-07-31 at 07:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzakid2093 View Post
    While your argument is valid for something things, such as content design, it falls apartment it comes to strict coding features such as the heirloom tab, tabard tab, etc. these are strictly coding problems they could have other people working on. While game design is a creative as well as practical process the pieces of the game like this could easily be worked on the side to be available at release.
    They have 14 job posting for WoW right now. So one would assume they are 14 people short.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    Sorry but that's rubbish, adding more dev's with better management and planning can and would allow them to deliver more content. In every software company I worked for when we needed to pump out more work we hired more staff, what we didn't say is "too many cooks spoil the broth, I guess we just have to be satisfied with what we're able to produce"
    There is no denying that their management and planning could be better. Even just extending each raid tier by another month or 2, or something similar, would even out the time between new content. However, there's only so much they can do about hiring new developers. Everyone always throws out the "they could just hire more developers" line but completely forgets about other factors such as the number of people applying for those positions, whether or not those applicants meet the requirements, and so on. For example, 3 particularly important positions that have been open for quite some time now are: Senior Game Designer, Senior Software Engineer - Engine, and Senior Software Engineer - Server. Why these positions haven't been filled yet is anyone's guess but it shows that Blizzard isn't just sitting around. They are actively looking to add qualified people to the development team, they just haven't been able to find anyone yet.
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2014-07-31 at 06:57 PM.

It was pretty clear there was a severe disconnect between the people who said whats going to happen and the people who actually make things happen. I remember this exact conversation a few years ago as Cata was wrapping up. Game is approaching 8 years of age, why should content gaps be longer and longer people asked. It shouldn't developers said. And they went on this whole campaign of faster content and so forth. They tried to stick to that campaign slogan for most of MoP. Content was coming out faster than ever before, where I normally had a few months break between finishing raid tiers I found myself with just a couple of weeks. Then SoO came out and I guess they forgot they had to also release an entire expansion after that or something...

So yea, they should have spaced content out better. I think I remember reading a dev admit to that exactly. I also think this large expansion type cycle is not exactly sustainable for an aging game, people simply won't have the patience as they would have going into BC or Wrath. Smaller more frequent release of content is better in my opinion, but it also makes it more difficult to convince people to shell out 50$ every few years.
    Last edited by Skarzog; 2014-07-31 at 07:57 PM.

Deleted
    1 full year without any content patches leaves me worried, eather they have been working on wod all this time or have gotten lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    Are you a software developer with any meaningful experience in the game development field?
    Do i need any 'meaningful experience in the game development field' to conclude that year long content droughts are suboptimal?

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    Also, how was my post an "opinion piece" outside of the one thing that you took personally?
    I don't dispute any verifiable facts you talk about but the crux of you post is about judging the merit of another games patch. That is what is was referring to as an opinion piece. I suggest you have look again at what GW2 does in patches. Some are small and easily consumed but some are vast and add whole zones and multiple events. In a vacuum some of the bigger patches wow put out may top them but over the course of a year you are deluded if you think WoW puts out more content than GW2. I don't play the other games you referenced so can't comment on them.

For me i would rather have constant bite sized content every few weeks than wait 6 months to a year. I can appreciate that you would rather wait. Each to their own. Can you all so stop going on about my butt? Are you a proctologist irl?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people never evn finished t14 in normal, so..... blame skip mechanics that the content runs out so far....
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Most people never evn finished t14 in normal, so..... blame skip mechanics that the content runs out so far....
    Most people never finished tier 13, tier 10, tier 6 or all the other tiers in between as most people are not interested in doing so.

Deleted
    Blizzard gets excused because ''It's not that easy'' being a multi million company with only a few devs.

Please stop people, you are pushing Blizzard too hard.

Here is an idea, play some other games! REVOLUTIONARY right? :P

Im currently having a blast in Wildstar, also play shitloads of other games while i wait for WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I suggest you have look again at what GW2 does in patches. Some are small and easily consumed but some are vast and add whole zones and multiple events. In a vacuum some of the bigger patches wow put out may top them but over the course of a year you are deluded if you think WoW puts out more content than GW2.
    Uhm sorry, I'm generally with you saying that GW2 is one of the only competitors that still have something going for them, but looking at the Living Story season 2 releases until now I feel like ArenaNet streamlined a bit too much after season 1. I mean, look at it.

