Poll: Do you like garrisons so far?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you like garrisons so far?

Do you like garrisons so far? I'm not in the beta myself so I wonder if they're actually a great feature or they only sound cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but I'd be happier if we could have more buildings.

Deleted
    No. Its just a glorified daily quest hub with dailies gated behind more dailies gated behind even more dailies. Worst thing about it is everything in WoD is tied to garrisons, so you can't even skip it if you want to do anything other than raid/pvp.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like them so far, but the implimentation is still really spotty in the beta so it's hard to judge them fairly.

It's only in the last few builds that they've really started nailing down the functionality, and several of the buildings are still missing features or bugged.

There are certainly a lot of really cool perks, like exclusive items that you can get from certain buildings (banners from the tailoring emporium, tents from the tannery, inventions from the goblin workshop, etc.) and just generally cool stuff, like the bodyguard followers you can have follow you around Draenor to help you fight, or the ability to tame mounts, trap animals for furs and meat, or cut down trees to gain garrison resources.

It's also woven into the crafting in a pretty interesting way. Most crafting recipes now require materials from multiple professions, since the garrison allows you to acquire ore and herbs, and you can build a trading post that lets you buy and sell crafting mats in exchange for garrison resources, and then fill work orders to earn resources and make a profit.

And, of course, you can even construct buildings for professions you don't have in order to craft some of the more basic items (ilvl 640) with the help of an NPC -- though you can't get the really good upgraded items (ilvl 665) without the appropriate profession.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    No. Its just a glorified daily quest hub with dailies gated behind more dailies gated behind even more dailies. Worst thing about it is everything in WoD is tied to garrisons, so you can't even skip it if you want to do anything other than raid/pvp.
    Sounds like you're pretty uninformed.

Yeah, at level 100 there are daily quests you can get there. Every day, you get to choose from one of two assignments that will send you to complete some objectives in one of the other zones.

The expansion in general has very few dailies, though, and most of the reputation factions still aren't implemented in the beta, so we don't know how many of those will involved dailies or the garrison at all.

If you only want to do your dungeons and raids, the most you'll probably want to use your garrison for is the inn, to get the dungeon daily quests (even though they only award toys/pets/etc.) or maybe some crafting buildings, since they'll make crafting/upgrading gear a bit easier. Of course, the crafted stuff isn't going to be as good as the raid drops.

People don't seem to understand that the garrisons aren't like the farm in MoP, where you had to plant seeds and deal with all this upkeep stuff like tilling and killing rodents. Garrisons are all about convenience.

It takes basically no time at all to get it initially set up, and the buildings provide you with extra benefits. Extra profession cooldowns, extra ways to get crafting materials, extra items that you can use to make the game more fun or to help you out in combat, etc.

You will want to have a garrison.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2014-08-19 at 10:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Its just a glorified daily quest hub with dailies gated behind more dailies gated behind even more dailies.
    I hate force fed dailies. It was the worst at the start of MoP and if garrisons are actually just a daily machine, well... screw that. What fun is that?

the d in WoD is for daily? pass
    Hi

I chose the third option. They're intriguing but most of the stuff that interested me has since been cut. I don't care about the Alliance, I don't care about the Horde and I most certainly don't care to once again have human and orcish architecture overshadow everything else. I wish they'd gone all out and added more racially diverse architecture so that players like me could focus on making our character genuinely feel like they were a commander or important soldier furthering the cause of their race rather than the cause of orcs or humans.

No, I don't like garrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post

Sounds like you're pretty uninformed.

Yeah, at level 100 there are daily quests you can get there. Every day, you get to choose from one of two assignments that will send you to complete some objectives in one of the other zones.

The expansion in general has very few dailies, though, and most of the reputation factions still aren't implemented in the beta, so we don't know how many of those will involved dailies or the garrison at all.

If you only want to do your dungeons and raids, the most you'll probably want to use your garrison for is the inn, to get the dungeon daily quests (even though they only award toys/pets/etc.) or maybe some crafting buildings, since they'll make crafting/upgrading gear a bit easier. Of course, the crafted stuff isn't going to be as good as the raid drops.

People don't seem to understand that the garrisons aren't like the farm in MoP, where you had to plant seeds and deal with all this upkeep stuff like tilling and killing rodents. Garrisons are all about convenience.

It takes basically no time at all to get it initially set up, and the buildings provide you with extra benefits. Extra profession cooldowns, extra ways to get crafting materials, extra items that you can use to make the game more fun or to help you out in combat, etc.

You will want to have a garrison.
    Sounds like everyone who wants nothing to do with garrisons is missing out on a lot of beneficial stuff (exactly like the farm in MoP). And on the other hand when you put a lot of effort into challenge modes you get nothing but cosmetic crap and gear upgrades you do not need. It's one big joke.

In WoW these days players who do nothing and play solo get everything and players who challenge themselves, put more time and effort into the game and play together as a team get nothing in return but minor upgrades or other stuff they don't need. It's just backwards and insulting.
    I guess no one will touch garrisons if there aren't benefits attached to it. Same with LFR, world bosses and zones/questhubs like timeless isle with their ridiculous rewards for putting in a minimum amount of time and effort.

It's also woven into the crafting in a pretty interesting way. Most crafting recipes now require materials from multiple professions, since the garrison allows you to acquire ore and herbs, and you can build a trading post that lets you buy and sell crafting mats in exchange for garrison resources, and then fill work orders to earn resources and make a profit.

