Poll: Do you tank because

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Do you tank because

As the poll suggests

I chose to play tank because it was very needed, stayed as a tank because I enjoyed it

11.05.2012 - 11.01.15 | 22.07.15 - Present

10+ Year Old Account
    I love tanking. I have one of each tanking class at 90, and a Dark Apotheosis warlock as well. I support any thing that will end with new tanking playstyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    The common practice in dungeons is: Take your time.

This frustrates me: whether it's a group of heirloomed players lvling, or lfr geared people, it's incomprehensible how tanks can move so slowly. It only indicates that you're at best an average tank. A good tank:

- Pull as much as possible: maximize aoe opportunities and cut time spent completing the dungeon;
    - Trash group at 20% hp: time to start moving, dps will finish;
    - No downtime: healer can drink while a tank pops cds, dps should CC whatever they have to CC (like silencing mobs and helping the tank pull more);
    - Last but not least: A tank that merely holds aggro is a decent tank....a good tank is someone who maximizes the team's overall damage (by pulling the biggest amount of adds the healer can handle), and moving fast and consistent (LoS pulls is something that 80% of the tanks don't do in dungeons.)

I guess I tank because most of dungeon tanks don't perform under the above guidelines, and that bores me to hell. If all tanks did that, I'd never tank in my life.
    Last edited by mmocac141d2a8a; 2014-07-31 at 05:55 PM.

i plaay bear coz i enjoy it only tank ive played and i have a ret and a frost dk

I (off-)tank because I like it. The off- position is much funnier though.

Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post

This frustrates me: whether it's a group of heirloomed players lvling, or lfr geared people, it's incomprehensible how tanks can move so slowly. It only indicates that you're at best an average tank. A good tank:

- Pull as much as possible: maximize aoe opportunities and cut time spent completing the dungeon;
    - No downtime: healer can drink while a tank pops cds, dps should CC whatever they have to CC (like silencing mobs and helping the tank pull more);
    - Last but not least: A tank that merely holds aggro is a decent tank....a good tank is someone who maximizes the team's overall damage (by pulling the biggest amount of adds the healer can handle), and moving fast and consistent (LoS pulls is something that 80% of the tanks don't do in dungeons.)

I guess I tank because most of dungeon tanks don't perform under the above guidelines, and that bores me to hell. If all tanks did that, I'd never tank in my life.
    Heaven forbid someone is new to the game.

OT: I tank because, as a healer main, I like to know what the tanks are dealing with so that I can help them better as a healer. I can see the damage patterns easier, where a good place to stand is, and when to use CDs because the tank will likely be out of his own. I enjoy tanking, but I only tank for these reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    During Vanilla through Wrath, I used to be a healer. I enjoyed the fact that I had a lot of control over who lived and who died (not in an evil way, mind you...) but it'd still take awhile to find groups if I wasn't with a guild group. I didn't like the fact that we were always waiting on one person - the tank - before anything got started. In the altoholic bliss that was Cataclysm, I decided to give tanking a go, and haven't looked back. I loved it from the get-go, and managed to get all classes that were capable of tanking (other than DK) to level cap just so I could enjoy tanking as much as possible from different viewpoints.

Once I heard about the new class (Monk) when MoP was announced, I knew I was going to try it once mists hit. I kept myself involved with the development of the expansion more than any other expansions just because brewmasters looked so. damn. cool.

Now, I can hardly find a reason to do anything on any of my other toons because monk tanking is so fun. I'm a little sad about the ability pruning; monks have the tools to deal with everything and I enjoy switching my talents from fight to fight depending on what is needed. I enjoy the amount of control I have over how much damage I'm able to tank. Yeah things have been tweaked here and there, and things are going to change, but I've never had as much fun tanking or playing this game as I have had during mists.

I know there's a lot of doom and gloom coming from a lot of negative people about warlords, but I think it's going to be a great expansion overall, and I like the direction blizzard is going in regards to tanking.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

10+ Year Old Account

I can't tell you how many tanks have caused endless wipes for doing the exact things that you say makes a good tank. To me, that is reckless and irresponsible. A good tank knows what they can and can't do, they don't try to race to the end of the instance as fast as possible when its not feasible.
    <Semi Retired> - Recruiting for 9.2!

Deleted
    I guess it's similar to why I prefer to heal in BG's.

It's quite convenient for one, the queue is practically instant, and I also set the pace of the dungeon, if anything, like others above say, I loathe not queuing as tank, as some non-hybrid thing, since both queue takes a long time, and the tank we're blessed with is so unjustifiably slow.

Then it moves on to raiding, where it's by far the most enjoyable role. I like how tanks work togheter, so the idea of solotanking is completely abhorrent to me!

I've yet to figure out why healers don't feel like they work togheter as much as tanks, though, I think it's like the "Just the Two of Us" from arena that made 2vs2 have a nicer feel than 3vs3.

