Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Thoughts on joining and not finishing?

I recently re-subbed, and wanted to get back into raiding. My guild wasn't very active, but I did have a group of friends I raided with before my subscription ran out. I asked them if there were any open spots in the group, but there were not.

The only things I need from normal SoO were a trinket from Galakras, and a Garrosh kill (I know the fight very well, but the rest of the groups I've been in have wiped over 30 times, according to Deadly Boss Mods), heirloom, mount, and title.

Instead, I joined a pug 10-man Normal SoO in OQ at Galakras for the trinket. We were telling jokes before it started, and everybody was friendly with each other having a good ol' time. We wiped once, because the people on the ground didn't interrupt the fractures on Lor'themar in time (I was in tower group), then the next one went very smoothly and we beat Galakras. It didn't drop the trinket, and I got gold from the bonus roll. I didn't want to be rude and just quit without a word, so I said something like "Thanks for the invite, it's getting late and I got to get to bed. Good luck, and good night all "

After I said that, someone said "wait," and I said "Yes?"

I was bombarded by insults from at least 5 of the other group members, "scum-sucker" being the kindest.

I said something like "Sorry, but I don't want to stay when I'm not going to get anything out of it, and we won't get to Garrosh before I'm too tired."

Two more insults were thrown my way before I was able to leave the group, and one more in /whisper format before I was able to hearth out of the raid.

I was willing to run the whole raid with my friends, because they're my friends, and it's fun to raid with them. I was not willing to stay the whole time with a bunch of strangers when I wasn't going to get anything I needed anyway. It is pretty late, and I didn't want to wipe a bunch, racking up repair bills, and spending the next few hours raiding before I quit anyway out of tiredness.

They asked me to wait before leaving. They went out of their way to insult me.

(I was also a DPS, 4th place in Recount, and thus easily replaced).

What do you think? Was I wrong?

Deleted
    Wrong to leave? No, not really.

Wrong to join? Definitely.

^ That. While no one can force someone else to stay until the end of a run, joining and leaving in the middle of it (bar any unexpected emergency circumstances) is rather rude and selfish. Now the PuG you were in have to look for someone else (will be hard, seeing you said it was late) to finish an already-in-progress ID, and hope that "someone else" won't leave when he has nothing to loot anymore later. Congratulation, there is a (low, since you are DPS) chance you just ruined a raid week for 9 other people.

If you think you cannot stay until the end, don't join it. I'd understand if the run sucked terribly, but for sleep... you are in control of your regular schedule (sleep, work, etc.), just take those into account next time.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2014-07-30 at 06:08 AM.

You were rude and people were rude to you in return. I don't see the question.

I can see why they'd be annoyed, but honestly that's just overkill. They acted immature instead of handling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    ^ That. While no one can force someone else to stay until the end of a run, joining and leaving in the middle of it (bar any unexpected emergency circumstances) is rather rude and selfish. Now the PuG you were in have to look for someone else (will be hard, seeing you said it was late) to finish an already-in-progress ID, and hope that "someone else" won't leave when he has nothing to loot anymore later. Congratulation, there is a (low, since you are DPS) chance you just ruined a raid week for 9 other people.

If you think you cannot stay until the end, don't join it. I'd understand if the run sucked terribly, but for sleep... you are in control of your regular schedule (sleep, work, etc.), just take those into account next time.
    I see. I was the last addition to the group, and two attempts later, I imagine that the wait list had at least a few applicants.

Is it common practice to join for something from the first boss, only taking 10-20 minutes at most, then staying 4-5 additional hours (they weren't that great, they wiped a few times before I joined, so there would probably be more to come) when you will get nothing you need?

I would only have been able to stay for about an hour longer at most, since I had work early the next day (it wasn't too too late, only 9:30-ish).

10+ Year Old Account
    In the case of normal/heroic style lockouts, it's incredibly rude to join a raid as you did while intending to leave after you kill a boss partway through. In Flex/LFR it's easy to handle, as the content requires much less from the players, bosses can be repeat killed, you have split instance queues and in the case of LFR it autofills anyway. In normal, they then have to seek another player with sufficient gear (harder than it is for flex) who hopefully won't waste any more of their time. If they get a string of people with goals similar to yours, then they're left playing "fill the raid again" after every boss or two which wastes a ton of time and can result in even more people who would have stuck around getting sick of it and leaving too.

If you only want to participate up to Galakras next time, inform the raid leader first so that they can decide whether they're fine with it, else, don't bother joining unless you're willing to commit bar any emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    I see. I was the last addition to the group, and two attempts later, I imagine that the wait list had at least a few applicants.

Is it common practice to join for something from the first boss, only taking 10-20 minutes at most, then staying 4-5 additional hours (they weren't that great, they wiped a few times before I joined, so there would probably be more to come) when you will get nothing you need?

I would only have been able to stay for about an hour longer at most, since I had work early the next day (it wasn't too too late, only 9:30-ish).
    Personally, if I only needed something from one boss I wouldn't even bother because I know I would lock myself into staying as long as possible, but it's not uncommon sadly for people to just drop after a boss without a word, hence why I think they were immature about it, at least you told them rather than ninja logging. Also it's not like you were a tank or a healer, DPS are usually pretty simple to replace.

Probably would of been better to just whisper the raid leader saying something came up, and see if they happened to have a backup. It's a little lie technically, although some people could consider sleep something coming up.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2014-07-30 at 06:18 AM.

I guess I just wasn't feeling super nice about raid groups. I'd been in 4 groups previously that day trying to get Galakras, only for a tank to leave before we started, wait for 20 minutes looking for another, then the whole group falls apart and I start over again. Being a DPS, I figured it would be easy for them to replace me, it being a friday night.

It's not about you, it's about the 9 other people that assumed. Sure they assumed, though quite frankly, you joined under false pretenses. It's the main contributing factor in why I don't do organized raiding. I don't want people to count on me in a video game.

They counted on you. Unless you made it clear this how you wanted to raid, but from the way you describe, which is doubtful. You took advantage of that raid group. You know it. Now you want people to side with you, because you feel, and should, guilty.

Eh, it happens. I wouldn't sweat too much over it personally. Although prepare the flame suit if this thread takes off :P

And next time just remember what happened this time.

Mmk. I guess I'm the only one who would rather not waste hours and hours wiping and getting nothing in return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmk. I guess I'm the only one who would rather not waste hours and hours wiping and getting nothing in return.
    Think about it this way: what if some of the players in that raid only needed something from Garrosh themselves?

I guess I just wasn't feeling super nice about raid groups. I'd been in 4 groups previously that day trying to get Galakras, only for a tank to leave before we started, wait for 20 minutes looking for another, then the whole group falls apart and I start over again. Being a DPS, I figured it would be easy for them to replace me, it being a friday night.
    Yup, you feel guilty. We aren't your local priest so you can repent and confess. WTF did you think you were going to get out of this?

It's not that, it's that like I said personally I wouldn't even bother if I knew I'd only aim for one boss, I wouldn't be wasting any time at all.

You shouldn't join something if you don't have enough time to do the whole thing, you make the other 9 people wait around trying to find a replacement, and it's harder because it's no longer a fresh run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's not that, it's that like I said personally I wouldn't even bother if I knew I'd only aim for one boss, I wouldn't be wasting any time at all.
    Yeah, that wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the people getting mad at me. (I wasn't aware that this was such a touchy subject. Yee-ikes)

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Yup, you feel guilty. We aren't your local priest so you can repent and confess. WTF did you think you were going to get out of this?
    A civilized and polite discussion, for one, but I guess that's too much to ask of the internet.
    Last edited by Koryn123; 2014-07-30 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have the right to leave when you wish, least maybe you were friendly about leaving.
    Although it is very rude to leave mid raid. Even if you get nothing out of it...
    The point of the raid is getting people together to work together to clear the content.Not to just use them for 1 boss/item you need then leave. If loots all that you care about, stay in LFR/Flex... The other 9 helped to get that boss down, which means they helped you in a chance at what item you wanted, don't you think you should be kind enough to stay and help them get items off other bosses?? When joining a raid you commit yourself for the whole duration, unless emergency or time is really an issue (like that 1 hour you had left, use it), it's abusing the system of people's trust, and many people wonder why PuG's are hell...

Hmm. Well, I'll take that into consideration next time. As long as the people aren't super wipey, I might stay from now on.

Yeah, that wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the people getting mad at me. (I wasn't aware that this was such a touchy subject. Yee-ikes)
    You're like the guy getting pissed off, while flipping someone off, for slamming on the horn at you, because you ran a red. Then have the audacity to come some place to bitch about it. Like I asked, WTF did you expect?

(Which happened to me the other day, and I'm still rather sore about it.)