Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    With 9 billion people on the planet and only 30 million playing MMOs (of which 7 million play WoW) there certainly is a big enough market and enough choice...and don't bring in that tired argument how everyone is brainwashed and a fanboi and all that shit.
    I confess I actually chuckled at the underlined bit.

There's way over a 100 million people playing mmo's.

However, as a solution to more content? stop subbing - unless you have something to do, but I personally refuse to pay US$180 for a game per year that I even purchased the expansion / paid development for. Content has been very scarce and lack luster in my opinion. I just feed my nostalgia every two years for a month or two whenever the specials on expansions come out.

To each their own, however.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2014-08-03 at 10:33 AM.

It's probably a matter of weighing how much it will cost to increase the size of the team versus how many more subs they would get. Honestly, I doubt they would gain subs if there were more content patches. Then again, if I were Blizzard I would feel the need to satisfy my current customers. Especially if you're swimming in money.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I also think it's ridiculous that we're looking at 15months of Siege and 27 months for this expansion. (When they claimed they were going to put one out in 18 even)

But yes, this. $15 is such a pittance, especially if you compare how many hours a month you play it compared to what other things you pay $15 for. That's one movie. 2 meals at a fast food place. One case of beer. Maybe 1/3 of a ticket to most pro sports team games, Etc. I have a feeling the whiners are teens or something. A modest job makes you $150+ a day. A salary position close to double that. $15 is nothing.
    But 7 million lots of $15 is actually quite a lot. Even if some of them are Chinese, if 5 million of them are western subs, then that represents $75m a month in income. Enough money to make half a brand new AAA MMO from scratch. And they will be getting around 15 of those in a row without producing any new content. Over a billion dollars of income. And then when they finally do produce new content, they will be charging $50 for it; which means another $250m income from those (theoretical) 5 million western subs.

The issue I have with Blizzard isn't how much money they charge; it's what they do with that money. At the moment Blizzard represents a huge drain of cash from the pockets of MMO gamers into corperate bonuses and dividends. Imagine what the MMO market would be like if all that money being drained away went to content development instead? You could have a dozen wildly different, and profitable, MMOs available instead of one that thinks over a year with no content isn't a problem. WoW would still be able to make a profit with half a million subscribers, producing the same amount of content they do today. They just wouldn't be able to do it lazily any more, they would have to work to keep even those half a million with so much geniune competition.

That's the dream anyway, at least from where I am sitting.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Wait what? More developers are bad? Less content is good? Huh?

All you have to know is this. While WoW is a great mmo. All of the decisions are based on money being paramount.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its not possible to release content fast for MMO games or it will burn out players quick everyday becoming a catch up game.

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    Its not possible to release content fast for MMO games or it will burn out players quick everyday becoming a catch up game.
    So more content=burnout, and less content=no burnout????

Deleted
    so like, i'm sure this has bee said already,
    but why, are people, who complain so much about the release speed of blizzards new content for games, not playing the other games, and leave the people who enjoy blizz games, and dont have complaints alone?,

just food for thought is all,

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    So more content=burnout, and less content=no burnout????
    More content will be for kids who don't have a life or no jobs living off welfare will be great
    Less content will be for people who have jobs or families 3 hours of gaming a day

So it needs to be in the middle so the kids cancel subs while the adults are still playing trying to catch up on content

Deleted
    Love this post- The incorrect blithering fan base complains that there is not enough content being pushed out yet a few years back in WOTLK everyone was complaining about TOC and ICC coming out too fast and crushing ULDUAR. Apparently blizzard can never get anything right these days :/

More content will be for kids who don't have a life or no jobs living off welfare will be great
    Less content will be for people who have jobs or families 3 hours of gaming a day

So it needs to be in the middle so the kids cancel subs while the adults are still playing trying to catch up on content
    So people without day jobs are on welfare, and they decided they want to develop the game for people with day jobs and 3 hours of play time.

