The Melee Crit Cap and You

Introduction:
    There have been a number of questions regarding the crit softcap on the forum recently. Instead of addressing each question individually, I figured I'd just create an omnibus that describes why the crit cap is what it is, and what happens when you actually do hit the crit softcap.

Melee Attack Outcomes
    Let's discuss the different kinds of things that can happen when you're attacking with a melee attack.
    1. Attck misses
      7.5% miss chance for 2H Auto Attacks
      26.5% miss chance for DW Auto Attacks
      7.5% miss chance for Special Attacks

Missed attacks do no damage.

Special attacks are basically any damage you do that isn't from Auto Attack. Things like Jab, BoK, Keg Smash, and RSK are a few special attacks that monks have.
    2. Attack is parried
      15% chance for Attacks to be Parried. By attacking the boss from behind, you cannot be parried.
      Parried attacks are effectively misses. They do no damage.
    3. Attack is dodged
      7.5% chance for Attacks to be Dodged
      Dodged attacks are effectively misses. They do no damage.
    4. Attack is a Glancing Blow
      Fixed 24% chance for successful Auto Attacks to do 75% damage and cannot crit. Chance cannot be reduced by any means.
    5. Attack is blocked
      Fixed 5% chance for attacks to deal 70% of normal damage. By attacking the boss from behind, you cannot be blocked.
      I believe it uses player type mechanics for blocks. Meaning, the boss has a 5% base chance to block, and blocks mitigate 30% of incoming damage. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    6. Attack is a critical strike
      Chance to do 200% damage on a successful attack
      For every level an enemy is above you, your chance to crit is reduced by 1% from what it is on your character sheet. A boss is 3 levels above you, thus, you have a 3% lower chance to crit a boss than what it shows on your character sheet.
    7. Attack hits for regular damage

Melee Combat Table
    Now that we've covered everything that can happen when you attempt a melee attack, let's talk about how it all fits together. WoW uses a roll system to determine what happens when you attack. This roll system is called the Combat Table.

Here's how it works:
    Each time you perform an attack, the game rolls a random number from 0 to 100.
    Each attack has a chance to be one of 7 outcomes that are rolled in the order below.
    Those outcomes are:
    1. Attck misses
    2. Attack is parried
    3. Attack is dodged
    4. Attack is a Glancing Blow
    5. Attack is blocked
    6. Attack is a critical strike
    7. Attack hits for regular damage

Each outcome has a higher priority than the outcome following it.

This all might sound confusing, but like most things in life, it can be made much simpler with a spreadsheet.

You'll notice in the following examples, there are blank cells. Those blank cells mean that nothing it being rolled for that. Once the roll gets to 100, nothing past that point can be rolled.

Here are some screenshots of common combat table examples:
    Auto Attacks from a DW WW behind boss

This image shows a WW with two 1H weapons just auto attacking. As you can see, regular hits have been pushed off the table. In fact, they'll be pushed off the table at 60% buffed crit.

Auto Attacks from a 2H WW behind boss

In this image, we see a WW with a 2H weapon just auto attacking. Even at 70% buffed crit, there's still a 9% chance to perform a normal hit.

Special Attacks from a WW behind boss

Here's how special attacks function for hitting behind the boss. You could pack over 30% more crit and still not knock non-crits off the table.

Auto Attacks from a DW BrM in front of boss

The only way that DW BrM differs from DW WW is the 5% block chance from attacking in front of the boss. No normal hits.

Auto Attacks from a 2H BrM in front of boss

Same as above. 2H has the 5% block penalty, but otherwise, it's the same as WW.

Special Attacks from a BrM in front of boss

5% block, but otherwise, same as special attacks from a WW.

Tying it all together
    If you've made it this far, I hope you'll stick around for just a bit longer. We're almost done.

As you can see from above, there is a cutoff point for WW at 60% crit where more crit adds nothing to DW auto attacks against a raid boss. For DW BrM, that number is closer to 55%. Also, for 2H, there is no reachable crit cap for 2H auto attacks.

