Weapon Choice Help for WW.

I currently have two 1hs but my OH is the OH from Timeless Coins, my MH is the fist weapon from The second boss in SoO LFR. I recently got the polearm from Malkrok LFR, i was wondering which would work out better, i know 1hs are better but i cant decide when my OH is so low in ilvl and damage. My character is named Dansone on Hyjal, this is my first monk and im still learning about the class but so far this is one of my favorites to play. Any and all help welcome.

This is one of the most asked questions.

I see you're new here, so I won't yell at you for not knowing, but there are already a lot of resources on this forum that you can search through with the forum's built-in search tools. You can search for threads that cover a question you might have by clicking the "Search Forum" link on the right side of the forum above the first thread. If you want to search through a specific thread, click on that thread. Then, click "Search Thread" toward the top, right-hand side of the window above the first post. From there, you can search a specific thread about whatever you want. Doing this will prevent redundant threads from cluttering the forum.

We have a stickied topic for each Monk spec that should provide guidance and answer whole lot of questions that you may have. You should take a look at the WW sticky at the very least.

From the WW sticky:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysmera View Post
    1.1 Weapons
    Monks can use staves and polearms, or they can dual-wield one-handed maces, swords, axes, and fist weapons. The stats for each weapon is important in calculating the damage of your spells. Therefore, you should always place the most emphasis on upgrading your weapons.

1.1.1 Which to Choose?

Dual wield is (almost always) king. Here's a basic idea of how to choose your weapon:
    • You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed weapon that is ten item levels or less above both. Choice: dual wield. The difference between the two hand and dual wielding will be arbitrary at best.
    • You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed wepaon that is more than ten item levels above your main hand. Choice: two-hander. The difference in stats and weapon damage on the two-hander should be significant enough to show a difference between it and your mainhand.
    • Your Main Hand is the item level of current tier (let's say 496, which is Tier 14 "normal") and your offhand is that same main hand's Looking For Raid Version (let's say 483). A 496 staff drops. Choice: dual wield. Even with a worse Offhand, the differenge is neglible at best, and dual wield should still pull ahead.
    • Your Main Hand is the item level of the current tier (we'll say 496 again), but your offhand is from a previous tier (let's say 463). A two hander drops of item level 496. Choice: It depends. This is actually a more complicated question, simply because of the difference between your offhand and your mainhand. Theoretically, however, it would be advised to use the two-hander, but try to find a better offhand.

It is honestly always a hard choice when the 2H has much higher stats and item level, but it really comes down to the fact that we scale with our weapon damage and dual wield gives us the benefit of double-proccing Dancing Steel (amongst other things). Early on, when RPPM trinkets scaled with weapon speed, we did see MAJOR benefit in 2H - but unfortunately, that did not go live, and so a very, very slight delta still exists between DW and 2H.

Note, however, that in current tier - with Heroic Thunderforged and several different item levels, it is not going to be uncommon for a 2H to outperform DW. That is the problem with having a tier in which weapons with a 19 item level difference can drop - it will complicate things for you.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-08-14 at 06:17 AM.

Ok thank you for the help.