Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Pay to win Hearthstone

I just want to start off by saying Hearthstone is a great game, also very addictive, but Since I ave no intention of buying packs I don't have any rare cards. Most of the people I go up against have some rare cards. I pretty much play a Mage deck but have tried them all. I am not claiming to be an expert player yet, I can't seem to get past level 20. I win 2 lose 1 win 2 lose 1 you get the idea. I would love to hear suggestions for me or your thoughts on this game is pay to win. On a side note mage weapon damage of 1 I feel isn't equal to all the other weapons. Any thoughts on speeding up parts of the game, or say lose 1 health if you don't end your turn on time. I hate having trolls that wait til it runs out every turn. I no I went on a tangent of different aspects of the game, but I am getting frustrated.

Mages dont have weapon damage?!

Also, its been proven time and time again you dont need to pay to win in hearthstone, paying only gets you cards, but unless you can use them the their best you wont get anywhere.

You can actually do well without buying packs, and you can, provided you play enough, earn packs on a much longer route.

I've bought maybe, 15 packs with real money, but the rest of my collection... (have every card, minus about 3/4 legendaries) have been earnt by playing the game.. or doing Arena.

Arena is one of the best ways to get card packs, the better you do, the better you get basically. Patience is key if you are a new player, although i would suggest to check out Trumps streams or guides(i think he does some). He's done alot with free to play decks, meaning stuff you can get as soon as you enter the game. this should give you an insight of how well you can do with those decks.

But again, the more you play, the better you will get, and the bigger your card selection will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a card game. Collectable card games require you to buy packs to get more cards, it's how the genre works, both digital CCGs and TCGs. Best thing to do is look up good basic decks online, and try and work round them to suit how you like to play.

Fantastic Signature made by Maybenotquiteasheavy

It's pay to convenience. Certainly not a requirement.

While Legend is totally obtainable without ever buying packs by good players, you're talking about Rank 20, which suggests the problem lies in your play or deck building. The free cards absolutely allow for easy winning well past Rank 20 with decent play and deck building.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2014-07-31 at 10:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodey View Post
    I just want to start off by saying Hearthstone is a great game, also very addictive, but Since I ave no intention of buying packs I don't have any rare cards. Most of the people I go up against have some rare cards. I pretty much play a Mage deck but have tried them all. I am not claiming to be an expert player yet, I can't seem to get past level 20. I win 2 lose 1 win 2 lose 1 you get the idea. I would love to hear suggestions for me or your thoughts on this game is pay to win. On a side note mage weapon damage of 1 I feel isn't equal to all the other weapons. Any thoughts on speeding up parts of the game, or say lose 1 health if you don't end your turn on time. I hate having trolls that wait til it runs out every turn. I no I went on a tangent of different aspects of the game, but I am getting frustrated.
    If you want guides, Trump does a lot of wins with F2P decks that can easily net you some points in ranked games. You don't have to buy cards, you can accumulate them over time with the gold you get.

Mage Weapon Power I assume you mean the Hero Power? It is equal in comparison to the other hero powers in that for 2 mana, you control 1 damage without any repercussions, unlike Rogue who has to attack an enemy, a Druid who takes some damage reduced by 1 or even a Hunter whose damage is only for the Hero. The control is the important aspect of the Mage hero power, you are able to ping off smaller minions without having to take damage from attacking them.

Oh look another new player complaining it's p2w. How fascinating.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Oh look another new player complaining it's p2w. How fascinating.
    Pretty much this. When I started hearthstone I used a free to play priest deck and got to rank 15, using cards only that I got from the free gold that you get from the various hearthstone achievement system, although 15 isn't good at all, it shows you can actually climb with free cards.

Thanks everyone that is good feedback. Yea i meant hero power. I don't know the lingo yet i guess. I have tried arena and maybe win 2 game. Getting the gold for the arena is tough. I have done arena about 5 times, so i don't have much dust to make cards. I have won 138/500 and mage is level 44. I have spend quite a bit of time playing and have learned a lot but lots more to learn. I am sure my game play has a big factor in it, but when someone lays down a Leroy Jenkins, Azure drake, Ragnaros, I kind of die inside. I have also tried basic decks and it only seems like I am good with mages.

Mages do have one of, if not the best free to play deck if im not mistaken, since they have relatively strong class cards, especially for board control.

Thing is, if you have actually played that many games, you should also be investing in card packs too, to make your deck better.. you could perhaps check out some budget mage decks, and disenchant/craft cards that you need to make one of the decks, this could potentially give you a bit of a better winrate.

