Deleted

Crippling bug/problem with my fire mage - "heating up" procc disappearing

Hello all,
    I am leveling a mage alt (lvl 75 atm) and I am having a major problem - the "heating up" procc is disappearing/ ending prematurely, without being transformed into the instant Pyroblast! I just did Violet Hold dungeon and during whole run I got like 1 or 2 hot streak pyroblasts, despite having nearly 30% spell crit.

Is it because I am not max. level yet? But why? I checked my spellbook for missing talents and it looks like I have most of Fire's toolkit already, just missing Combustion.

it will dissapear if the next cast doesnt crit. there is a 0.25 (ish?) "grace" period to allow for inferno blasting which is why it doesnt immediantly fade

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    it will dissapear if the next cast doesnt crit. there is a 0.25 (ish?) "grace" period to allow for inferno blasting which is why it doesnt immediantly fade
    ^ This.

From what I remember, you wait until you get Heating Up, then cast Inferno Blast (don't stop your previous cast though) which is a guaranteed crit to force a Hot Streak procc, then carry on casting Fireball until you get a second Heating Up (or until the HS procc is about to run out) - and then cast Pyro and hopefully a second Pyro right after.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-08-04 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    From what I remember, you wait until you get Heating Up, then cast Inferno Blast (don't stop your previous cast though) which is a guaranteed crit to force a Hot Streak procc, then carry on casting Fireball until you get a second Heating Up (or until the HS procc is about to run out) - and then cast Pyro and hopefully a second Pyro right after.
    Fireball *Crit* > Fireball-Inferno Blast (cast IB immediately after the Fireball).

OP, If you fail to crit a second time in a row, you lose Heating Up.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-08-05 at 12:57 PM. Reason: That last part made me seem like a dick. It was unintended.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Guess that makes it easier to read than mine.

once u get the little fire things on ur ui, queue up a fireball then when it goes off chain with inferno blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    once u get the little fire things on ur ui, queue up a fireball then when it goes off chain with inferno blast.
    You will already have a Fireball queued up before your Heating Up appears. The goal is to make sure you don't queue another the instant you notice it, and instead queue up IB (like you said). With high Haste, it can be really tricky though. IMO I wish they would make it so HU disappears after TWO failed crits instead of one, or gave you a 1.5s delay grace period after a single non-crit; would make Scorch a hell of a lot better since it has no travel time.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    You will already have a Fireball queued up before your Heating Up appears. The goal is to make sure you don't queue another the instant you notice it, and instead queue up IB (like you said). With high Haste, it can be really tricky though. IMO I wish they would make it so HU disappears after TWO failed crits instead of one, or gave you a 1.5s delay grace period after a single non-crit; would make Scorch a hell of a lot better since it has no travel time.
    sound triggers avoids a lot of slow reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    sound triggers avoids a lot of slow reactions.
    I've added sound triggers and they barely help with Scorch at times :\

Can we please stop replying on answered threads?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Can we please stop replying on answered threads?
    op hasnt replied, so maybe it isnt answered to him?

Fireball *Crit* > Fireball-Inferno Blast (cast IB immediately after the Fireball).

OP, If you fail to crit a second time in a row, you lose Heating Up.
    Do you know how it works with scorch? When there is movement I use scorch, but managing the procs with a spell that casts fast and has no travel time is rather difficult. I try to react as quick as I can to HS procs but sometimes I screw up.

Just a natural thing of fire spec right?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    Do you know how it works with scorch? When there is movement I use scorch, but managing the procs with a spell that casts fast and has no travel time is rather difficult. I try to react as quick as I can to HS procs but sometimes I screw up.

Just a natural thing of fire spec right?
    Trust me, I'm fully aware of Scorch's problems with this. In fact, I even posted about it in this thread.

Trust me, I'm fully aware of Scorch's problems with this. In fact, I even posted about it in this thread.
    Yeah I know but then.. Just ignore it or what?

Yeah I know but then.. Just ignore it or what?
    Making a sound notification helps slightly because it triggers immediately on criticals rather than waiting the extra few frames for the visual effect to kick in, but other than that, there's nothing unless they add a travel time to scorch, and MAN do I wish they would.

Making a sound notification helps slightly because it triggers immediately on criticals rather than waiting the extra few frames for the visual effect to kick in, but other than that, there's nothing unless they add a travel time to scorch, and MAN do I wish they would.
    Is dps affected greatly by this scorch problem?

Is dps affected greatly by this scorch problem?
    At high levels of Haste and Crit, absolutely. When you don't know if your first Scorch crit until after you're already casting the second and queuing up the third, you can definitely misstep an IB and get 3 crits + an IB, which results in TWO wasted criticals. Especially at the Scorch = GCD levels of Haste, things get very hectic.

It'll be a non-issue for awhile in WoD (outside of Time Warp), but it will most likely arise again come T19.

At high levels of Haste and Crit, absolutely. When you don't know if your first Scorch crit until after you're already casting the second and queuing up the third, you can definitely misstep an IB and get 3 crits + an IB, which results in TWO wasted criticals. Especially at the Scorch = GCD levels of Haste, things get very hectic.

It'll be a non-issue for awhile in WoD (outside of Time Warp), but it will most likely arise again come T19.
    Hmm I see.

I probably might change my stats to favourite arcane and play that for the remainder of the expansion. Fire is fun but yeah gotta be on your toes to perform well.

At least with arcane you can just place your rune to areas you will be in the future and chillax =)

Deleted
    Scorch is only an issue with sub 0.8 second scorch casts.

Hmm I see.

I probably might change my stats to favourite arcane and play that for the remainder of the expansion. Fire is fun but yeah gotta be on your toes to perform well.

At least with arcane you can just place your rune to areas you will be in the future and chillax =)
    You could do the same as Fire. Scorch won't be an issue for awhile, and even if it is, that's only if you're constantly spamming it, which for many situations, isn't typical. Keep in mind that ALL THREE Scorches will also have to crit, AND you'd have to have IB queued up as well for this error to occur.