Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Gigabyte didn't take very long to make a announcement.

This bit right here caught my eye.

Now that could make things interesting
    That is incredibly interesting.

If we're looking at two of them, what kind of gains should we expect, if any, over the 780ti?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    More black and red? :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post

If we're looking at two of them, what kind of gains should we expect, if any, over the 780ti?
    One 880 will certainly not perform as well as one 780ti. But SLI opens up its own can of worms...not all games support it, and not all games that do support it work well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post

Check the purported 3D mark leak I posted on the previous page. Average 780 Ti and 290X scores are around 5000-5200 Graphics marks in Fire Strike Extreme, the suggestion is that the leaked card stats are from a 880 Ti, which is getting 6578 in Fire Strike Extreme. Gamescom will probably bring genuine scores. If 6578 is true, it's an insane leap up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    One 880 will certainly not perform as well as one 780ti. But SLI opens up its own can of worms...not all games support it, and not all games that do support it work well with it.
    Oh, I certainly understand that. I'm just curious especially with GB saying 450W is should be enough for 2 cards how much better 2 of them would be in comparison with 1 (assuming the 4-500 cost is accurate) 780ti. I'm sure we'll see in the coming months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Check the purported 3D mark leak I posted on the previous page. Average 780 Ti and 290X scores are around 5000-5200 Graphics marks in Fire Strike Extreme, the suggestion is that the leaked card stats are from a 880 Ti, which is getting 6578 in Fire Strike Extreme. Gamescom will probably bring genuine scores. If 6578 is true, it's an insane leap up.
    It will be cool to see, no doubt. The ti version will probably bring a good chunk of money for those scores though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    NVIDIA greatly improved the cache functionality in the Maxwell generation cards, which means it has to hit the memory far less than in previous generations, and as such the memory bandwidth itself is much less of a bottle neck. This has already been proven on the 750/750Ti Maxwell cards.

I would wait for actual numbers before condemning their choices already.
    This.

A wider bus is not needed, as witnessed in the 750Ti, it has a 128 bit bus and still hangs with the R7-265 by AMD with a 256 bit bus.

I am curious to see it when it hits the shelves. Im glad they are coming out before the end of the year.

Deleted
    Way too early for me.. I'm going to upgrade in 2015 when Oculus Rift gets released. It's probably too early for 980 then and 880 will already be old

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Way too early for me.. I'm going to upgrade in 2015 when Oculus Rift gets released. It's probably too early for 980 then and 880 will already be old
    Maybe too early, maybe not. Though it's pure speculation at the moment, check the bolded bit.

Is NVIDIA planning to launch GeForce 900M series soon?

According to multiple reports, NVIDIA will unveil its GM204 graphics processor somewhere in the next two months. There is a good reason to believe it will happen in just few weeks, however, as long as we cannot confirm it, we are just going to assume there’s a 2 months time-frame planned for the launch.

Cloudfire, a member of NotebookReview forums, has recently gathered some information from notebook manufacturers regarding their future products. A good example of such product is yet announced gaming notebook equipped with GeForce GTX 980M. It is no secret that next mobile flagship card will be equipped with Maxwell GPU, what is surprising though, is that NVIDIA is skipping GeForce 800M(X) series, and jumping straight to 900 series.

Why it doesn’t make sense

NVIDIA has not yet released its desktop 800 series, so why would they release mobile 900M and desktop 800 series altogether? Unless I missed something, this has not happened before.

Why it does make sense

As long as it doesn’t make logical sense, it does seem to be practical. NVIDIA has only released one Maxwell mobile card so far (GTX 860M), which was available in two variants (Kepler and Maxwell). The introduction of second generation Maxwell would be the perfect reason to start a new series, entirely based on Maxwell.

The GM204 is not exactly enthusiast-grade GPU (we have some news coming this week), but it will do just fine as mobile processor.

Does it mean desktop 900 series are closer than we thought?

Here is my thought, what if desktop 800 series are simply based on GM204, while GeForce 900 series will kick off with GM200 few months later (Q1 2015)? Of course, this just my idea, but make sure to leave your thoughts in comments too.