All decks can be improved in some way to suit your own play style, its just figuring out how to improve it

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks everyone that is good feedback. Yea i meant hero power. I don't know the lingo yet i guess. I have tried arena and maybe win 2 game. Getting the gold for the arena is tough. I have done arena about 5 times, so i don't have much dust to make cards. I have won 138/500 and mage is level 44. I have spend quite a bit of time playing and have learned a lot but lots more to learn. I am sure my game play has a big factor in it, but when someone lays down a Leroy Jenkins, Azure drake, Ragnaros, I kind of die inside. I have also tried basic decks and it only seems like I am good with mages.
    I sure hope you're not wasting your Polymorphs and Fireballs on crap minions, and THEN complaining when someone drops a Rag...
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

The timer is fine. If they let the time run out every turn, their next turn is much shorter. No need to lose any health. I only ever see people letting the timer almost expire every turn is in casual or in the lower ranks. Besides those people though, some turns will take time to determine the best move/s to make. I think it is fine the way it is. If it really is a problem for you, look into crafting Nozdormu - players only have 15 seconds to take their turn. (This is definitely not the best thing for you to do since you don't have many rates or epics yet, but it is an entertaining card.)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    The timer is fine. If they let the time run out every turn, their next turn is much shorter.
    The only issue I see with it is all it takes is for them to press the end turn right before the fuse ends.

Also stick to mage for now I'd suggest like others have said, they have pretty strong basic cards.

Also some quests that you can probably knock out to get a few packs, or the dust for the fir(This quests aren't repeatable, unlike the daily quests, and I'm just linking the few simple ones that you might not have by now)

1)Crafting Time Disenchant a card. 95 arcane dust
    2) Ready to Go! Unlock every Hero. 100 gold
    3)Crushed Them All! Defeat every Expert AI Hero. 100 gold

Here's the list of them all, but not all of them are very helpful to you right now.
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest#Unique_quests

Be creative with your hero power. Oddly enough, mage hero power having the ability to hit your own minions is what makes if such a great hero power. Activate some enrages, ping for card draw......I guess thats about it lol, but you get the picture.

Deleted
    Hrhm, this discussion again?

Trying to answer to your points:

Pay2Win:
    - It's a collectible card game, they all operate by design with "pay to win" model. Most of them won't even let you play without paying, but Hearthstone has a bit more accessible model. "Pay to win" (or whatever you want to call it) is just fine and accepted. That's how this shit works. This pops up often, I recommend you search the forum and read through some of those countless other threads if you want the gory details.
    - Yes, it's hard to be competitive on the ranked ladder without buying packs, but it can be done. There are quite a few "free to play legend" videos on youtube and twitch.
    - Buying packs speeds up your game, gives you the convenience of not having to grind dust - and it gets you to your desired legendaries much faster. That's about it. It's not a 100% win button.
    - The game is fairly well balanced, but the balance bends to follow the meta game, so some decks just won't do very well unless they have at least some counters to whatever meta that particular rank has.
    - You can always play Arena if you want level playingfield

Mage:
    - The mage hero power is just fine - all the hero powers have their strengths and weaknesses.

How to win more:
    - Win 2 - Lose 1 isn't bad for someone who isn't "expert player yet", it's still a positive win ratio. I'm not sure what you'd expect? Winning all the time as a newcomer without any cards? I don't think that would make very compelling game in the long run.

Speeding up turns:
    - The speeding up turns has been discussed quite a lot as well, but the fact is, higher up in the ladder, you sometimes really want to spend all that time thinking out your move. I personally think it's fine as it is. Sometimes people like to troll and sit out the timer, but it's as much waste of their time as it is my time, so I'm not sure who wins in the end.

- Line breaks, they're good.
    Last edited by mmocdd602b3b80; 2014-08-01 at 06:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is Heathstone what they mine to make Heath bars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

i only read your topic title and not your whine post.

i started playing in the last week of beta.
    i did not buy any card or arena runs or anything els. everything i got i earned with playing.

i got ragnaros (crafted)
    i got ysera (crafted)
    i got sylvanas,tinkmaster(2x), black knight and baron geddon from a card pack.
    i got the beast, hogger also from a pack but disenchanted.

many epic cards earned from packs. but also several crafted.

i only spend ingame gold that is earned ingame.
    last season i got to rank 8 and could have gone higher if i played more.

sure there are a few cards i would really like still. or second. but i just have to be lucky with it.
    Last edited by Frizzlewits; 2014-08-01 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

I have plenty of rare cards and have only bought 2 packs (and that was in Beta for the golden legendary gelbin) -- do the dailies, do arenas, look up good rare/epic/legendary free decks and stop whinging
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Source)
    Paladin chat and whispers now appear with sparkles.
    We have officially changed the name of the "rogue" class to “rouge.”
    All dungeon & raid bosses now have legs. If they already had legs, they got more legs.

Deleted
    MoneyStone :^)

this game is not p2w, i have trouble doing the daily because i lack many cards but i still managed to get to rank 16 last season with mostly free cards and couple of blues.

my suggestion is to not play every day, log each day to get new daily then after 2-3 days do them all at once.

4 days ago i got win 5 times with paladin and win 2 times with paladin, i won 2 times and left the quest.

today i got quest win 3 games so i finished the 3 wins needed for paladin quest, its more efficent and will annoy you less as you gather gold.
    Last edited by Archimand; 2014-08-01 at 01:29 PM.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

I have never paid a dime on this game and I've been legend rank for two seasons (and the only two I cared to try). I don't even play all that much.

I don't know where people get the notion that HS is anywhere near P2W. It's the least P2W card game (CCG or TCG) I've ever played.
    Last edited by Irian; 2014-08-01 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo