Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Mythic 5 mans rewarding cosmetic armor?

I personally think Blizzard doesn't do enough for 5 mans. I am pleased with what they are doing with WoD for 5 mans with leveling dungeons (only 4 but still), normal mode dungeons, heroic mode dungeons and challenge mode dungeons. However, some of the rewards may not feel satisfying to some, likewise to me. Since LFR will have gear that will be more powerful than heroic modes 5 mans.

So I kinda want to consider possibly having a mythic mode for 5 mans. However, instead of dropping gear, I kinda want to add the suggestion of adding only cosmetic armor. New armor. New art. I feel like mythic mode (it doesn't have to be called mythic mode either) will do it some kind of justice.

The difference between Challenge modes and Mythic mode will be that instead of times run, it won't be timed and the enemies/bosses will have more hp/dmg/possible abilities. So Challenge mode rewards unique weapon art, mythic mode rewards unique armor art likewise with MoP.

I only say this because even with challenge modes, there has always been the widespread notion with the endgame players that challenge modes just aren't satisfying enough. I personally despise timed runs. Never enjoyed skipping trash, always kinda ruined my immersion in some way.

Thoughts.

Deleted
    Gear does not always have to be better......just needs to look it!

Your idea is sound and would stop the numbers running out of control once again, plus I'd rather see it in the game than the cash shop

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Since LFR will have gear that will be more powerful than heroic modes 5 mans.
    Wanna give a source on that?
    Blizzard has forgone the route of taking risks with their stories and has decided that
    pandering to the rebellious pre-teen mindset is a safer bet. Thanks Metzen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingBreezes View Post
    Umm someone else will source it for me. I know what I say is true though.

I don't know who is spreading this false rumors, but it's not true.

All we know is that CHALLENGE MODES will give you a chance to get an epic on the same ilvl as LFR (chest, just like heroic scenarios), so I highly doubt heroics will give better loot than that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingBreezes View Post
    Ion Hazzikostas:
    To some extent we’re looking to make heroic dungeons in Warlords of Draenor more difficult than they were in Mists. They aren’t going to be as difficult as they were in Burning Crusade,[...]But we’re actually exploring the possibility of having Challenge Modes, as well as the speed component, also offer a chance at some gear rewards, LFR quality perhaps, so someone who doesn’t want to do LFR can do some hard content with friends and get epics that way. [...]

By logic: If the harder CMs possibly reward LFR gear this would mean LFR gear > heroic dungeon gear. There would be no reason to give harder versions worse gear.

Will be a bit disappointing if there's no new CM sets, but I'm holding out hope for a "tier 2 meta" later in the xpac that could reward it

Quote Originally Posted by D-angeL View Post
    By logic: If the harder CMs possibly reward LFR gear this would mean LFR gear > heroic dungeon gear. There would be no reason to give harder versions worse gear.
    Yeah LFR is very likely going to be higher level than heroic 5 mans. I don't expect the gear to be much better than base level crafted gear though. Makes crafted/lfr/apexis and CM dailies a nice base level to work from.

While we're on that actually, does anyone know what the level of CM's is going to be this time around? Is it going to be normal 5 man ilvl or heroic 5 man ilvl? I imagine even if you're just going for a final boss kill and not a medal, the daily heroic might take a few days for people to start clearing. So no week one 7 epic people floating around.

Unless I'm mistaken, 5 man heroic and LFR are same ilvls.

5 mans normals > LFR or heroic 5 mans > Normal Mode > Heroic Mode > Mythic.
    Shuttle of Illidan

I always thought the timer in challenge modes made them less enjoyable. I don't wanna race, I want clever tactics.

I am Shaman - Play Free Online Games
    FML... Shamans suck.

Blizzard will only create content that appeases a large group of players

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
    I always thought the timer in challenge modes made them less enjoyable. I don't wanna race, I want clever tactics.
    I'm 100% with you on that. Give me 3 hour long dungeons any day where the trash mobs require slow, deliberate pulling, have bigger HPools, need to be marked for kill order, LoS pulled, kited, CC'ed, stunned, interrupted.. and when groups don't do those things, there should be serious consequences, like extra mobs to pick up, or the Tank/Healer getting MC'ed/Poly'ed, or being mass-fear'ed into a patrol, etc.

I think it's actually a good thing when you go into a dungeon for the 3rd/4th time and actually remember the names of mobs which killed you last time. That feels much better to me than everything just being instantly forgettable because it was so easy.

Also (IMO) they should switch CC into aggro spells again and allow them to pull, and bring back the chance for CC to randomly break early or be resisted, as well as increase the aggro/threat radius back up to its original levels for body pulls.

As for the rewards, If you have content which takes longer than LFR, has a premade group requirement, and a much higher difficulty, then there's nothing wrong with better-than-LFR rewards; since you're looking at a difficulty designed for an entirely different audience than LFR.
    Last edited by mmoc2462c4a12d; 2014-08-03 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
    the challenge should be the bosses, not chugging invis pots and cleaving down trash that hates melee.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://wod.wowhead.com/item=109939&bonus=524

Heroic dungeon drop, ilvl 630.

http://wod.wowhead.com/item=115390
    http://wod.wowhead.com/item=115406

If these are anything to go by, LFR is probably about 645.

Hell, there are some crafted items better than heroic dungeons. Like, a lot of them.

http://wod.wowhead.com/item=116187&bonus=525

Supposedly good for leveling alts as well seeing as they require level 91 to use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, 5 man heroic and LFR are same ilvls.

5 mans normals > LFR or heroic 5 mans > Normal Mode > Heroic Mode > Mythic.
    Yep you're mistaken. A lot of people seems to have misunderstood this. Personally I'd love having it that way though.

Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    Gear does not always have to be better......just needs to look it!

Your idea is sound and would stop the numbers running out of control once again, plus I'd rather see it in the game than the cash shop

Hear hear. Cosmetic armour is a cool reward. Especially some armour/weapons that remain unused in the database. Maiev's umbra crescent (her weapon), Akama's one-handed scythes, the Cataclysm trident models, different colour tiers, the T5 weapons, etc.

Cosmetic-only rewards don't draw in enough people to make it worthwhile.

They already stated that they will be adding mythic-level versions in a later patch, please keep up. And they will be dropping gear equivalent to the iLVL of that patch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Cosmetic-only rewards don't draw in enough people to make it worthwhile.
    Yeah, this really why content for premade groups needs to have more worthwhile rewards than quick/easy/queueable/asocial content - the reward structures are the difference between players interacting with others, versus treating it as a single-player game.

they mentioned before that "mythic" 5 mans will exist, but only to ensure we don't have a wrath/cataclysm situation where a patch adds three dungeons and suddenly those are the only dungeons you will run. Some or all old ones will gain a new difficulty/gear tier to match.