For special attacks, the effective cap is 103% for WW and 98% for BrM. Neither of those number is attainable, so there is no effective crit cap for special attacks.

Now, how do all these caps work?
    At 70% buffed crit (that's much more crit than most players will get this expansion), we have 67% crit against a raid boss.

1. For both BrM and WW, 15-20% of our damage is auto attacks against a single target raid boss.
    2. From what we saw above, we're wasting 10% crit on DW auto attacks.
    3. This means we're wasting about 2% of our damage from our auto attacks.
    4. Just by dual wielding instead of using a 2H weapon of similar ilvl, we gain 5% damage, so that's making up that damage 2% loss right there.
    5. Add to that the other 80% of our damage that is modified by crit past the DW crit soft cap, and you can see that there is no reason that we should ever completely negate the value of crit past the softcap.
    6. For WWs, crit over the crit soft cap is a bit better than haste over the haste soft cap.
    7. For BrMs, get mastery to where your healers can keep you alive, then pump everything into crit

TLDR
    Prefer DW over 2H when the weapons are of similar ilvl.
    The value of crit over the soft cap isn't reduced by much.
    For WWs, crit is still a bit better than haste over the haste soft cap, so don't stop stacking it.
    For BrMs, stack mastery until your healers stop complaining about how squishy you are, then go full out on crit.

Resources
    Here's the spreadsheet I made: LINK

I have it write protected, but you can save a copy for yourself and play around with the numbers. Everything automatically scales when you change the % chance for each type of combat outcome.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-08-10 at 01:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a whole lot of work for something that A) most people already knew and B) doesn't really have a lot of uses since for BrM you still stack crit after that and WW crit is their dump stat anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    That's a whole lot of work for something that A) most people already knew and B) doesn't really have a lot of uses since for BrM you still stack crit after that and WW crit is their dump stat anyways.
    You'd be right except for the fact this question gets asked multiple times per week. I'm tired of answering each question individually, so I figured I'd just put all the time that I'd spend answering all those questions and just link everyone to this instead. Thanks for being supportive btw. It's what keeps me coming back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    Auto Attacks from a DW WW behind boss
    Monks always give 110%. =P
    Edit: lame joke aside, i think this thread was certainly worth making and could probably be locked and stickied so people have no excuse to miss it. I've seen way too many "BrM crit" questions this week.
    Last edited by Infective; 2014-08-10 at 02:50 PM.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'd think that, but every few days someone asks a question about the "crit cap" for either spec.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    You'd be right except for the fact this question gets asked multiple times per week. I'm tired of answering each question individually, so I figured I'd just put all the time that I'd spend answering all those questions and just link everyone to this instead. Thanks for being supportive btw. It's what keeps me coming back here.
    It gets asked again and again bc people are too stupid to use a forum search. Making a completely new thread won't fix that.

It gets asked again and again bc people are too stupid to use a forum search. Making a completely new thread won't fix that.
    Yes, but now we can just link to this and forget about it. Just because you aren't the target audience for this thread does not make it useless, although it is a bit redundant.

Also, does anyone know how block actually works. The information I found on the Google doesn't quite mesh with the parses I looked at. From the parses, it looks like 2.5% is closer to a tank's chance of being blocked. Most of the sources I found through Google said 5%. The difference isn't really important. I'm just curious now.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-08-10 at 04:51 PM.

Just don't forget to strike half of this out when 6.0 hits in ~2 months as the entire mechanics of AA will be a lot different (no glancing, 3% parry, 0% dodge, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Just don't forget to strike half of this out when 6.0 hits in ~2 months as the entire mechanics of AA will be a lot different (no glancing, 3% parry, 0% dodge, etc).
    The OP in this thread is already a lot longer than I'd like. Cutting half of its length would be a good thing.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-08-10 at 05:12 PM.