Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I'm really of the opinion that you should do what you need to do for you. Not saying don't be considerate, but I don't think asses need to be kissed and reassured. Some people won't like it, some will won't be bothered. Can't really control that, so just do what you need to do, imo.
    You have an odd standard for what kissing ass is. There's nothing wrong with informing your guild politely of your plans. Its called be mature and responsible nothing more nothing less.

Deleted
    Listen to your heart. Bad blood, unless genuinely comming from a series breach of etiquete is a way of making someone feel guilty, form of manipulation.

I don't believe it would. I left a guild that I was a part of through Vanilla and BC for a different guild to progress faster in Wrath. Just be honest about your intentions and let them know. Some people may get upset but in the end staying somewhere you don't really want to be would cause problems vs just leaving on an honest note.

From my personal experience it was just being open and honest about it. I wanted to progress differently then they did. Happy still being friends and hanging out and doing stuff but I wanted to raid with a different team. I gave them advance notice of it (not that you have too) just because I was one of the tanks at the time and didn't want to cripple them with no replacement. Some people were upset but I was able to keep a good relationship with most of them. The few who still play today I still chat with. They have since moved on to other guilds themselves.

Anyways like everyone has said, since your going back to your original guild if your honest and open there shouldn't be an issue. If you intend to stay with the new guild because you really enjoy being with them then don't hide it and make sure you tell your old guild.
    Last edited by Imus; 2014-08-04 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayAndEm View Post
    Listen to your heart. Bad blood, unless genuinely comming from a series breach of etiquete is a way of making someone feel guilty, form of manipulation.
    This. If you're not content where you are now then take your leave. In the end it is you who matters most, nothing comes from holding back on behalf of others while being frustrated over them, and if it creates bad blood then chances are your relationship wasn't the best to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheros View Post
    There's nothing wrong with informing your guild politely of your plans. Its called be mature and responsible nothing more nothing less.
    I'd decide that based on how you have been treated in the guild. If you were on good terms then consider telling them in advance, but don't let them sway you. Again, if they explode over it, that's your confirmation that moving on is indeed the correct thing to do.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-08-04 at 03:30 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    Chances in favour of them getting pissy. Never underestimate the pettiness of people.
    I actually agree with this based on past experiences.

Most recently, I was in a guild on a dying server for 1-1.5 years. Really liked the people, but at some point they decided the server was too dead and they wanted to server transfer. I was excited to go, but couldn't really afford to move, so my guild leader offered to pay for my transfer. Had really figured more of the guild would move, but in the end only a handful did. About three months time passes, I am generally the only one ever online in my guild, there's never anyone to talk to or do things with...the guild leader himself only logs on once every two weeks to check auctions. Tried to get ahold of him, but he never responded and was just pretty much completely AWOL. So I figured, I'd join another guild on the server with that main character since I had other characters still in my old guild.

In short, my guild leader FREAKED. I've never seen someone react like that. We ended up having a huge argument in which I removed or had all of my characters removed from the guild still on the old server, the guild on the new server, and me removing him from realID and putting every single one of his characters on ignore.

It's completely possible your guild would be okay with it, but like I said, if you like the new raid team, you probably will end up not going back to the old guild, no matter how good your intentions are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    Umm, I wouldn't worry about bad blood in your current guild - I would worry about bad blood from the guild you're basically using like a hooker for the rest of the expansion and then throwing in the trash for WoD.

If a new guild does you the favor of helping you keep enjoying the game and clearing content for the next 5+ months, you probably owe them the courtesy of playing w/ them in WoD. If you don't want to do that, then stick with your shitty Inactive guild.
    Absolutely this. If they don't know that you're intending only to stay until WoD launches they're rightly going to be offended when they find out. They could have been recruiting for someone who will stay in the spot you're taking up, and you could be hindering their progression at the start of the expansion. It's also a great way of making sure you won't get to go back to them if your old guild stops raiding again or folds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosstafa View Post
    Tell them what you're doing out of respect, but they have no reason to not be okay with it. If the progression raiding has stopped, it's not fair to expect you to stay put and wait until it starts up again, and that doesn't always happen.

Honesty s the best policy, and that includes the new guild you're joining. Tell them your intentions.
    Indeed.

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    "calmly reassured" including the same phrases here like "lost his mind" and "nonsensical reasoning". If half the guild suddenly disappeared under a new banner, and 'told everyone' behind the guildleader's back, I'd probably be looking to replace a few people too.
    But it wasn't half the guild, it was 4 alt toons that weren't in the progression group, lol. We had about 15 members who were on almost every single day, 10 of our mains were in the progression group. None of those mains were dropped from the guild.

My point was that sometimes Guild Leaders can have a God complex and become unreasonable even if you have no ulterior motive.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmigration View Post
    But it wasn't half the guild, it was 4 alt toons that weren't in the progression group, lol. We had about 15 members who were on almost every single day, 10 of our mains were in the progression group. None of those mains were dropped from the guild.

My point was that sometimes Guild Leaders can have a God complex and become unreasonable even if you have no ulterior motive.
    Some guild masters enjoy the income from a good active alt.

About as much bad blood as a video game can create.
    once upon a long time ago, the evil flesh overlords took over the peaceful skeleton people of earth, giving them malicious thought and evil sinner hair and student loans

With cross realm raiding open in SoO you can still raid while in your current guild.