I can't tell you how many tanks have caused endless wipes for doing the exact things that you say makes a good tank. To me, that is reckless and irresponsible. A good tank knows what they can and can't do, they don't try to race to the end of the instance as fast as possible when its not feasible.
    Good tanks always have a firm grasp on their limits. Guess it's like driving. Drive too fast, exceed speed limit, bite more than you can chew - you die. But you'll piss everyone off if you drive like an old lady. x3

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it. I wanted to be a tank since the beginning and I played blood before it was considered the only tanking spec.

That's a great way to tank if you're in a group with friends who want to do that. That's a terrible way to tank if you're undergeared, new to the content, or in a group with a new or undergeared healer.

Tanking > Healing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DPS

I like it.
    Been trying to roll dps for 2 expansions in a row without success, never enjoyed it enough to keep going.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordaen View Post
    Heaven forbid someone is new to the game.
    Yes, a tank with heroic gear is new to the game....or a person with heirlooms...Even if you're trying out the role for the first time, that doesn't apply to a large chunk of tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by silver9172 View Post
    So easy to loose the point....I'm not talking about moving TOO fast or pull TOO much. I'm talking about being fast and pull as much as the healer can handle. If you're pulling 2 mobs at a time when the healer is ilvl550, then you're not being a "good tank", you're just doing your job. This obviously doesn't apply to situations where the tank is undergeared, the healer is undergeared, or one of them lacks experience, but it was obvious people would ignore those parts of my post....

If more people had the Challenge Mode mentality (not only being fast completing a dungeon, but also making use of CC and being able to handle large pulls), dungeons would be way more fun.

Dps: do more damage, reduce your chances of dying;
    Healer: heal more and better, allow more damage to go on without letting someone die;
    tank: just...hold aggro.

Really? A progressing tank is a tank that not only knows mechanics, but knows when he can pull more, tank faster. Many raiding tanks still don't have the mentality that they can play better besides the "pop cds at the right time, move the boss at the right time, hold aggro". Not saying this is the golden rule, but many tanks have this "issue" (as a geared healer that like to spams dungeons, it's not rare to find geared but super slow tanks, which makes me pull half the dungeon by myself. As long as we don't wipe, I don't see why not).

As long you're not making people "min-maxing" or causing wipes, tanking faster is always the way to go imo. Whenever I do it (right ofc) I always get happy puggers saying "thanks for the fast run". Of course if I wipe my team due rushing I won't be a good tank.

PS: Now I'm actually curious as to what people think regarding tank being the role with less demands: not the easiest, but the role in which is hardest to differentiate tanks with different skills, because many players don't usually demand anything else from the tanks besides "hold aggro/position/pop cds when you have to".
    Last edited by mmocac141d2a8a; 2014-07-31 at 07:12 PM.

i tank because i dont trust others.

after experiencing vanilla waiting for tanks just to have them suck, i swapped to paladin tank in tbc. been tanking ever since. ill dps here and now to fill a raid spot roster, but ive always found tanking to be the most involved and role that doesnt put me to sleep

10+ Year Old Account
    I love being a tank & also cant stand slow tanks on LFD/LFR.

Deleted
    If the WoD dungeons will be the same as they are now, you wont be doing that in the dungeons. Most of them literally need to reg after every second trash pack, because there are no manareg spells anymore.

But right now, I agree with you, I hate it when people are slow as fuck as tanking

I've always loved tanking, as soon as I started doing it. The control over the pacing of the group felt good; it taught me a lot about playing well in group content moreso than when I was just DPSing. I had to learn the capabilities of everyone, not just my own class. Plus, they were amazing for running friends through old dungeons, chain-pulling everything, so I was able to help out a lot of friends when I rolled my first tank.

God I'd never tank if I had to do that sort of stuff all the time. Especially with the idea of DPS helping the tank to pull more. I like feeling in control when tanking. DPS doing my job for me always feels weird, even if mobs are misdirected onto me. Some stuff isn't bad, like LoS pulls, trying to be consistent and fairly quick, but chain-pulling at 20ish% life, literally zero downtime, and proper CC and the like. When I want to tank like that, I'll do Challenge Modes and attempt to get gold. Just going into a dungeon for some valor or the like doesn't require that. Why have the extra stress (especially when half of this stuff is assuming that your DPS and healer are on their A-game too)?

Never mind the fact that some people might not care to blaze through everything like the five minutes you've shaved off could be used incredibly meaningfully.

I like it. Initially tanked because I wanted to try it out and RAWR bears. Then my ICC 10 group needed a tank for our first Lich King kill. Been tanking on all tank classes with alts since then, only swapped to my main being a tank with MoP.

I'm also pretty picky about tanks, so I like to do it to help get the job done well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tank as my offspec for druid. I main tanked vanilla and BC. Honestly, it's not even fun to do anymore. Ever since wrath its just been a giant aoe fest of boredom. If I'm doing dungeons I'll que as balance and tank it by killing everything. I also tank on my pally, monk, war, dk, and lock. Lock tanking is pretty fun since its not a complete full fledged tank spec. I've also shaman tanked. I kinda like where monks are. I will say I do enjoy my pally tank for the aoe since they have so much of it. In terms of fun for tanks I'd say pally > lock > shaman > monk > druid > dk > war.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.