According to the leaker, notebooks equipped with GeForce GTX 980M will start shipping in October.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-08-04 at 01:54 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Maybe too early, maybe not. Though it's pure speculation at the moment, check the bolded bit.
    Pretty sure the 900m series will just be a mobile version of the 860~880 GTX series, as the current 800m series are basically a rehash of the 700m series.

Deleted
    Let's hope that's the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it seems 880 is going to perform similarly to 780 Ti, and for almost half the price? Is it even possible? Why would NVidia sell the card for such a low price then?

If it is really this way, then I might just lose one of my main headaches of the latest weeks: whether to buy one card or SLI for my new PC on Christmas. I guess, if 2x880 will have almost the same price as one 780 Ti, then there is no question what to prefer.

10+ Year Old Account
    These days, what I care about is noise and heat. Unfortunately these are not standard benchmark metrics, which makes planning GPU purchases rough.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    These days, what I care about is noise and heat. Unfortunately these are not standard benchmark metrics, which makes planning GPU purchases rough.
    well, energy consumption would be the key indicator for both those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    well, energy consumption would be the key indicator for both those.
    Not really. It depends on how well it uses said energy.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Agree about heat, although cooling systems today are monstrous and can handle any GPU for a mild price, it seems.

Noise, on the other hand, has never been an issue for me. It is always low when not gaming, and when gaming, I put my isolating headphones anyway and don't hear a thing happening in my computer.

A bit of a update.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 next month

According our credible sources NVIDIA decided to skip GeForce 800 series and move straight to 900. Of course there is a simple explanation why did that happen.

For the past two weeks rumors about mobile GeForce 900M have been circulating around the web. Apparently NVIDIA decided to launch mobile GM204-based parts under 900M series, instead of rumored 800MX. While it makes sense for mobile parts (to differentiate Kepler from Maxwell), it would cause chaos in desktop naming consistency.
    Long story short, if NVIDIA didn’t rename 800 series to 900 series, we would have desktop 800 and mobile 900M series in relatively short time.

That said, NVIDIA has finally came to the conclusion that synchronizing desktop and mobile platform series is crucial to keeping things simple. So technically there are no desktop 800 series, unless of course NVIDIA decides to launch them as OEM exclusive.

Some of you will ask why did we report about 880 and 870 last month. It’s because the decision to rename GeForce 800 to 900 series was made just recently, at the time these cards were codenamed exactly how we reported.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 900 series paper launch second week of September

Okay, so you know how these cards are going to be called, now when should you expect these cards to be released?
    We told you there’s a big press event in September. Today we will update this information. The event in question will take place second week of September, most likely between 9th and 10th. However, that is just a ‘paper launch’.
    The actual NDA for both cards will lift on September 19th. Bear in mind, those dates may change at any time.

NVIDIA Second Generation Maxwell Announcement — September 9-10th
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 NDA lift date — September 19th

I made this rather unprofessional looking chart, so just show what is happening in both camps in the next few months. AMD is about to release two Tonga-based card: Radeon R9 285 coming next week, and R9 285X coming after Maxwell GM204 announcement. There’s also R9 295X, which is currently on hold, meaning its release will depend on GTX 980 performance.

NVIDIA will release both GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 in two weeks, while GTX 960 is expected somewhere in October. In the same month NVIDIA will also launch its mobile series — GeForce 900M, introducing first mobile GM204-based graphics cards.

We are not sharing any specs yet, because nothing except 4GB 256b memory configuration, has been confirmed.

Chart below does not represent performance segregation, it was just made just to visualize of what is to come.
    Source : http://videocardz.com/51426/nvidia-t...-mid-september

TL;DR : Name very likely to be changed to the GTX 960/970/980 instead of the 860/870/880 so it will match the 900m series that is coming for laptops.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-08-29 at 02:32 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

That's odd. Guess i'll be getting 980's then. Stupid marketing messing with nomenclature.

What will that make the next series called?

15+ Year Old Account
    880, 980, potatoes or potatos.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Not impossible. It is probable, but I will be waiting on official thingies before I take things for granted.
    But geeze, it will make my GTX 680 seem so much older in comparison.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Not impossible. It is probable, but I will be waiting on official thingies before I take things for granted.
    But geeze, it will make my GTX 680 seem so much older in comparison.
    Tis already so old. <3

Honestly though, something about the 600 series really made me despise it. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water