If you're set on leaving the guild then give everyone the heads up first. Give them a week or two to know whats going on and find replacements if necessary. You'd be surprised how little bad blood there is as long as you handle the situation like an adult and don't screw people over.

Deleted
    If they really think that - because they decided to take a break - you should also twiddle thumbs till WoD... well, I wouldn't want to raid with people like that tbf.

If you leave you shouldn't expect to come back at the snap of a finger.

I've had plenty of raiders in the past take a break once the guild was doing nothing but 1-night farm clears, and they almost never had a spot once the expansion rolled out.

The same holds true for switching guilds, I would just consider your old guild dead and find a guild for SoO and into WoD

It's also sort of shitty to join a guild with full intentions of leaving that guild when WoD comes out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remery View Post
    So that I can continue to progress in the meantime while everyone else is inactive but I will rejoin them to progress in WoD? The progressions group stopped awhile ago and now there's literally nothing to do so I found another guild who is a little behind (one boss) but it would mean I would get to progress again. I'm afraid if I leave they may not like it and perhaps replace me even though I'm already part of the team for WoD.
    not if you are mature about it. Tell someone, say its just not working, you play for fun and whilst you like the people, the guild is just not working for you. Put people you like in friends (if not already), and try to end it in a good way, bridges intact.

If they dont accept that, fuck em. People move on, guilds have to accept that.

though I think you shoudl explain that you wont be stickign with your new guild to them, they could feel justifiably aggrieved if you use them then quit back to your old guild, You'll get a bad rep that way, and it can matter.

But if you leave, you leave. You take your chances of going back or not. They cant rely on you deciding to turn up again, they will have to make other arrangements. You may find your spot gone, and that woudl be perfectly reasonable of them. so you cant count on both eating your cake and having it also.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-08-04 at 11:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    If you tell them your plan, they will probably agree and be cool, but will also by very skeptical of you actually returning. They might even plan that you won't. If you come back, though, you will be a hero.
    100% this. Just be honest. Though it's not a great place to be in because if you decide to leave your current guild and don't return, they'll think badly of you, whether they get outright pissy or not, you're still "that guy who left". If you leave the guild you're joining, they'll probably think badly of you as you were "that guy who took x piece of gear over y member who's 'actually part of the guild'" or other such scenarios.
    You can't really win.
    So basically ask yourself, which would you rather do and do you actually care that much about what others think? (it might come back to bite you in the ass, it might not). Somebody will be upset about something as they always are when people decide to leave. You might not be alone in wanting to continue raiding/progressing - did your current guild stop because you bled members (either outright quits or burnout or whatever) or because they 'mutually agreed' to go on break?

Deleted
    What´s the point in leaving your guild?

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    "calmly reassured" including the same phrases here like "lost his mind" and "nonsensical reasoning". If half the guild suddenly disappeared under a new banner, and 'told everyone' behind the guildleader's back, I'd probably be looking to replace a few people too.

to be fair though, if you're only looking to continue progressing with another raid group, and your guild has stopped raiding for this expac, you don't need to change guilds at this point... you can simply find a regular spot in someone else's raid. (telling the appropriate guildies first, of course)

from a raidleader/guildleader perspective, i'd be a little dubious about people that 'fully intend to come back in a couple months' ...... (so long as things don't work out better in this new guild in the meantime)... Should you really be counting on this person to suddenly come back into the fold after being absent for a good chunk of time ? or should you mark them down as 'tentative' in the roster, and recruit to fill the spot ?
    Even as a guild leader it is not wise to create bad blood between you and your members. Alts rarely get into the main progression raid anyways, it's not really even a loss.

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with someone raiding with another guild during inactive times. I would just like them to let me know if they are coming back to the team at least a month prior to resuming a raiding schedule. That will give plenty of time to find a replacement if we need it.

So that I can continue to progress in the meantime while everyone else is inactive but I will rejoin them to progress in WoD? The progressions group stopped awhile ago and now there's literally nothing to do so I found another guild who is a little behind (one boss) but it would mean I would get to progress again. I'm afraid if I leave they may not like it and perhaps replace me even though I'm already part of the team for WoD.
    Think about this.

A) If they want to replace you, you're already in a new guild.
    B) If they want to keep you, you've got options if you find a better guild.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That depends on the guild, I did that and the GM freaked out on me but it was for the best because it showed me how much of a loser he was.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Bad blood?
    You need to have a more mercenary approach to the situation.

And if someone wants bad blood, then you gonna do this the old way!
    Last edited by mmoc96b81ade63; 2014-08-05 at 12:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll start with the short answer first. Will it create bad blood? Yes. Is that sometimes worth it? Yes.

If you leave any group you've been with, there will always be feelings of abandonment, whether they are deserved or not. Generally speaking, people don't like change, and you leaving would be change. That's natural and expected. But it is worth noting that this is a game, and more importantly, a game in which you can keep in contact with literally anyone else playing it. If you are in a situation that isn't fun, staying with it is commendable loyalty, but also a waste of your time and money. At what point do you log into an empty quest log and raid lockout before enough is enough?

You say your guild is mostly inactive, and you want to progress. Well, you saw the announcement; WoD is coming at you like a freight train. There is no more time to delay progression on SoO. If your guild won't help, find one that will. If they really don't play that much, they cannot fault you for finding people who do, in a game.