SUPER EPIC!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    So people without day jobs are on welfare, and they decided they want to develop the game for people with day jobs and 3 hours of play time.

SUPER EPIC!!!
    Like blizzard says they like to develop games for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Still have plenty of content to do. 10 years of it. Don't care about raiding.
    /facepalm

Yeah, especially when vanilla content is gone. Check wowpedia, there was this expansion called Cataclysm

/facefuckingpalm
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Like Blizzard does. They develop the game with profit as the highest priority. Every other decision is below that. Im not saying its a bad game, but to think otherwise is naive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because everyones wallet is relevant.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Isn't ironic that a company that has billions of dollars of revenue each year, pushes out content patches for their MMO at a rate slower than all the other companies making MMOs in the industry?

Now this is not a game vs game thread so dont turn it into that.

But its sad quite frankly that WoW has 1 year luls between content, and other games have awesome content being pushed out every two weeks, every month, or every other month (GW2, Rift, and SWTOR being a good example of this). The other sad thing is that these other games have free to play models.

So why pay for something when you can get more for free?
    They have run out of content because they now have a 30GB game what do the players want more ?!

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LennywBoreanTUndra View Post
    They have run out of content because they now have a 30GB game what do the players want more ?!
    Is this a joke?
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Because I don't find those combat systems fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    That toxicity is normal in WoW. Even classic. And it comes from this what so called elitism, spreading everywhere. Average player say that classic is piss easy and every aspect can be done with minimal effort. But right after that, the same player ignites with rage when someone wants to apply that minimal effort

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Isn't ironic that a company that has billions of dollars of revenue each year, pushes out content patches for their MMO at a rate slower than all the other companies making MMOs in the industry?

Now this is not a game vs game thread so dont turn it into that.

But its sad quite frankly that WoW has 1 year luls between content, and other games have awesome content being pushed out every two weeks, every month, or every other month (GW2, Rift, and SWTOR being a good example of this). The other sad thing is that these other games have free to play models.

Nah, it is however ironic and sad that you still care to make these threads.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    /facepalm

Yeah, especially when vanilla content is gone. Check wowpedia, there was this expansion called Cataclysm

/facefuckingpalm
    Which didn't remove Vanilla content; it altered it. And hell, not even all of it. Most of the original vanilla instances are, more or less, untouched.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Every time I see a topic like this, I just like to remind people of Guild Wars 2's first season of the Living Story.

Sure, GW2 got new "Content" every two weeks, but that content was often bug ridden and full of game breaking glitches that prevented progression, lasted a whole two-three hours in total before you started doing the bi-weekly achievement grind, and was so disconnected from one another it was barely passable as a story.

See, Anet did exactly what people want Blizzard to do now: Hire a bunch of developers, put them into four seperate, and chug out content every two weeks. The result , as I just stated, was a bi-weekly mess of buggy, horribly planned content. The development time was so strict and stringent that the teams literally had no time to talk to one another and find out what the other team was doing to tie the story together, it was basically four dev teams doing whatever the hell they wanted just to push the content out every two weeks.

Now tell me, do you really want that? Or would you rather Blizzard take their time, release polished content that's complete from day one, and something you can enjoy for months after? Let's also not forget that the one time Blizzard DID release a filler raid (Ruby Sanctum), people whined that it was a waste of time, and that Blizzard should have just focused on finishing Cataclysm more quickly.

The WoW community is one of biggest communities of gamers that, quite simply, don't know what the hell the want, and always find a way to complain to Blizzard even when they do precisely what they ask.

It is funny that free games have faster content generation than the biggest MMO out there. But the suits know what they are doing they know they can do this and receive little back lash in terms of lost revenue, Which is all that matters to suits. Losing some subs seems bed but if their revenue stays the same or grows, no one cares about people quitting WOW. SO the sheep continue to sub and buy the mounts and pets enabling Blizzard to keep being possibly the slowest content makers in the industry, despite all the resources.
    READ and be less Ignorant.