Realm transfer
    Shiny store mounts
    Store pets
    Store transmog helms
    Level 90 boost

Easy money for Blizz.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    They probably make more money now because of reduced costs and less advertising.
    For the 100th time... this is not profit!!!!

The statement is about Revenue, and that means income.

Basically more money comes into their bank account from Wow players than at any other time in the history of Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Year on year means this year compared to last. Yes my first language is English and I'm qualified in the finance field. This isn't something thats up for debate or interpretation, you're incorrect.
    Dude i taught business English, i used to work producing these kinda reports, i know how to read them... u obviously dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Dude i taught business English, i used to work producing these kinda reports, i know how to read them... u obviously dont.
    I feel sorry for your students. You helped produce a generation of idiots. Do some research, then come back and apologise.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the 100th time... this is not profit!!!!

The statement is about Revenue, and that means income.

Basically more money comes into their bank account from Wow players than at any other time in the history of Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you did, but technically, you were incorrect...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...h/year-on-year

Deleted
    The Conference Call report doesnt say that, it clearly says they r making more money from Wow now than at any other time... read the report.
    I did - it clearly says they're making less revenue now than same quarter a year ago:
    http://i.imgur.com/hZ0XLyp.png

And before someone says revenue is not the same as profit, their operating income for this quarter was also down:
    http://i.imgur.com/WtuE9Uc.png

So maybe they're spinning some positive news in their non-SEC slides - maybe their running costs for WoW are lower than ever. The fact is, their SEC report says both revenues and net income were down this quarter, so I don't really care about WoW specifically.
    Last edited by mmocdd602b3b80; 2014-08-06 at 11:47 AM.

Glad to see. The more revenue they get, the longer the game will be available to us.

Keep buying them mounts and other store items! It keeps down the sub fee at that which benefits the people NOT willing to pay extra for this hobby.

That reminds me, gotta get myself a plushie...just not sure how the shipping will be.

In times of extreme content drought a whale will rationalize a 30 dollar horse as "content" and buy it anyway. Losing 8500 players a day but making more money? thats a lotta horses and helms :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people will buy every new mount/pet they release, along with using a lot of the faction/server services. I myself have used a LOT of those services, and bought a few of the mounts/pets. Along with when they're on sale, I think about 3-4 raf accounts? And 2 of those got SoR'd.

Most of the raf accounts I spent like 20 (along with 30 for the two months of subs or w/e) dollars to get to the current xpacs at that time.

They are having the F2P market benefits while making people pay for subs.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    I'm a little confused. How is the company that makes and maintains your favourite game making money, a bad thing? It just means more content, more server up time etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Its called feeding adiction. Its hard to quit once you spend so much time in a game.
    I would walk away today if there was something better. The sad fact is there is nothing out there better. Not even close IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    No one is making anyone pay a sub fee. We all choose to do that. There are no guns to peoples heads to pay the sub fee nor buy from the cash shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    No one is forcing you to buy mounts or use any of their other services to play the game at the exact same capacity anyone paying a sub fee can.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Why should I care?

Here's my approach to giving Blizzard, or any other company, my money. It seems to be an attitude that needs to spread throughout the entire gaming ecosystem, frankly.

1. Do I want it? If no, I don't buy it.
    2. Do I consider it a good value for the money? If no, I don't buy it.
    3. Do I have the money to spend? If no, I don't buy it.
    4. Is there something else I would rather spend the money on? If so, I don't buy it.
    5. I buy it.

Notice the complete lack of any other steps where I mock other people who make alternate decisions at any step of the way, or frankly give two craps if somebody did or didn't.

"How do [I] feel about it?" It's not my money, why on Earth should I care how other people choose to spend theirs? Kudos to Blizzard if they have found a way to bring in money by offering goods and services that people are willing to pay for.

Well back then we didn't have
    Faction Transfers (Maybe, I'm not going to look it up right now)
    Blizzard Store
    Race Change
    Name Change
    Appearance Change

Now that's only from WoW.

I have been paying the same since forever. Paid-services have never got my money!.

it's a shame, but from now on, most money will be made on the in-game store, on a lot of games.
    Beta club member

Quote Originally Posted by korruna View Post
    I never understood how Blizzard's model of triple dipping their customers while simultaneously providing a widely criticized content drought is something to praise as a consumer. Let me bold that: As a consumer. It doesn't surprise me that Blizzards is getting more money out of people with the cash shop and micro-transactions, plus the higher price for Warlords of Draenor.

As a consumer, you should instead be concerned; not elated. Money talks - nothing else. Unless for whatever reason you enjoyed the long span of no content!
    This^^ /10

I realize this is the internet where it's easy to lie...but one who is intelligent enough to understand business and teach a class, typically do not use the words Dude, i, kinda, r, and u.

Errrm nope it definitely doesnt read that its just compared to last year... the language used clearly says year on year, which means every year since inception.

Im guessing your first language isnt English right.

If it was simply comparing to last year then they would say that. "Revenues up on last year" There u go thats the language they wouldve used... they didnt say that, they said "Year on Year" which is an ongoing statement.

You should go back to school, or read a book, or something....You should know what you're talking about when you try to insult others. When you don't, you only look like a fool. Year on year does not mean every year since inception.

http://moneyterms.co.uk/yoy/

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...h/year-on-year

http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=year-on-year-YOY

On Topic! The whole basis of this thread that the OP created was that Blizzard made more money this year than last on World of Warcraft. Not surprising if true, the cash shop took off like a rocket in 2014, and WoD pre-orders padded it as well. I don't understand how this is a topic for discussion...

Kudos to Blizzard though for implementing Free to Play micro transactions in a subscription based game. Only they could pull it off and make it work.
    Last edited by ablib; 2014-08-08 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    No one is making anyone pay a sub fee. We all choose to do that. There are no guns to peoples heads to pay the sub fee nor buy from the cash shop.
    That's just stupid, beside the point semantic unless you're actually trying to be obtuse to the point.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

"Revenues up Year on Year
    Subscriber decline in Q2 similar to last expansion cycle
    Beta testing has begun for Warlords of Draenor"
    Preorders, son.

They got like 1 million copies of WoD paid for in advance at 60-80 USD a pop.

So 6.8 million subs (6.8 * 15$/mon * 4/monts) is 408 million. Add (lets say) 1 million WoD preorders (We'll say $65/each if every 4th person bought a deluxe, which is probably on the high side.) that's an extra 65 mill, then round it out with microtransactions via account services (which has a bit of overhead) and transactions on the ingame store (which has a near-0 overhead) a guesstimate would say roughly another 50 million (based on this research which suggests blizzard made roughly 200 million in mt's over the course of 2013.)

408 + 65 + 50

523 million. Would say that WoW is doing pretty OK. Very few companies can say that their 10 year old product is grossing anywhere near that. I would wager that the actual net is maybe 75-60% of that. which is still rather impressive. while subs are in decline, sales of the boxed copies picked up the slack. the 800k subs are worth about 48 million (per quarter), which is barely more than the estimated quarterly microtransaction levels.

I don't know if their 1 mill preorder number is including boxes preordered at retail either.