And, of course, you can even construct buildings for professions you don't have in order to craft some of the more basic items (ilvl 640) with the help of an NPC -- though you can't get the really good upgraded items (ilvl 665) without the appropriate profession.
    How is this just an extra benefit. You can't tell how overpowered that is?
    Last edited by Gilian; 2014-08-19 at 11:54 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Sounds like everyone who wants nothing to do with garrisons is missing out on a lot of beneficial stuff (exactly like the farm in MoP). And on the other hand when you put a lot of effort into challenge modes you get nothing but cosmetic crap and gear upgrades you do not need. It's one big joke.
    You're acting like it takes effort to construct a building in your garrison to get the benefits you want.

I don't know exactly what you think garrisons are, but it's clear that there's a big disconnect between that and the reality.

You unlock blueprints automatically either by completing quests or reaching certain levels.

You construct the buildings by dragging and dropping the building you want onto the plot, then waiting an hour.

You upgrade the buildings to the second or third rank by clicking the upgrade button, then waiting an hour.

That's literally all there is to it.

I like followers, it's a fun system. My only real complaints there are not being able to do them from anywhere and having to get all the followers again(and level them) on alts.

I do not like the garrison itself. I don't like how they're integrated into professions at all. I can't even prospect my own ore anymore, I have to hand it over to random JC dude and he takes a fucking minute to prospect 20 ore.

I'm just not a fan of garrisons at all right now. They just aren't fun or appealing from a gameplay perspective. If Blizzard dropped garrisons and kept followers then it'd be perfect.

Some people will complain no matter what.
    When built up one doesn't even need to be in main cities anymore one will have mailboxes,trading post(basically an ah), and be able to get ore and herbs one can even fish in there which are needed too for some professions.
    So basically you have a fully functional place to hang out and do things in when not raiding or pvping.
    Heck even a pet pet battle daily.
    So why waiting for ques instead of doing nothing except trade chat none sense one can actually do a few things in their garrison.
    Also they seem to be pretty centrally located so easy to get around the new area from them

I like Garrison, needs some tweaking of course, but I HATE that as an Alliance player I'm stuck on SMV, where the sun never rises.
    Forum discussions are almost completely worthless to developers. It is a bunch of uninformed idiotic users screaming their untested crappy ass ideas over everyone else. Real data comes from studying what people do in game, how they react to changes, etc.

Nope, however not for the poll reason. Not sure why Blizzard forced garrison as a main feature. Should of been something fun on the side.

Deleted
    Always said there was a big danger of it all turning sour.....seems like the start of MOP all over again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Nope, however not for the poll reason. Not sure why Blizzard forced garrison as a main feature. Should of been something fun on the side.
    I still think garrisons should have been a guild thing. It's an mmo for crying out loud. The garrison goes a long way towards replacing cities in WoD and will surely be the place many players will hang out by default. I don't object to anything garrisons actually do, most of it sounds a great way to generate max level content, but I hate that it's not social or at least communal at all.

The garrison is NOT a glorified daily hub, that's just nonsense. It is far more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Actually, it's like the farm. It's part of the main story, and the thing you are "forced" to do with it while leveling are minimal. I was very skeptical at first, but then I tried it on beta. Loved it since then :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I still think garrisons should have been a guild thing. It's an mmo for crying out loud. The garrison goes a long way towards replacing cities in WoD and will surely be the place many players will hang out by default. I don't object to anything garrisons actually do, most of it sounds a great way to generate max level content, but I hate that it's not social or at least communal at all.

The garrison is NOT a glorified daily hub, that's just nonsense. It is far more than that.
    They considered it at first. But then, it's only a full feature for the guild master, isn't it ?
    Forum discussions are almost completely worthless to developers. It is a bunch of uninformed idiotic users screaming their untested crappy ass ideas over everyone else. Real data comes from studying what people do in game, how they react to changes, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    Always said there was a big danger of it all turning sour.....seems like the start of MOP all over again
    Oh how I'd be happy if there would be "insane" amount of dailies.

Personally I don't care about Garrisons at all. I tried a few features, and they seem ok, nothing spectacular. Though I do want to say this, I wish people that compare Garrisons to MoP dailies will stop talking out of their ass. Garrisons are 99.99999% optional, expect the first two quests where you set it up at the start of the leveling. After that, you might as well forget it ever existed.
    Last edited by Xsy; 2014-08-19 at 12:32 PM.
    1001 0111 0011 0111 1000 0101

Quote Originally Posted by Xsy View Post
    Personally I don't care about Garrisons at all. I tried a few features, and they seem ok, nothing spectacular. Though I do want to say this, I wish people that compare Garrisons to MoP dailies will stop talking out of their ass. Garrisons are 99.99999% optional, expect the first two quests where you set it up at the start of the leveling. After that, you might as well forget it ever existed.
    They're 100% mandatory for professions and for seeing story content.

If all you want to do is raid all day and don't give a crap about professions or story then they're optional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They're 100% mandatory for professions and for seeing story content.

If all you want to do is raid all day and don't give a crap about professions or story then they're optional.
    Do you not get the food / flask buff at max lvl from them now ?

Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    Do you not get the food / flask buff at max lvl from them now ?
    Oh, you still need professions to make that stuff, but you can also buy it on the auction house. If you want to make your own flasks/gems/whatever you'll need to use the garrison.