- 80% of the story missions are based around nonsense dialogues and cut scenes that can't be skipped.
    - Story mission mob fights are exactly what has been in the game for two years. Nothing new, no mechanics. Just new locations and maybe mobs. But not always.
    - Bosses in story missions might be new, but are clearly designed for groups, yet when you ask for help people tell you to do it alone. Great job communicating that.
    - Every patch is a horrid bug fest, do they even do internal testing anymore?
    - Latest patch was especially bad; all they did was sending you into the most faraway zones they found, either making you stuck in loading screens forever or slowly draining your pocket money, everywhere talk, talk, talk, then they send you to re-do group events that you already can't see anymore since they had been in the game for 2 years now (they didn't even care to remove the long known bugs from events in Frostgorge before making them mandatory), more talk, then you have to replay the Charr starting experience which has only been slightly re-imagined. All that while getting overrun by mobs that either take years to defeat or knock you out in two hits despite your hero having all shiny armor and weapons.
    - And then the rewards. They expect you to farm trees for weeks in old, uninteresting and remote zones or sink tons of gold which you usually don't have, they gate new crafting mats behind daily cooldowns, all just so that you can craft a back piece that doesn't have the looks or the use since we all already have ascended back pieces that we could even choose the stats for? How does that even make sense? I expect more. I expect things that haven't been there before.

Sorry but that's not what I expect from a game of that magnitude. That's clearly not what I'd like to see in WoW. I mean ok WoW has its problems but this is getting hilarious. I don't even want to play the Living Story anymore until a week after release, when either people are no longer bugging events out or bugs got fixed, which doesn't really happen.

At that point I'm really content with WoW since, when they release something, you have something to play. Not a visual novel with some basic interaction that had been there before, and maybe one new boss you can defeat once with no reward. OK WoW content also has bugs every now and then but there are generally less and they get fixed in a day. Doesn't take weeks - forever. Blizzard might take forever (highly subjective) to create content yes, but at least they don't stumble over their own feet with each and every release.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    At that point I'm really content with WoW since, when they release something, you have something to play. Not a visual novel with some basic interaction that had been there before, and maybe one new boss you can defeat once with no reward. OK WoW content also has bugs every now and then but there are generally less and they get fixed in a day. Doesn't take weeks - forever. Blizzard might take forever (highly subjective) to create content yes, but at least they don't stumble over their own feet with each and every release.
    You can like the way Blizzard does content. Fill your boots! You can even hate the content GW2 does. You have at least had the courtesy to try it first. When they take half a year+ to make content it will obviously be less buggy. It is all down to personal taste really. I personally would choose the GW2 content style all day.

Deleted
    How can someone claim better quality or lesser bugs of content that does not exist?

You can cherrypick the smallest patches you can find in other games, downplay and ignore their content as much as you can and call them small, worthless, bugridden, shallow, simple, quickly finished, repetitive and dead.

Any content they received is more and better at anything than nothing.

Remember you are now wating for a paid patch with the price of a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    People seem to underestimate how little 15 bucks are to a lot of people for a cool streamlined game to pay for a month. If it isn't to you...go for them f2p games. Seriously do.
    I also think it's ridiculous that we're looking at 15months of Siege and 27 months for this expansion. (When they claimed they were going to put one out in 18 even)

But yes, this. $15 is such a pittance, especially if you compare how many hours a month you play it compared to what other things you pay $15 for. That's one movie. 2 meals at a fast food place. One case of beer. Maybe 1/3 of a ticket to most pro sports team games, Etc. I have a feeling the whiners are teens or something. A modest job makes you $150+ a day. A salary position close to double that. $15 is nothing.

Deleted
    Blizzard doesn't have fans, they have slaves.
    No content for 1 year? - no problem, they will even defend Blizzard by saying how awesome is to wait.

Deleted
    All this from a troll post. At least he finally got banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Blizzard doesn't have fans, they have slaves.
    No content for 1 year? - no problem, they will even defend Blizzard by saying how awesome is to wait.
    For those of us with lives, no content for 1 year is actually a good thing. But I can imagine that people like you that just sit there waiting for the expansion to be released, a year can feel like a very long time.

pretty amazing that a sub based game can go 1 year without a single content update and still have that many players.